Anonymous threaten to close Internet on March 31 2012

Kevin Senjaya

Kevin Senjaya

World media is full of publications about the threats by Anonymous hackers’ group, who promises to close the Internet on March 31.

The group posted a statement on Pastebin earlier this week, which says that the group plans to attack 13 DNS servers that ensure URLs such as google.co.uk are translated into the IP addresses that host these websites.

"To protest SOPA, Wallstreet, our irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun, On March 31, anonymous will shut the internet down," the group said in the statement.

Anonymous believes if it can successfully take those root servers down for long enough, "DNS as we currently use it would cease to function, and the web would become at least temporarily inaccessible for most of its users".

As pcadvisor.co.uk writes referring to the statement nobody will be able to perform a domain name lookup, thus, disabling the HTTP internet, which is, after all, the most widely used function of the web. Anybody entering http://www.google.com or any other URL, will get an error page, thus, they will think the internet is down, which is, close enough," the group added.

"Remember, this is a protest, we are not trying to 'kill' the internet, we are only temporarily shutting it down where it hurts the most."

Anonymous did not detail how long it intended the blackout to last, instead simply saying "It may only lasts one hour, maybe more, maybe even a few days. No matter what, it will be global. It will be known".

800px-Anonymous_at_Scientology_in_Los_Angeles.jpg

Source: http://times.am/?l=en&p=4916

• Replies 10
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

We had something like this in mid feb, but I guess it's an update as there was no mention of any date on that article. :)

I still feel it's fake. But lets see.

We had something like this in mid feb, but I guess it's an update as there was no mention of any date on that article. :)

I still feel it's fake. But lets see.

its probably fake not to mention darn near impossable to pull off your best bet is to take out the root dns servers and try to keep them offline however they have such redundancy and junk on them it be crazy

counting all the backups servers theirs over 100 youed need to take them all out at once and keep them all out for long enough for all the other consumer dns entrys to expire

Would they really be able to produce such amount of request traffic to deny service of master servers?

I doubt it, because these servers have a whole internet to cope with everyday, but hey, we'll have to wait for it to find out.

Unless they have something else except DDoS in mind this time... nah they don't...

whooaa.. a little OOT here, @babelpatcher and @Kevin are Indonesian? Never thought there're many mates here in this forum.. :)

Sounds like the idiotic poorly thought out childish nonsense that those Anonymous wankers would dream up...

Obviously a fake by the goverment that want you to be blinded from the truth.

Archived