WINDOWS 8 - Are you gonna install and use Windows 8 Final ?

psyko666

148 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna install and use Windows 8 Final ?

• Yep.. I'm in love with it! <3
    • Nope.. looks like shit.. :(
    • Maybe try it out and get laid later...
    • Wotz Windows 8 ?!
    • I'm gonna use Windows 7 and pass Windows 8
    • Nope.. I'm using Linux
    • Gonna use it as VM and check it out how it is...

• Replies 43
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

For sure, I have the consumer preview installed in one of my laptop and boy Win 8 runs like a flash! (not liking the metro tiles though, but can live with it.)

I have heard that it starts up at 6 sec in which machine win 7 takes 30 secs..

Nice options BTW!

I'll install it on the notebook, and on the pc, I'll keep calm and run ubuntu :D

I'll give it a try first in a Virtual Machine and then I guess I'll give it a spin in some computer too. Hopefully the RTM will be good, not a bad one, like Vista. Though the signs are there...

will use it only if i got the touch screen AIO pc

Technology

I installed and used Windows 8 in VMware, it was quite fast then windows 7..But didn't like the Metro style especially for laptop and also I missed windows button on task bar and the control panel was hard to handle keep moving mouse was frustrating enough..

I have heard that it starts up at 6 sec in which machine win 7 takes 30 secs..

My Win 7 is already at around 6 seconds. Not sure it can get any faster. :P

So, there is no option to switch from Metro to classic look in Windows 8?

Yes, you can switch. Win+D. :)

I personally have nothing against Metro as a concept, but since I've not tested it using a PC, I can't really say if it's useful, or even practical.

On a more serious note, I'm currently running on XP, because I've had unresolvable internet issues with 7, so unless Windows 8 solves that issue (and I'm really hoping it will), I'm permanently stuck. XD

However, I'm not planning on installing a VM, or testing it, or whatever, I'm going to wait the official release, and then some, just to be on the safe side. XD

Technology

On a more serious note, I'm currently running on XP, because I've had unresolvable internet issues with 7,

What particular internet issue to having on Windows 7? In any way I can like..

I'm using CP in my computer work and it's really fast. I don't like the metro stuff but I can deny the speed Windows 8 has.

On a more serious note, I'm currently running on XP, because I've had unresolvable internet issues with 7,

What particular internet issue to having on Windows 7? In any way I can like..

Well, win7 didn't register my modem at all. It's a fairly common Sisco 2100 Cable Modem, but i've found nothing on this issue on the internet at the time.

My provider's official Tech support's brilliant response was that they have no idea why it does that, and that the signal of the modem was allright (Which wasn't the problem at all, I knew the frickin' modem was functional!) and I'm under contract, so for the next two years I can't mess around the modem, or the connection, else breach of the contract which results in them cutting me off and me still having to pay it off for the duration of the legal obligation. -.-

So no touchie-touch. -.-

I even made a mate bring HIS PC with 7 round and plug it in, to no avail. And until the day i die, I will not install Vista (I checked this also, it works on Vista. -.-).

So it's pretty much all bets on Win 8. If it works, yey! If not, it's back to XP until my contract expires, and then I'll reinstall 7 or 8 (depending on which I liked better), and purposefully look for a working connection.

visualbuffs

i will use the final version

LeetPirate

If the final allows desktop users to use a non metro interface I will give it a try. I see some of you have already been testing it. What can you tell me about the desktop environment? Is there a way to switch from metro to something else?

Can you give us some idea about how do you be able to keep your start up so fast!

If the final allows desktop users to use a non metro interface I will give it a try. I see some of you have already been testing it. What can you tell me about the desktop environment? Is there a way to switch from metro to something else?

3rd party fix will come for that for sure..or may be windows latter with their updates provide some switching options.

I personally didn't like Metro style. It's UGLY :D I'd stick with Win7 that meets my daily work.

My Win 7 is already at around 6 seconds.

WOW its really fast. What do your hardware spec ? Mine about 10-13 secs.

Can you give us some idea about how do you be able to keep your start up so fast!

did you try Kingsoft PC Doctor ? I tried on my XP and machine run faster since then :)

did you try Kingsoft PC Doctor ? I tried on my XP and machine run faster since then :)

I use this utility too but, cold start takes around 30 sec and hot start takes around 20 sec..I have a dual core i3 CPU with 3 gigs of RAM in a vaio laptop

Even though there are performance improvements under the hood, Win8 and its conflicting UIs would likely confuse and slow me down.

Some would argue that the classic desktop still exists and the Start Screen has still all the functions of the Start Menu. The problem is that I can say the same argument on a car where its controls are scattered all over, yet all the functions are still intact vs a car with the common control setup. Does the change make it better, more user-friendly?

I'll probably skip this one out and get Win9 where MS would hopefully perfect its Metro design philosophy for the OS.

I use this utility too but, cold start takes around 30 sec and hot start takes around 20 sec..I have a dual core i3 CPU with 3 gigs of RAM in a vaio laptop

Do you have the SSD? My startup after using this tool is 34 secs, I have SSD and I have 111 processes running after boot is complete.

Cheers ;)

Well, win7 didn't register my modem at all. It's a fairly common Sisco 2100 Cable Modem, but i've found nothing on this issue on the internet at the time.

That would be network card drivers issues, not modem issues. :)

Win+D will switch to a more standard "desktop" view.

- i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz

- Mushkin SSD

- Diasbled many Windows Services including System Restore, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Windows Search/Indexing, Security Center, etc,...

- Set msconfig to only load AV & Firewall at boot

Edit: 32 processes running at boot (according to and including Task Manager), and 37 services in "running" state.

Archived