"Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed"

dcs18

Summary:

The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

Source

• Replies 46
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a 6th reason which Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has not been able to point out (actually, the 6th point is the major reason) - let's see who is the first Poster who points out the correct reason (reason # 6.) :yes:

C'mon guys, your time starts now. :)

november_ra1n

It was dramatic changed from XP to Vista people are wondering and exciting also bad side of the Vista appear to be later than 6 mounts, i am sure Windows 8 will pick up more sale in the long run. Its amazing how to people react badly just because start button replace this will show majority of people are very conservative they don't like the changes and do not want to adapt any changes.

Oh november, I would run Windows 8 right away if it wasn't for all the issues. Can I name a few? Sure I can, let's see...

1. For some reason W8 doesn't like AHCI, and I mean REALLY don't like AHCI. I had to reformat my friend's system 10 times before the OS would even remotely work in a stable state, if that's possible...

2. It won't work with two monitors. How? If I wanna watch Twitch TV and Youtube on two screens with one on each, W8 will spaz the *** out, flickering all over the place. I happen to have two monitors myself.

3. Unstable drivers. After installing the latest beta drivers for Geforce GTX 680 that my friend has and then reboot, it just won't boot, ever, I tried everything, so once again, freaking reformat. (God that was awful.)

Now if that instability is not enough, I dunno what is, cause all three of those would interrupt me using the system at all. W8 is not happening.

C'mon guys - we're not gonna fight each other (let's speak out our hearts - 2 members just did an awesome job.) :D

On this thread, I'm not gonna be defending Windows 8, either - we're cool & composed, but ruthless (speak out.) :yes:

RadioActive

The main reason I found Windows 8 to be an epic failure isn't that they introduced a mobile (touch) oriented interface to replace the classic one BUT the fact they FORCED that change. The interface is simply NOT suited for any PC/Laptop without a touchscreen. And they went as far as shoving it in our face, that's not acceptable. If it were optional, I'm sure a lot of people would receive it more favorably.

Also, when I download a drive for my sound card from Windows update then that same driver that Microsoft provided for me, crashes. Well, I draw the line!

why keep on baiting, I'm not a win8 user and I wanna know what reason #6 is :(

also, the part where devs hate is...that's exactly what someone who says is a dev said on appznet

and lol at that guy on the source link who said Win8 isn't about the desktop when that's where it will get installed the most :hehe:

MS made the right choice by adopting Metro/Modern as the basis of their OS of the future. In the short term people will complain that it is only made for phones/tablets and will say that it is stupid to use it on a PC. But in the long-term we will see the mass-adoption of touchscreen PCs, and that is the future of PCs. So in the long-term it will succeed even though it's not doing well right now.

Change is here. Market demand for touch is increasing. MS did not start this market demand. Mainly phone then tablet users did and is infiltrating into desktop PCs. I think MS did a fine job in their first attempt at this with 8. It works well with mouse and keyboard as it does with finger.

So it's not selling as much as past OSs histories, but it's selling. I didn't think it would be quick out of the gate. MS is in it for the long haul. I predict sales figures will be rising by late Spring to mid Summer, then get exponentially greater.

Opinion shared.

any change comes with rejection and challenge and usually those who are successful are those most criticized; I can read all the above and understand however I will always say who are we to judge microsoft; if we are better than MS; can either of us release something better; the old say always go by "if you don't like it, drop it" and move one in life

From the first installation; all my 5 years old hardware worked excellently and I did not have to look for any driver even - works stable, does not hang and I find it great and better than windows 7 even

yes, because I can just picture myself playing starcraft or diablo or mmorpgs on a touchscreen while getting owned by the AI in a matter of minutes

touchscreen should be for everything else other than the desktop, the last thing I want is a fingerprint smudge on my monitor.

Nothing wrong with Windows 8, sure it's a little anoying that there is no start menu, but otherwise for the little money I paied for it, it's a step forward.

MS made the right choice by adopting Metro/Modern as the basis of their OS of the future. In the short term people will complain that it is only made for phones/tablets and will say that it is stupid to use it on a PC. But in the long-term we will see the mass-adoption of touchscreen PCs, and that is the future of PCs. So in the long-term it will succeed even though it's not doing well right now.

Change is here. Market demand for touch is increasing. MS did not start this market demand. Mainly phone then tablet users did and is infiltrating into desktop PCs. I think MS did a fine job in their first attempt at this with 8. It works well with mouse and keyboard as it does with finger.

So it's not selling as much as past OSs histories, but it's selling. I didn't think it would be quick out of the gate. MS is in it for the long haul. I predict sales figures will be rising by late Spring to mid Summer, then get exponentially greater.

Opinion shared.

I would have to disagree. Touch is not a productive way to work for many people. Sure web browsing, even occasional light word documents. Not real intense work though. The whole idea of WINDOWS is the ability to have multiple things open at the same time. I may be playing music, reading an article, referencing a website, and writing a paper all at the same time. Win8 without modifications makes this setup more difficult and less efficient. Computers are to make life easier, not simply look "cool".

I like the option of a touch environment, but it is not is not the predominant environment for me to accomplish work. It would be cool to have at a party when you are really only playing music or showing videos.

