Install of 3 antivirus software - not making com crash?

salik

Hi all, I had like to try out a task or sort, hopefully I can get some help.

Say I am going make a super computer and I am going to install 3 antivrus software, example AVG, Avira and Symantec

I heard and know that installing too many antivirus can cause the computer to crash or that it will lower down the protection etc etc.

And so is it possible that when I am scanning my computer, I can choose one of the 3 antivirus software without making my computer crash?

Example. AVG is my main protection, while Avira and Symantec is the sub-protection. Something like that. So possible?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advices! :o

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~ moved to soft chat ~

and why would you want 3 av's on your system?

avira should be able to handle everything with ease.....if you don't like it, then switch to either Nod or Kaspersky

It will not work together, as a matter of fact, you might not be able to install all of them at all.

You can install one, but the following one will detected the existing AV, and not installed at all.

~ moved to soft chat ~

and why would you want 3 av's on your system?

avira should be able to handle everything with ease.....if you don't like it, then switch to either Nod or Kaspersky

Yeah, there's no point for more than one AV, it's doesn't necessarily mean extra protection at all. Get Avira and you should be fine.

Remember that an anti-virus takes ressources, and often interrupt or corrupt installations of programs. They interfere with themselves. Symantec products and suite shouldnt be installed on anything else but grandma computer. Their products getting worse and worse as they remove the ability to easily kill the process while taking control of your machine. They seems to follow microsoft trails in building bulkier stuff that support irrelevant stuff :o Symantec still build good specific appz for specific virus removal tho.

It is possible to have more than one antivirus programs install on your computer. It is tricky. (You also have to select the right combination for them to work together.) However, you MUST have only one ACTIVE (real-time) and the rest in passive (on demand) mode. I have Eset installed and ACTIVE while AVG is passive. Your PC will crash if you have more than one ACTIVE. It is better to have just one good one than two lousy ones.

It is possible to have more than one antivirus program install on your computer. It is tricky. (You also have to select the right combination for them to work together.) However, you MUST have only one ACTIVE (real-time) and the rest in passive (on demand) mode. I have Eset installed and ACTIVE while AVG is passive. Your PC will crash if you have more than one ACTIVE. It is better to have just one good one than two lousy ones.

Agreed. I have 2 AV's, and like what box said, one is passive and the other is active.

Why 2 AV's? If the 1st AV failed to grab a particular virus then the 2nd AV will be for backup.

It is possible to have more than one antivirus program install on your computer. It is tricky. (You also have to select the right combination for them to work together.) However, you MUST have only one ACTIVE (real-time) and the rest in passive (on demand) mode. I have Eset installed and ACTIVE while AVG is passive. Your PC will crash if you have more than one ACTIVE. It is better to have just one good one than two lousy ones.

Agreed. I have 2 AV's, and like what box said, one is passive and the other is active.

Why 2 AV's? If the 1st AV failed to grab a particular virus then the 2nd AV will be for backup.

I see. Anyway there is 2 AV installed in my computer. Mainly symantec and avira. May I know how to set Avira to be active while symantec to be on demand?

Thanks in advance again! :P

To tell you the truth man, if your using symantec products, your going to NEED a super computer. It takes so much cpu time and ram the computer becomes a dedicated anti-virus machine instead of a tool to use for other things.

I see. For the symantec, I was going to uninstall it anyway and install it with other AV software. But right now, the problem I have is that how to make one of my AV to be active while the other to be passive.

So how do i do that? Need help on that...

To tell you the truth man, if your using symantec products, your going to NEED a super computer. It takes so much cpu time and ram the computer becomes a dedicated anti-virus machine instead of a tool to use for other things.

Have you tried the new 2009 series ? I had the oportunity of testing the 2009 series at one of my freinds and i can tell you that's a HUGE diference when system resouces are concern. I hardly see any diference as speed from nis 2009 and other products , sometimes nis/nav 2009 being faster than many and with a low impact on a system, plus it's quite user freindly.

einstürzende

OT starts

It seems Symantec finally built very good Norton security and AV, can not say from first hand (not tried it yet) but if you go to wilderssecurity you will find many good reviews/comments there (mainly speed and resource lightness comments), also there is great result from last AV-comparatives, at Matousec it scored 71% and there is pulse (or something) update (very often ~5min. update) ...

