Best Free Antivirus

talakitok

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the Best Free Antivirus??.... :rofl:

No such thing as Free and still Best or Best and yet Free. Good things don't come cheap, cheap things don't come good.

What is the Best Free Antivirus??.... :rofl:

No such thing as Free and still Best or Best and yet Free. Good things don't come cheap, cheap things don't come good.

:eekout: ..ok am changing it now on which are some good free antivirus??...hehhee

some good av's are avg free ed and avast home ed, these two are the only one's i can think of atm

Not really, I believe he wanted to know the best AV among the FREE ones, which is a valid question. And in any case IMHO your entire comment is wrong, there ARE free programs that are on par with paid ones (if not even better).

Back to topic, I suggest you get one of these and save yourself a lot of trouble.

1) Avira AntiVir Personal Classic

Pros: It's detection rate is unparalleled, and it's somwhat lite on the resources.

Cons: the FREE version doesn't have any extra modules other than the AV itself.

2) Avast! Home Edition

Pros: It's a full-fledged AV with great features, such as built-in antispyware, e-mail scanning...and much more

Cons: It's detection rate isn't as high as Avira's, and default GUI is a bit weird (but you can change the skin).

My advice, stick with Avast! because it has the features of a paid AV...and then more.

I hope that helps.

What are some good Free Antivirus??.... :)

Folks that haunt these pages shouln't be concerned about 'Free' software - for us that never matters (as everything comes free)

BTW, taking a liking to an AntiVirus is a matter of personal choice & opinion - as a starting point you could tryout NOD32 or Kaspersky (don't pay for it, OK) :P

haha. Don't know how? but I have a working fix for about 650 days, balance about 600 days on another computer????Hope it last!

:) Absolutely, my friend - that's the spirit of nsane forum!!!!!

And that's what value we add here 24/7 - striving to help folks to develop from 'Noobs' to 'Advanced' to 'Techno-savvy' . . . . . . . . . . not suppress them from 'Noobs' to 'Retards,' instead - do we kotaxor?

Hope that Kaspersky fix lasts as promised.

haha. Don't know how? but I have a working fix for about 650 days, balance about 600 days on another computer????Hope it last!

:) Absolutely, my friend - that's the spirit of nsane forum!!!!!

And that's what value we add here 24/7 - striving to help folks to develop from 'Noobs' to 'Advanced' to 'Techno-savvy' . . . . . . . . . . not suppress them from 'Noobs' to 'Retards,' instead - do we kotaxor?

Hope that Kaspersky fix lasts as promised.

Yeah! That's why we are at "nsaneforums.com" nsane as in nsane fix for Nod32! remember??

for those 2 av's fixes are many, dunno about you guys, but i much prefer nodlogin over any patch....and for kasp we have the key finder, so there won't be any more problems with black-listed key's

now I know this seems a pain, and the use for a patch becomes necessary. I mean who would want to manually type in the user name and serial almost, if not every day.

Nod and Kasp are the best av's around, don't let tests discourage you, they are only meant for one purpose, to advertise other av's. How can you tell? Simple actually; everybody has heard of nod and kaspersky over the past years, and now some supposedly new av comes along and beats em all? Clearly that's likely to happen, but that's just my opinion.

for those 2 av's fixes are many, dunno about you guys, but i much prefer nodlogin over any patch....and for kasp we have the key finder, so there won't be any more problems with black-listed key's

That's how I got keys for Kaspersky AV 2009. Using Kaspersky key finder v1.2.4

Certain freeware software can works the same or better that others payment software.

Speaking to AV's can be a little different, but still remains good freeware AV's for everybody.

In my opinion the bests are:

* AVIRA ANTIVIR PERSONAL (FREE)

* AVAST FREE EDITION

* AVG FREE

* RISING AV FREE EDITION

* MOON SECURE ANTIVIRUS

* BIT-DEFENDER FREE (only for on-demand scans)

Sometimes, "cracked" software is crapped for some features or updates, and in this case, I'm thinking is better some freewares.

Plus the user risks downloading a trojan beside the "crack". No security software can detect "all the bads".

In my opinion, there is a DIFFERENCES between 'Free' and opensource software.

In opensource, the codes is available for anybody to view and amend, as such it is both reliable, secure and good.(that I agreed)

In 'Free' , the codes is not available at all, it is a gimmick to entice ppl to purchase the full or pro version.(that I disagreed)

If I am the vendor, I will ensure something is 'missing or lacking' in the 'Free' version to entice ppl to purchase the full version.

But in opensource software, it is the full version. There is no other version for purchase.

I love opensource software, such as OpenOffice, GIMP, Firefox, etc (go to www.opensourcewindows.org)

But I hate(no offence intended, just my opinion) Free software, such as AVG, Avast, etc. :dance2:

What is the Best Free Antivirus??.... :dance2:

Then Comodo's software is the exception that proves the rule. Because it is completely free software and is among the best (speaking of Comodo firewall pro, which is the only non-test version released from them yet).

I can't wait to see one of the future versions of Comodo's antivirus (CAVS: Comodo Anti Virus/Spyware). They are actually releasing v. 3 soon. I expect it to be a good quality, but I think it needs some time to become among the best (yes I believe it has the potential to become among the best, especially if you look at the quality of their firewall)

Then Comodo's software is the exception that proves the rule. Because it is completely free software and is among the best (speaking of Comodo firewall pro, which is the only non-test version released from them yet).

I can't wait to see one of the future versions of Comodo's antivirus (CAVS: Comodo Anti Virus/Spyware). They are actually releasing v. 3 soon. I expect it to be a good quality, but I think it needs some time to become among the best (yes I believe it has the potential to become among the best, especially if you look at the quality of their firewall)

AGREED!!! ;) :)

AGREED!!! ;) ;)

Comodo is comparable will paid firewall such as Outpost. That, I agreed.

But the usefulness of firewall depend a lot on the user.

We infect our own computer with virus due maybe to ignorance. The 'Best' AV or Firewall will not be able to save you.

Remove the keyboard and mouse, you will NEVER be infected at all. hehehehe :)

Oh yes, remove those with touch screen too.

If one is that paranoid... then don't surf the web and do not connect any external media to your computer...

Best yet build your own OS... :)

I have never been infected with a virus, but I still use an anti virus I would not compromise the security of my personal stuff on my computer, even though it seems as it is waste of system resources.

The first line of defense is common sense :)

After that you have all the security apps (with the configuration you choose, that again is common sense. Actually your brain is the only protection you have ;))

In my opinion, there is a DIFFERENCES between 'Free' and opensource software.

In opensource, the codes is available for anybody to view and amend, as such it is both reliable, secure and good.(that I agreed)

In 'Free' , the codes is not available at all, it is a gimmick to entice ppl to purchase the full or pro version.(that I disagreed)

If I am the vendor, I will ensure something is 'missing or lacking' in the 'Free' version to entice ppl to purchase the full version.

But in opensource software, it is the full version. There is no other version for purchase.

I love opensource software, such as OpenOffice, GIMP, Firefox, etc (go to www.opensourcewindows.org)

But I hate(no offence intended, just my opinion) Free software, such as AVG, Avast, etc. :)

Good! Then you choose can be MOON SECURE ANTIVIRUS with its OPENGL license :D

Good! Then you choose can be MOON SECURE ANTIVIRUS with its OPENGL license :)

Yeah, willing to try it out, but v2 still in Beta. Waiting for the Stable version.

Clamwin (Freeware) is good....Even if it is open source.

Yeah, but I'm thinking hasn't real-time protection, only on-demand scanner, but I'm not sure if at this time has changed. Moon Secure uses the ClamWin scanner and definitions, plus heuristics and has real-time protection. :secret:

guys i have tried many freeware AVs(avast avg anitvir comodo)..the best freeware is by far avast...it has good detection rates,great features and a very nice support(their forum is awesome)...

i bought no32 though(i bored of installing and unistalling cracks and patches) and in my opinion its the best out there...

guys i have tried many freeware AVs(avast avg anitvir comodo)..the best freeware is by far avast...it has good detection rates,great features and a very nice support(their forum is awesome)...

i bought no32 though(i bored of installing and unistalling cracks and patches) and in my opinion its the best out there...

agreed with you on that, avast uses less resources as compare to the rest of AV free edition. With regards to detection, there's seem to be a lot of false positive, but overall its OK.

Archived