"Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed"

dcs18

• Replies 46
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to find that none of us are brawling - it's been a honest discussion thus far. :thumbsup:

Just a couple of clues - it's very important to understand that Windows 8 is being compared with Vista purely under the following 2 parameters:-

01.) Out-of-the-box

We are not trying to pitch a stock Vista against a comprehensively modded & tweaked Windows 8 (with plastic surgery replete.)

02.) The initial release

Windows 8 is just 7 months old and Vista is about six years old.

However, even when these 2 OS are compared against just their first 7 months - it is a fact, that Vista had a more popular start.

Based on the above 2 clues - what could then, be that 6th reason that is still not mentioned any anyone, here? (BTW, some excellent points have already been raised.)

Shall pen my reason # 6, EOD.

So here's why I dislike Windows 8:

- Metro: I dislike that they removed the transparency. I'm cool with the "Ribbon UI" or whatever its called, its handy.

- Unable to boot directly to Desktop or disable the "Start" screen completely.

- The last reason is that they removed this feature, I'm not sure how to say it but it was really handy while renaming files for me. Here's the screenshot of what I'm referring to. When renaming the file, I could see the original file name.

bQbfkbd.png

Windows 8 is a failure.

Maybe it will become the first free OS from microsoft (as it was available almost free $15 upgrade, then wmc key trick) and still people will not use it :P :lol:

Windows 8 is a failure.

Maybe it will become the first free OS from microsoft (as it was available almost free $15 upgrade, then wmc key trick) and still people will not use it :P :lol:

This is the first useless post in this otherwise technical thread - I don't see any value-addition. :thumbsdown:

Internet People Really tell me this that if you hate windows 8 so much why do you keep posting articles about why its bad or worse or why its good

or x ways to tweak windows 8

THIS SHOWS THAT YOU LIKE WINDOWS 8(YOU FIGHT THE MOST WITH WHOM YOU LOVE THE MOST)

BY THE WAY I TOO HATE WINDOWS 8 :rolleyes:

Guys, kindly stop posting off-topic - this is purely about a 6th reason for the Windows 8 failure against Vista (if you cannot think of one, please stop posting nonsense.) :frusty:

Let's stay on-topic - this thread is intended to help DKT27 as a reference-point when he starts his actual Bug thread on Windows 8.

OK, rep. awarded to all those who were bang on target WRT the topic highlighted in red above. ;)

• Administrator

I must point out though. Microsoft has fixed a lot of bugs and issues via Windows Updates. :)

RadioActive

One more thing that I found quite frustrating is they removed Aero! Why on earth would they do that is beyond me. Windows 8 colors look like something between XP and Vista. A complete and utter failure in that regard and with no way to remedy it and the so called "Aero Lite" feels like nothing more than a cheap imitation to me.

Off-topic: From my point of view, touchscreen will never be practical on PCs. They are just not meant to be used that way. If the PC uses a touchscreen then it's nothing more than an over-sized tablet.

I must point out though. Microsoft has fixed a lot of bugs and issues via Windows Updates. :)

Yep, true!!!

However, (wont talk about Windows 8 positives, on this thread - only negatives) you might have noticed how people keep on repeating about the bugs without describing a single one.

I was in a different forum where a 3rd party accessory is created for Windows 8 and RobrPatty was just about to consume a very nasty bug - he failed to recognize me (as I don't use the same handle) and fell victim following which I had a pow-pow with the Author of that bug that causes Windows 8 to fail to survive a reboot.

Subsequently, I published a global red alert against that bug which RobrPatty has never even mentioned once, in my tutorial.

Windows :beta:

Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows 8

Windows Final Stable :win:

Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 9(?)

:think:

The biggest grudge I hold against Windows 8 is the high DPC Latency issue. The annoying stuttering drives me crazy.

OK, guys - here's reason # 6 (everyone knows it in their sub-conscious - but, it is taken for granted and nobody in my view seems to have mentioned it.)

The Author, Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols mentioned 5 satisfactory reasons as to why Vista fared better than Windows 8 at the age of 7 months (both out-of-the-box.) However, those 5 reasons were merely satisfactory the 6th reason which was the prime reason for the failure of Windows 8 against Vista was:-

At the age of 7 months, the stock Vista had just one Competitor - XP.

On the other hand, today at the same age, Windows 8 has 2 Competitors - XP and Windows 7 (it was this second competitor, Windows 7 more than anything else that failed the growth chart of Windows 8 as compared against Vista.)

Now, I'm afraid, as the OP - I cannot be the winner. The best answer belongs to november_ra1n - his contention being that the difference between XP and Vista was far more than the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8. :clap:

OK, now that we have concluded the business for the day - guys, feel welcome to go off-topic, no problem and no retribution. We're still cool. :D

One of the proper functionality problems I have besides metro & no start menu is its just too buggy. I would much rather use vista than win8. Vista was much more stable... sure it had its issues but it didn't crash or freeze or lock you out like win8. I just can't get win8 to function at all. Personally I don't know how MS could even release such a poor OS to the public.

Bugs, bugs everywhere in Windows 8.

And yes, I'm compiling a list. However, will take a long time before I make a thread, I want to get the steps correct.

I am not seeing any bugs in win8, in fact win 8 fixed the worst bug for me in win 7, namely that it kept loosing connection to my bluetooth mouse (it must have been a problem specific with my laptop hardware because it worked with other win7 installs with different hardware) but it made using my computer really annoying.

Beside fixing that bug win8 looks much more beautiful and stylish compared to the glossy win7 theme....and oh my laptop is fast, it's really much faster especially booting and starting up programs....

^^^^

You do know that the Aero theme can be turned off in win 7 too

that looks even worse, win8 has some transparency but much more subtle but it's especially the new icons which look better

If the PC uses a touchscreen then it's nothing more than an over-sized tablet.

+1 :D

Can i just say one thing about windows 8 being touchscreen?

How does a blind person use it?

A blind person can play piano (keyboard like style) but with no keyboard/keys a person cant learn where the keys are?

C'mon guys - we're not gonna fight each other (let's speak out our hearts - 2 members just did an awesome job.) :D

On this thread, I'm not gonna be defending Windows 8, either - we're cool & composed, but ruthless (speak out.) :yes:

Maybe you misunderstood, maybe you didn't, but I was never fighting November, I just wanted to express myself the way I did back there - no emotions were connected to the message I made.

I just want to clarify that in case someone interpreted me as going on the offensive.

C'mon guys - we're not gonna fight each other (let's speak out our hearts - 2 members just did an awesome job.) :D

On this thread, I'm not gonna be defending Windows 8, either - we're cool & composed, but ruthless (speak out.) :yes:

Maybe you misunderstood, maybe you didn't, but I was never fighting November, I just wanted to express myself the way I did back there - no emotions were connected to the message I made.

I just want to clarify that in case someone interpreted me as going on the offensive.

Nope, what I'd posted was for everyone - check the word I just highlighted, above. :)

Archived