Intel Core i7 Benchmarks

RadioActive

• Replies 37
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holyy Sh*t :\

Thank god i didn't buy my pc yet.. The cheapest i7 costs 200 € here.. still alot.. Maybe i'll go for the 8400

DAMN!

What is the new tech that makes i7 so much better?

It's Quad Core... meaning double the performance of Dual Core ;)

DAMN!

What is the new tech that makes i7 so much better?

It's Quad Core... meaning double the performance of Dual Core :D

No no no, Quad Core isn't new tech and not important to new high performance here, i think new techs you should know are Quick Path Interconnect (QPI - memory controller intergrated like AMD CPU), Triple Channel DDR3-SDRAM, have one more pipeline faster for CPU to "talk" with orther system component... He, I waited this from Intel for a long time, now, they come truly, but $$$$$ ;)

• 3 weeks later...
These benchmarks are a bad news for AMD fan like me....... :yes: :frusty:

Well if you read all the new tech there are ind the CPU, then all the new stuff are from AMD, the only new system that intel have made are the heat/working controller, that close cores if they are not used.

But then again, you get all the best of the AMD and the INTEL CPU, in one big box. (the CPU are larger then normal :D )

Just waiting for the prices to drop...

Was AMD fanboy...

Teraflops Research Chip (Polaris), a 3.16 GHz, 80-core processor prototype, which the company says will be released within the next five years

lmao

Info:

he Teraflops Research Chip (also called Polaris) is the first processor prototype developed by Intel's Tera-scale Computing Research Program in multi-core and energy efficient computing. The processor was briefly presented at the IDF on September 26, 2006 and officially announced on February 11, 2007 and shown working at the 2007 ISSCC.

The chip contains 80 cores, each containing two programmable floating point engines and one 5-port messaging passing router. Constructed using a 65 nm CMOS process, the die is 12.64 mm by 21.72 mm (274.5 mm²) and contains 100 million transistors. The package is connected through a 1248 pin LGA with 343 signal pins.

Running at 3.16 GHz the chip achieved 1.01 TFLOPS with a total power consumption of 62 W and a on-chip temperature of 110 °C (383 K). Increasing frequency to 5.7 GHz and power to 265 W increased performance to 1.81 TFLOPS and later 2 TFLOPS.

That's 10.14 Ghz :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Benchmarking is not everything also it produces so much heat that your load temps are surely gonna cross 70 although you use custom cooler and price to performance wise AMD Phenom II is anytime better. :frusty: :frusty: :sleep: :sneaky:

AshTheGamer

I have the Intel Xeon which is pritty sweet!

They have them in mac pro's its the 8 core version!

• 6 months later...

When I save up whats left of what I need to build a new PC, I'm cramming one in it.

Of course, I refuse to buy or build until USB 3 is mainstream, it is a necessity for any new machine I get, I wish they would hurry up with it.

By then i7 will be obsolete...sad.gif

When I save up whats left of what I need to build a new PC, I'm cramming one in it.

Of course, I refuse to buy or build until USB 3 is mainstream, it is a necessity for any new machine I get, I wish they would hurry up with it.

By then i7 will be obsolete...sad.gif

For me, I'm waiting for USB3 and SATA 3 and a SSD.

• Administrator

I'm goin for a i7 coming year. But not extreme edition. I thought that i7 mobo has DDR3. :think:

@All:

You should wait for DDR3, and no, I'm not talking about graphics card memory.

There are DDR3 motherboards out there, but DDR2 is not completely dead yet.

DDR2 in some cases outperforms higher clocked DDR3, as DDR3 has higher latency, but I expect this will be resolved as the technology matures.

And I planned with the Core i7 Extreme 975. I think there will be better by the time I start.

When I build my new PC I plan to spend a lot of money, but I don't really buy into the SSD thing.

box, you've used it, does SSD really make that much a difference?

I have heard stories of many SSD's made by rigging several smaller flash memory parts to act as one, to increase storage space and cheapen the manafacturing process (since SSD's have less space), but this can rape performance to the point a 7200RPM mechanical HDD is faster or at least equal. This has shook my faith in it because I'm worried that I'll buy one that is all hype and no real gain, less space, and more cash.

Also, I was thinking of using a velicoraptor as my boot drive.

You could spend 1500USD on an i7 and be the best in benchmarks or..... you could spend 100USD on the AMD Phenom II X4 and have 1400USD to blow on other cool stuff while still having an awesome PC than can do everything you could possibly want. Why spend so much money on a CPU that WILL be obsolete in 3 years time? Unless you are really wealthy then I see no logic in the purchase. Intel always sells their CPU at outrageously high prices and all they did was take the same core architecture and added a few tweaks, as pointed out before in earlier posts.

This is intel's strategy, they release a cpu that no program or game could fully harness the power of, only benchmark software are built specifically to max the potential of the cpu and people rush in and buy it, only to end up with nothing spectacular or worth the price.

• Administrator

So even the cheapest of i7 is not worth buying? Well if I buy a new PC, I would not like to buy another PC for 3-4 years.

I guess it should, the HD has been the bottleneck for faster computers for many years...

I guess it should, the HD has been the bottleneck for faster computers for many years...

Also, take a look at this vid:

Archived