• Administrator

I didn't wanted to post, but will do anyway.

5 is too much IMO. It all ends down to:

1. Metro.
  2. No Start Menu

People don't care anything else. Speed, security, etc. has no weight over proper functionality.

Us users know that yes, it can be modified for including Start Menu and turning off the Metro, but the people out there don't. Infact what's funny is, the Metro is made noob friendly as much as it's made touch friendly and general public still doesn't want it.

One of the proper functionality problems I have besides metro & no start menu is its just too buggy. I would much rather use vista than win8. Vista was much more stable... sure it had its issues but it didn't crash or freeze or lock you out like win8. I just can't get win8 to function at all. Personally I don't know how MS could even release such a poor OS to the public.

• Administrator

One of the proper functionality problems I have besides metro & no start menu is its just too buggy. I would much rather use vista than win8. Vista was much more stable... sure it had its issues but it didn't crash or freeze or lock you out like win8. I just can't get win8 to function at all. Personally I don't know how MS could even release such a poor OS to the public.

Bugs, bugs everywhere in Windows 8.

And yes, I'm compiling a list. However, will take a long time before I make a thread, I want to get the steps correct.

The other day I was talking to an old friend I hadn't seen in awhile and the topic of Windows 8 came up. My old friend was clearly negative about the new OS, however as I talked to him more and more I realized that he had never used it and the closest he had come to it was seeing TV commercials for it. I found that interesting, and I think therein is MS's biggest problem with Win 8. It started out with bad word of mouth that they just couldn't seem to get a handle on, and it never went away. They never seemed to find a "hook" that gives people a clear cut reason to want to try it. Even if using it as a Pad operating system was your thing (and because of that you might be interested in something along the lines of Metro), there's still obviously a far more popular Pad OS for Joe Average to go with. Ultimately, people can't seem to figure out a reason to want to use Win 8.

Part 2 of this is that once (or if) you have used it, it turns out to not be all that great anyway. Sure, there are some improvements. But for each and every improvement I find 3 or 4 drawbacks. I couldn't agree with DKT27 more --- there are bugs coming out of every end of this thing. The system of file permissions is one of the most asinine concoctions I've ever encountered on a computer. No "average" user will be able to navigate it, not even for relatively simple tasks.

In sum, bad word of mouth has led people to conclude its no good before its been given a chance. I said it awhile ago on this forum -- the word of mouth for Win 8 is so poor they will never be able to turn it around. That was true then, and it remains true today. If you do try it its not all that great. So where's the gain by going with it as your OS? There just doesn't seem to be a reason for it, other than that MS wants something new to sell to you. In a tough economy, you have to give people a clear and good reason to fork over their money. That reason either doesn't exist at all, or just hasn't been made clear enough for people to do it.

Bugs, bugs everywhere in Windows 8.

And yes, I'm compiling a list. However, will take a long time before I make a thread, I want to get the steps correct.

Hopefully, before you finish the list, M$ would have fixed it. :D

• Administrator

@mray88: Indeed. As I've mentioned before a couple of times, look at those Microsoft ads on TV. They show NOTHING about Desktop. It's all fugly, purple coloured Metro, with colourful tiles which do not go with Purple whatsoever. Any person would be turned off just by looking at it, everything else aside.

@ck_kent: I do have a feeling I should go back, but this thing is so fast, that I have no plans to do so. Hence, I'll be more than happy to see those bugs getting fixed. :)

Most of our customers downgraded to Wind0ws 7 due to the fact that it will not play their favorite mmorpg games!

I have already posted this before here and found some other gamers complaining the same on some other forums.

There is a lot of internet cafe shops here in our country which has an average of 100+ units on each of their branch.

Many tried upgrading but quickly reverted to wind0ws 7 as most games won't run on w8.

Maybe that wind0ws blue will include a drivers update to make w8 compatible to mmorpg games and that will help increase its sales.

That "Most (of our customer)" I mentioned above were based on a very low sales that bought new pc and laptop devices with windows 8 in it,

This simple gaming incompatibility discouraged consumers to buy new pc with w8 or install w8 in it.

(I hope I win this contest! OMG what could be the prize? tehehehe! :hehe: )

i didn't try Windows 8, but...

Can the 6th reason be "secure boot"?

Secure Boot is actually a good step in towards anti-malware along with the NX instruction bit that the OS requires on the CPU chipset which is also another anti-malware feature that Windows 8 can use... only certain systems can use Secure Boot feature though.....

Secure Boot in a nutshell: Prevents malware from infecting the core Windows boot processes.

• Administrator

Secure Boot in a nutshell: Prevents loaders from activating Windows.

Fixed. :P

Nah. Just joking. But you know it's a double edged sword for the users (a powerful, but useless weapon for Microsoft though [as far as activation part is concerned]).

Secure Boot in a nutshell: Prevents loaders from activating Windows.

Fixed. :P

Nah. Just joking. But you know it's a double edged sword for the users (a powerful, but useless weapon for Microsoft though [as far as activation part is concerned]).

LOL that was pretty good... but its fairly true tho, prevents loaders from activating Windows 8 too (because nobody has been able to make a true non-hactivator!) :P

Archived