Knightmare

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?

• NoScript
    • Ghostery
    • Neither
    • Both
    • Other (explain)

Too many sites still will not function with Noscript in the "Temporarily Allow All This Site" mode. I actually have to go into the addons and disable it, restart firefox, then enable it again followed with another restart! This fact is well known by the author even the global "Allow All" mode has the same result. If I decide to allow all scripts then why will it still block a websites scripts? Avast 7 has a script shield for all browsers built in, Ghostery blocks tracking, AdMuncher cleans everything else.

Can you provide a link to any single case where a User has been unable to succeed with either of the 2 following options:-
  • Temporarily allow all on this page
  • Globally allow all
Please note, your provided link needs to be conclusive (meaning the Author expressing regret or defeat or helplessness since you mention that the above 2 option are quite well known by the Author.)

The reason for asking is not to cast aspirations on your claim but on the contrary the fact is that I'm a NoScript (and numerous other add-ons') beta-tester and don't seem to have ever come across even a single case of a conclusive NoScript failure of the nature that mention where a Firefox restart was required. Hence I'm asking for just 1 link, nothing more.

• Replies 42
  • Views 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a pretty pointless poll since theyre addons that do completely different things. It's like having a poll for Winamp vs Adobe Reader.

Noscript allows control over web site scripting of all kinds. Since Noscript doesn't block cookies used alone it will allow a lot of tracking to still occur.

Ghostery blocks tracking companies. Ghostery will not block scripting (unless possibly it is being used to track you from a known ad provider).

If you're wondering I use both. The main reasons to use NoScript are to increase browsing speed and decrease resource usage (scripts are not being run unless you explicitly allow them) and (the reason most people use it) to prevent so called driveby downloads where a scripting exploit in your browser can cause various malicious actions to happen without the users consent or knowledge up to and including downloading and execution of malware with administrator priviledges.

Since driveby downloads are usually placed on legitimate sites you have no way of knowing whether the site is safe.

I think this is a pretty pointless poll since theyre addons that do completely different things. It's like having a poll for Winamp vs Adobe Reader.

Noscript allows control over web site scripting of all kinds. Since Noscript doesn't block cookies used alone it will allow a lot of tracking to still occur.

Ghostery blocks tracking companies. Ghostery will not block scripting (unless possibly it is being used to track you from a known ad provider).

If you're wondering I use both. The main reasons to use NoScript are to increase browsing speed and decrease resource usage (scripts are not being run unless you explicitly allow them) and (the reason most people use it) to prevent so called driveby downloads where a scripting exploit in your browser can cause various malicious actions to happen without the users consent or knowledge up to and including downloading and execution of malware with administrator priviledges.

Since driveby downloads are usually placed on legitimate sites you have no way of knowing whether the site is safe.

So for maximum security, I should use NoScript with DNT+ and Adblock?

Too many sites still will not function with Noscript in the "Temporarily Allow All This Site" mode. I actually have to go into the addons and disable it, restart firefox, then enable it again followed with another restart! This fact is well known by the author even the global "Allow All" mode has the same result. If I decide to allow all scripts then why will it still block a websites scripts? Avast 7 has a script shield for all browsers built in, Ghostery blocks tracking, AdMuncher cleans everything else.

Can you provide a link to any single case where a User has been unable to succeed with either of the 2 following options:-
  • Globally allow all
Please note, your provided link needs to be conclusive (meaning the Author expressing regret or defeat or helplessness since you mention that the above 2 option are quite well known by the Author.)

The reason for asking is not to cast aspirations on your claim but on the contrary the fact is that I'm a NoScript (and numerous other add-ons') beta-tester and don't seem to have ever come across even a single case of a conclusive NoScript failure of the nature that mention where a Firefox restart was required. Hence I'm asking for just 1 link, nothing more.

The site that caused me an issue is financial and none of your business. If you are a part of a group that tests other peoples claims to your own self reward I suggest you not ask a stupid question untill you ask the largest group out there, GOOGLE. If you truly are involved with NoScript development then the sites that are reported broken are there for you to freely look over.

To disable an addon in Firefox you are required to "restart" the browser. Maybe you should beta test firefox first to gain an understanding of how addons are installed and disabled and why firefox requires a "restart".

• Globally allow all

The site that caused me an issue is financial and none of your business. If you are a part of a group that tests other peoples claims to your own self reward I suggest you not ask a stupid question untill you ask the largest group out there, GOOGLE. If you truly are involved with NoScript development then the sites that are reported broken are there for you to freely look over.

To disable an addon in Firefox you are required to "restart" the browser. Maybe you should beta test firefox first to gain an understanding of how addons are installed and disabled and why firefox requires a "restart".

I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve. Thank you, but I think the answer is crystal clear for everyone to see. ;)

Wow! And I thought I had a short fuse. I really hope you're some 12 year old kid who doesn't know what he's talking 'bout on a grown man's forum, in which case, your hormonal hyperdrive is prolly understandable, but if you're any older than 16/17, you seriously need to take anger management classes, not to mention learn about forum etiquette.

@Rocket man - Classy, man :)

@ Knightmare - Uncanny - that's exactly what I have (ABP/DNT+/NoScript/BetterPrivacy) along with Ad Muncher mostly because ABP doesn't work entirely with certain sites that AM works effortlessly with.

In any case, I use Tor when I really want to be anonymous and mostly don't visit sites that I'll feel uncomfortable running active content on.

This is what I use with Firefox:

1) Adban

2) DoNotTrack+

3) Ghostery

4) GoogleSharing

In view of the recent change in Google's privacy policy, imho, GoogleSharing add-on is essential.

This is what I use with Firefox:

1) Adban

2) DoNotTrack+

3) Ghostery

4) GoogleSharing

In view of the recent change in Google's privacy policy, imho, GoogleSharing add-on is essential.

yay, ghostery!!

recent changes in googles privacy policy?! what policy is that. to track every single thing you've ever done? :wtf:

i block ANYTHING & EVERYTHING goole has to offer!!

i had been using adb and ghostery together for a good while, but feel that ghostery does the job i need. not really into addons and like to keep those slimmed down.

flash block and ghostery are my personal "must have's" and i use flagfox just for the heck of it. that's my complete list.

oh! and a good host file also!! :)

Now Ghostery for Chrome is blocking things like it is in Firefox - full. :) Next step should be blocking tracking cookie in Chrome.

Now Ghostery for Chrome is blocking things like it is in Firefox - full. :) Next step should be blocking tracking cookie in Chrome.

Try Do Not Track Plus

grouchysmurf

ADB

NoScript

Ghostery

AnonymoX

...and Collusion just to keep an eye on things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived