Install of 3 antivirus software - not making com crash?

salik

I did now change my firewall to COMODO and the shutdown of my PC is a lot faster now.

ZoneAlarm did really slow down my PC...

Please suggest me a good firewall (or is Comodo ok?)!

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did now change my firewall to COMODO and the shutdown of my PC is a lot faster now.

ZoneAlarm did really slow down my PC...

Please suggest me a good firewall (or is Comodo ok?)!

COMDO isn't even near to OK!

It's the best there is :P

Thanks guys!

I have now Comodo for.. umm... 2 hours with no problems.

Downloading torrents, reading nsaneforum and chatting in MSN AT THE SAME TIME! WOW!

• 3 weeks later...
It is possible to have more than one antivirus programs install on your computer. It is tricky. (You also have to select the right combination for them to work together.) However, you MUST have only one ACTIVE (real-time) and the rest in passive (on demand) mode. I have Eset installed and ACTIVE while AVG is passive. Your PC will crash if you have more than one ACTIVE. It is better to have just one good one than two lousy ones.

How do u set one to passive; want to use avira and kasp....thanks

COMDO isn't even near to OK!

It's the best there is :rolleyes:

Agreed :rolleyes: .

Another Voter here for COMODO.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to encourage multiple active AV on 1 PC or anything but I can tell you that my other PC with XP pro currently has Norton 360 v2 + Avira + Norton AntiBot all running actively. For the sake of overkill those 3 could also work together with Dr Web and NOD32 so you could put those 5 together on 1 PC and it will all work. However as others have advises multiple AV with realtime modules enabled is stupid, just use 1 for real time protection and you could use any amount for on demand scanners. Ironically on my current pc all I use is NOD32 v2.7 LOL, cuz I hate v3 it always annoys me when I disable the useless http and email scanners.

You can't really use kaspersky and anything else because kaspersky has a really huge ego and does not want anything else on the system. you could install kaspersky first then install avira and select custom install and disable the webguard, email guard and the general guard module and just leave the on-demand scanner module and rook kit module if its the premium version. Usually if you try anything with kaspersky it results in BSOD which is why kasper sucks but you could try it and see.

Not to encourage multiple active AV on 1 PC or anything but I can tell you that my other PC with XP pro currently has Norton 360 v2 + Avira + Norton AntiBot all running actively. For the sake of overkill those 3 could also work together with Dr Web and NOD32 so you could put those 5 together on 1 PC and it will all work. However as others have advises multiple AV with realtime modules enabled is stupid, just use 1 for real time protection and you could use any amount for on demand scanners. Ironically on my current pc all I use is NOD32 v2.7 LOL, cuz I hate v3 it always annoys me when I disable the useless http and email scanners.
You can't really use kaspersky and anything else because kaspersky has a really huge ego and does not want anything else on the system. you could install kaspersky first then install avira and select custom install and disable the webguard, email guard and the general guard module and just leave the on-demand scanner module and rook kit module if its the premium version. Usually if you try anything with kaspersky it results in BSOD which is why kasper sucks but you could try it and see.

Maybe I can try nod with the avira since I just bought 1 copy for 9.99 at newegg. Don't intend to use both at same time but have 1 for backup.

Wow... You guys are a all missing the boat on this one. Running all that A/V with only one firewall is like giving every in the house bug spray but leaving all the doors and windows open during a killer bee swarm attack... Good luck!

Might I suggest stacking ZA, Comodo and Outpost on top of each other along with the triple A/V mentioned. You could then run Ad-aware, Spybot concurrently along with running your Hijackthis logs on the hour 24/7/365. Then I might start to feel safe... :P

;) What are you guys all hiding on those machines?

Wow... You guys are a all missing the boat on this one. Running all that A/V with only one firewall is like giving every in the house bug spray but leaving all the doors and windows open during a killer bee swarm attack... Good luck!

Might I suggest stacking ZA, Comodo and Outpost on top of each other along with the triple A/V mentioned. You could then run Ad-aware, Spybot concurrently along with running your Hijackthis logs on the hour 24/7/365. Then I might start to feel safe... :P

;) What are you guys all hiding on those machines?

lol!!! I think you will get BSOD with that and definitely no one can hack into your pc. (not even yourself) :P

If some of you are too bothered with PC security, why not just disconnect from the internet entirely?

You'll have peace of mind this way... I promise :lol:

If some of you are too bothered with PC security, why not just disconnect from the internet entirely?

You'll have peace of mind this way... I promise :lol:

Yeah, unlike us, who spend most of our time over here! :win:

Firewalls are not that big a deal if behind a router and my purpose to have 2 installed is like I said 1 for backup in case the crack stops and I can switch over quickly.

Firewalls are not that big a deal if behind a router and my purpose to have 2 installed is like I said 1 for backup in case the crack stops and I can switch over quickly.
Indeed firewalls are not a big deal at all because most people have atleast 1 NAT firewall which pretty much blocks everything except that which users allow. That is one of my main points though that most people who think they need a million and a half firewalls are usually the ones who can't distinguish a real threat from a F/P and they kill their own pc.

Anyway for those of you who think you have top secret data on your pc that you need to hide, maybe trying to hide from the RIAA or otherwise, what makes you guys think commercial software could stop military grade intrusion? LOL. Besides that, all smart people with real top secret data do not store it on networked computers. So if you do have the formula for the deadliest new bio weapon stored on your pc then only a moron would waste time hacking it through the internet, if they want it then expect to be giving it to whoever is holding the gun to your head. :P

You also have to realise that commercial grade security software is always atleast 1 step behind military grade software so if you guys want to fool yourselves with 5 firewalls then do what makes you happy. This is especially true in USA because the government usually rules by instilling paranoid fear into the citizens then blows down some buildings with airplanes to justify changing the constitution to allow the president absolute power to go to war without having to go through congress and what not. Now everyone is scared of threats and some paid hollywood actor named bin laden. As long as the people live in fear then they turn to the government for protection, sad that the country that professes to enjoin the most freedom really has the least freedom so much so that your right to free speech is taken away from you if you have a federal job so you can't even talk badly of the government or the presidential decisions no matter how stupid they might be.

If you're worried about data being stolen I'd recommend a portable HD/USB Stick(depending on your needs) and just disable your internet connection when using it :P But I don't think many people registered here will need precautions like this, not many as in none :ph34r:

If you're worried about data being stolen I'd recommend a portable HD/USB Stick(depending on your needs) and just disable your internet connection when using it :P But I don't think many people registered here will need precautions like this, not many as in none :ph34r:

Unless you work in the military holding high rank. :lol:

Unless you work in the military holding high rank. :lol:

Shoot, I'd better get a portable HD as fast as possible in that case :D ;)

Guess I'm safe then, since I retired from military over 22yrs ago.

You never know, they might still be after you :tank:/ :ninja: :fear:

/ : Depending in which war you fought ;) :P (If you did any, if not you're just a :showoff2:, just kidding :) :D)

Guess I'm safe then, since I retired from military over 22yrs ago.

You never know, they might still be after you :tank:/ :ninja: :fear:

/ : Depending in which war you fought ;) :P (If you did any, if not you're just a :showoff2:, just kidding :) :D)

Short name "nam", 101st Abn

Archived