Google Chrome and Win7 Taskbar

Olexijl

Hello,

At all Win7 and Chrome users: there seems to be a bug with behaviour of Chrome on Win7 (in the taskbar).

I am new to Chrome. I installed Chrome 25.0.1364.72 (the latest stable) but it seems there is a bug in there.

Every program on Win7 behaves the same once the symbol of the program is 'pinned' to taskbar. There are rules as following:

1. If the program's symbol/icon is 'pinned', on launch of the program no other symbol/icon of the program is showing then the one already 'pinned'

2. In case of browsers you can change the tabs (if many opened) from the taskbar (to do so hover your mouse on 'pinned' symbol of the browser and change the tabs).

2a) The same goes for documents in MS Office as example. You can change between documents in Word etc.

Now what i mean is as example on Firefox..

FFTaskbar_zpsa18f7424.jpg

Chrome, however, breaks those rules completely. It behaves like a single tab browser in general (even if many tabs opened) and there are TWO! separate icons showing.

Look:

There are many tabs opened:

chrometabs1_zps41f52c45.jpg

However it behaves like one tab opened, besides 2 icons on taskbar:

chrometabs2_zps1c0cf8b2.jpg

Edit: so what do you think? Even IE (however it is built-in) behaves the same, if it comes to taskbar. Only Chrome seems to make his own thing.

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with 2 icons occurs just after fresh install.

As temporary fix:

1. launch Chrome. The NEW icon appears.

2. 'Pin' this icon on taskbar.

3. Remove the one OLD icon the setup of Chrome created from the taskbar by 'unpinning' it.

Now it works correctly. The icon generated by Chrome's setup should not be used. Merely one you 'pinned' by yourself alone.

But there is a bug with single tab behaviour with multiple tabs opened. There is no help for it.

Once more strange behaviour:

the rightclicking menu (contextmenu) shows no option to open the new tab. It is possible to open "new window" and "new 'inkognito' window", but no tabs.

WTF! :(

Google, don't be evil to me. I could be dissappointed.

PS: any thoughts? Perhaps to contact Google on this issues? That's why i actually prefer Firefox...

Strangely enough, I have the same issues... With Firefox, I have an "Open a new tab" option, with Chrome I don't, but what's even weirder, is that I don't have an option to switch between tabs even in Firefox. :s Do I have something disabled in my system? I have Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

EDIT: Oh... right, I get it. You have multiple windows open, not tabs, did the same, works with both Chrome and Firefox, can see both of the windows when hovering to Chrome icon and Firefox icon on the taskbar. :)

Strangely enough, I have the same issues... With Firefox, I have an "Open a new tab" option, with Chrome I don't, but what's even weirder, is that I don't have an option to switch between tabs even in Firefox. :s Do I have something disabled in my system? I have Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

EDIT: Oh... right, I get it. You have multiple windows open, not tabs, did the same, works with both Chrome and Firefox, can see both of the windows when hovering to Chrome icon and Firefox icon on the taskbar. :)

No. I spoke specially about tabs, not windows. I too have Win7 x64 Ultimate german. And my screenshots for Firefox are meant as tabs.

Perhaps you have to rename your FF profile (%appdata%\Mozilla) and remove FF, reinstall it again. If not working, you have something strange there.

Actually i am bad at troubleshooting, it is working for me.

Edit:

Fix: I got it.

1. Go to Preferences of Firefox.

2. Go to "Tabs" there.

3. There is an option (usually disabled) to enable previews of tabs in taskbar. Enable it.

Hello,

At all Win7 and Chrome users: there seems to be a bug with behaviour of Chrome on Win7 (in the taskbar).

I am new to Chrome. I installed Chrome 25.0.1364.72 (the latest stable) but it seems there is a bug in there.

It's not a bug unfortunately, it's a feature and it's marked a won't fix

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=8036#c120

edit wrong buf, still won't fix

Chrome is only good for its built-in language translator for some sites that I need it for... otherwise I just use IE10 on Win7

If you would like to know my opinion: Chrome would be an awesome browser. It is quick and not much bloated. His engine is efficient. His search is powered by Google and is efficient again.

I love his extensions and themes.

But: the inability to control tabs from taskbar downgrades it to IE1.0 or Netscape Navigator on Win95. Totally dissappointment.

• Administrator

If you would like to know my opinion: Chrome would be an awesome browser. It is quick and not much bloated. His engine is efficient. His search is powered by Google and is efficient again.

I love his extensions and themes.

But: the inability to control tabs from taskbar downgrades it to IE1.0 or Netscape Navigator on Win95. Totally dissappointment.

Chrome is a great browser. But if you make extensive use of it, you'll find that it not only it's half cooked, it also lacks experience of a old browser.

Archived