StartIsBack 1.2.1

jalaffa

StartIsBack is a great way to relieve your (and your users) Windows 8 pain. StartIsBack returns Windows 8 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7. StartIsBack radically improves desktop usability and makes new Start screen clutter-free. StartIsBack is fully native lightweight zero-privileges program, cheap and fair, fast, stable and secure. Boot to desktop; Original fully-featured Windows 7 start menu; Desktop and Modern interfaces clearly separated; Make Start screen clutter-free; Totally native; Rich customization and configuration; And More to come! Think of it as a transition path which Microsoft should have made for Windows 8.

Download

Note: New addition to the listings.

• Replies 33
  • Views 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, didn't have to get forced signed off, this time - installer has been improved for the 'All Users' installation type.

There's a bug in the 'User Account Picture.' :(

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. From what I could read, it's only in Aero 8 theme, not in default?

Cheers ;)

There's a bug in the 'User Account Picture.' :(

I'm sure it will be fixed soon. From what I could read, it's only in Aero 8 theme, not in default?

Cheers ;)

Righto, I was seeing that as I'm using the AeroByDesign style only - not sure about other styles.

Now it has beaten Start8 GUI wise.

They need to reduce translucency on the User Picture - especially the Frame (that's the area where StartIsBack takes a beating on the GUI front.) Tihiy is planning on improvements, here.

A question, lets say I use cracked setup 1.1 then I liked it enough to pay and install 1.2 on top of it. After installing 1.2.1 I decided to uninstall to try other alternative.

Only issue is the start Orb is still at my taskbar after uninstalling. If I install Start8 it is behind the StartIsBack Orb?

StartIsBack is already uninstalled. Now how do I manually fully/cleanly uninstall the leftovers?

ReInstalling and then uninstalling did not help at all. If I try to use Unlocker on StartIsBack64.dll it will kill the whole windows taskbar + explorer nothing will load up even shortcut keys don't work. I had to use another login to put the damn .dll back to get back ussage of the affected user account.

Damn it, I decided to kill that user account. I backup everything and moved to new user account.

Really playing with desktop mods is risky.

Really playing with desktop mods is risky.

Have been playing with both StartIsBack and Start8, as well - without facing the problems you went through. :think:

Well I went crack then went legit even going back crack doesn't help.

The stupid thing StartIsBack64.dll located in AppData/Local was stuck in. ReInstalling Uninstalling etc for single user or all users is still samething. Removing with Unlocker just kills whole explorer. Even Safe Mode crash due to explorer trying to load this StartIsBack64.dll file. No way out unless you put the StartIsBack64.dll file back where it initially installed in. I decided to just simply delete my local account after backup most of the data and move everything to new user account.

Thanks jofre, :)

Archived