What do you use for protecting your system?

Ponting

Security  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you use for protecting your system?Please state the security application that you use as main layer of protection.

• Antivirus only
    • Antivirus and Firewall (separate or security suite)
    • Firewall only (including WFC,Tinywall,etc)
    • Light Virtualisation Software (eg. Shadow Defender)
    • Instant Restore Software (eg. Rollback Rx)
    • Anti-executable software (eg. Exe Radar Pro)
    • Sandboxie
    • Appguard
    • Others (please specify other)
    • No security at all - Only Common Sense

You san see my Signature. B)

• Replies 28
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Antivirus and Firewall:

MSE + Comodo. :)

Others:

Keyscrambler & Peerblock (kinda comes into a firewall, but anw).

Rarely use Sandboxie.

AV ,Firewall (windows intigrated),sanboxie sometimes and common sense

Avast Internet Security (Firewall included).

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 MP 1 (:

House_maniac

comodo internet security suite,malwarebyte pro,emsisoft antimalware i use these two as on demand scanner :)

Antivirus and Firewall:

MSE + Comodo. :)

Others:

Keyscrambler & Peerblock (kinda comes into a firewall, but anw).

Rarely use Sandboxie.

how much ram and cpu does mse consumes.

i am not happy with latest avast version on my NETBOOK, it consumes too much cpu

• Administrator

i am not happy with latest avast version on my NETBOOK, it consumes too much cpu

It varies. Sometimes it's 50MB, sometimes 75, sometimes 85. Maybe because I have 4GB RAM.

As for CPU, rarely it has reaches 25%, which is 100% of single core of my quad core processor. Otherwise, it hardly goes over 1-2%.

As for CPU, rarely it has reaches 25%, which is 100% of single core of my quad core processor. Otherwise, it hardly goes over 1-2%.

OMG with mse my netbook could prove living hell to me.

thanks for info buddy

• Administrator

OMG with mse my netbook could prove living hell to me.

thanks for info buddy

Don't be afraid. To explain it further, only once or two times it has reached 25% in so many months of usage. Which is quite good.

@DKT my netbook has single processor of 1.66ghz and 2gb ram. i have to disable avast streaming updates so that now it comsumes 0-1% cpu and 25% on scanning or threat detection.

my netbook acer AOD 250 was built for XP and i installed windows 7 premium in it coz i cant tolerate XP.

thats why i have to keep its cpu consumption low so that i can watch 720p movies for which i use modded drivers

Main: Webroot Secure Anywhere AV + Malware Defender

Back-up: KeyScrambler, Sandboxie, Hitman.

Comodo Internet Security Premium

Winpatrol

DNSCrypt w/ OpenDNS

Heimdal

I also kinda consider Adblocker as security app since it helps prevent accidental clicking of ads.

ROMANTICGUY50

Use Avast Pro and Comodo Firewall Plus SuperAnti Spyware sweeper and Malwarebytes

I am also avast user my friend, the internet security of course and using the latest version 7.0.1456..

During scan it uses around 30% of CPU and in idle 1-2% and consumes RAM about 15 MB (Avast service 10MB, Avast firewall 2MB, Avast Antivirus 3MB)

princenarwal

I am also avast user my friend, the internet security of course and using the latest version 7.0.1456..

During scan it uses around 30% of CPU and in idle 1-2% and consumes RAM about 15 MB (Avast service 10MB, Avast firewall 2MB, Avast Antivirus 3MB)

i freshly installed win xp+rapport. memory usage was about 140-150mb.

then installed mse, memory usage was 210-220. while mse services were showing 30-40 mb in task manager.

uninstalled it, memory usage was 140-150 mb.

then installed avira premium. memory usage was 300-330 mb. while avira services were showing 40-60mb in task manager.

i found that one svchost process was using more memory with avira and less without it.

so the conclusion is, calculate the difference in memory usage before and after installing the software as installed software can make other system processes or processes to use more resource.

and memory usage is not so big a deal if you have enough ram (mine 2gb hardly using it completely) the big deal is that software should not make the system to slow down and it should work smartly and efficiently.

AV, Separate FW, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, Ad Muncher, VPN, WinPatrol.

The most important imo is regular backups of C drive to an external drive. As long as the backup is clean! I can recover from just about anything.

I forgot to say VMWare Workstation if that counts. Used for testing things I don't want touching my main system. And running Shadow Defender at same time for extra security.

Comodo Firewall, Panda URL filter, norton DNS, Sandboxie, axcrypt on private folders, EMET 3.0 and appguard. Shadowdefender on-demand sometimes.

Comodo Firewall, Panda URL filter, norton DNS, Sandboxie, axcrypt on private folders, EMET 3.0 and appguard. Shadowdefender on-demand sometimes.

Which version of Shadow Defender do you use?Is it light on the system?

Archived