If somebody tried their last (M3) endpoint protection, I would like to know is there improvements like in last Norton?

OT ends (and sorry for hijacking)

einstürzende
I see. For the symantec, I was going to uninstall it anyway and install it with other AV software. But right now, the problem I have is that how to make one of my AV to be active while the other to be passive.

So how do i do that? Need help on that...

find resident or real-time protection in settings, disable it (should work for any AV), some AVes (like Kaspersky) gives you possibility to chose not to install it at all (real-time protection by deselecting it at the beginning of installation procedure)...

Note: You should also look for: e-mail, web-shield, proactive defense, registry shield, critical file access, IM protection, HIPS etc. similar syntax (every company have different name for similar technology) and disable it, because those components are also working in real-time and can cause even greater mess than two or more resident AV component while working together...you should look only for on-demand/scan component, it is only thing you need from 2nd. and/or 3rd. etc. AV.

Also if you looking for complement to your existing protection, always install application which uses different technique or different API to establish common goal (in this case to protect "you"), it should be the "golden rule" unless you looking for trouble...

• 2 weeks later...

yes i can understand the logic behind you idea of having different antivirus installed, but you wil have to do it in such a way that only one antivirus is running at a time. this is how i do it and i think it is very logical. Install any antivirus u think is the best. i have installed kaspersky. now install norton security from google pack. now u have a very very good antivirus as a back up. now install malwarebyte's antimalware which is fast gaining a very good reputation. this way you will have three good antivirus at a same time on your machine without any conflict. hope that helps. peace

Please don't bash NAV 2009.

It is arguably the lightest AV of 2008, it has a HIPS feature, a very good detection rate and a very good support.

Of course it has FP's at warez, but the only AV I know that doesn't have is NOD32. And NOD has poor spyware detection.

Just try NAV 2009 out and you will be amazed.

If you want the best AV, then wait for G DATA AVK 2009.

'nuff said ;) .

GDATA is the best having 2 engines-KAV and Bitdefender.But it starts around 9 processes.Think a 'normal' PC can take that much?Nothing wrong in having 2 AVs.I had Bitdefender and KIS on my test PC with real time protection for both.Just a waste of resources.That's all.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want the best AV, then wait for G DATA AVK 2009.

'nuff said ^_^ .

GDATA is the best having 2 engines-KAV and Bitdefender.But it starts around 9 processes.Think a 'normal' PC can take that much?Nothing wrong in having 2 AVs.I had Bitdefender and KIS on my test PC with real time protection for both.Just a waste of resources.That's all.

Well, if you have the latest rig, then the end justified the means :) .

Otherwise, back to square-one :rolleyes: .

An option is ZA Internet Security and NOD32 + some antispyware like Spybot.

You have 2 AVs (ZoneAlarm and NOD32), a firewall.

Installing Symantec on your PC is like installing a pack or viruses or malware.

What did u mean? NIS 2009 is very good, installing take about 5min, and scan speed good, too. The most important thing is: it seem light w8 more than older version, not be a resources huge anymore. But I hate it cause it have manyprocess that can't manually stop as KIS, only turn on when I need, i don't like have something appear at systray annoy me.

About install multiple AV software, because them deeply intergrate with OS, don't try this, or u wish to see BSOD ;), becareful

About install multiple AV software, because them deeply intergrate with OS, don't try this, or u wish to see BSOD :smile:, becareful

OMG... This is like: If you install FIFA 09 and PES 09 you will see BSOD! You cant see BSOD if programs are incompatible between them. BSOD happen when something is incompatible with OS.

An option is ZA Internet Security and NOD32 + some antispyware like Spybot.

You have 2 AVs (ZoneAlarm and NOD32), a firewall.

I'm running on the same programs as you and never had any problems with my pc

You should give this set-up a try

Archived