Knightmare

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?

• NoScript
    • Ghostery
    • Neither
    • Both
    • Other (explain)

I recently uninstalled NoScript to install Ghostery because I feel like it's smarter than NoScript in that it knows what to block rather than blocking everything. I did like being in control of everything but sometimes I didn't know what to unblock with NoScript. Ghostery eliminates the unblocking decision. I searched some reviews for Ghostery and one of them said that Ghostery was very buggy. This review was from 2008 so I'm sure that the problems have been fixed. So since I couldn't find a good review, I figured I would post a thread.

• Replies 42
  • Views 29.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like comparing an orange with a lemon. Now, for the sake of those who will insist that oranges & lemons are quite similar, here goes:-

It's NoScript all the way for the sheer granularity and manual over-ride options.

I tried No Script, and I had pretty bad experience with it. Ghostery all the way!

I tried No Script, and I had pretty bad experience with it. Ghostery all the way!

What experience would that be? I didn't have trouble when I used it, I just think that Ghostery is more convenient.

What experience would that be? I didn't have trouble when I used it, I just think that Ghostery is more convenient.

I just had a hard time using it, and beside Ghostery is much easier and better in terms of efficacy.

Advanced users would prefer NoScript over Ghostery for the reason I mentioned in my first post. Have got both on my system as they're quite different in their implementation & objectives (hence the lemon & orange comment.) ;)

There're some areas where both overlap, though.

NoScipt is kind of a brute force attack on a web page .

it will block and stop any thing and everything that runs on a page .

so , kind of breaks the actual intended functionality of the web page .

but the good thing about it , you can train it . !

White list your favorite sites and stop NoScript from executing on them .

its a bit of a work the first time NoScript is made to run , but then its a little work .

Required only when you visit new pages .

how ever i have seen some times , even after white listing some sites , NoScript still breaks the sites functionality .

esp on banking sites and sites with HTTPS protocol . Sites which change their page scripts and looks and other embedded content for security reasons and then NoScript fails to identify the White Listing .

Ghostery on the other hand is not a script blocker , but just a tracker blocker .

it will block any kind of tracking plug ins or scripts on a web page and nothing more .

a functionality that comes inbuilt with NoScript .

and it too can be Trained .

so to actually put both together would not be prudent .

both have different purposes .

This comparison would've been more interesting against Adblock Plus (instead of NoScript.) Ghostery & Adblock Plus have a more similar objective & implementation and would've been a more valid apple-to-apple comparison.

Adblock Plus has got most of the Ghostery blacklists in it's subscriptions and more. It also has a wider functionality with superb granularity and jells better with Noscript than with Ghostery (where the overlaps are much more for comfort & speed.)

i am using adb list with contain same list or similar to ghostery (fanboy unlimited), so less "software on the line" while surfing the net for me :D

Noscrip for me , didn't try Ghostery,, i feel conformable with the first one, yeah it kind of blocking everything on a page, but i like it that way.for trusted sites just add some rule to the addon and it will be just fine.

Ghostery doesnt do anything apart from being a village gossip! if you want to go all the way... add request policy to noscript

nb. basically noscript puts you in full control of java scripts on pages add with flashblock and adblock for a reasonable cup of tea

This comparison would've been more interesting against Adblock Plus (instead of NoScript.) Ghostery & Adblock Plus have a more similar objective & implementation and would've been a more valid apple-to-apple comparison.

Adblock Plus has got most of the Ghostery blacklists in it's subscriptions and more. It also has a wider functionality with superb granularity and jells better with Noscript than with Ghostery (where the overlaps are much more for comfort & speed.)

In every review that I read, it said that NoScript and Ghostery do the same thing.

Yeah right. That's the reason I never attach too much importance to reviews, benchmarks, etc., etc. They never represent the pirate-point-of-view and are proactive, by nature resulting in a view that's superimposed on readers. On the other hand, a thread like the one you've started here is more in line with what a pirate can expect from a practical aspect and results in an interactive sharing of experiences as against a declaration of one author's view.

I also go for Ghostery, I'm very comfortable with it; AdBlock Plus is also good but it depends on what subscriptions you use, if you use only Fanboy's List or Easylist, you may need Ghostery, but if you use subscriptions like one of the two options below, there Ghostery will be optional but still recommended (because of Cookie blocking feature),

1. EasyList + Easy Privacy (Combo :D List, 1 list)

2. Fanboy's List + Fanboy's International Tracking Blocking List (2 lists)

or any of the Adversity's lists.

I myself use Fanboy's List + Ghostery, I think it is enough for me, especially the performance will drop at it's minimum. ;)

I didn't think ABP was a replacement for Ghostery because I thought Adblock only blocked the ad from being seen.

I voted other...My question is this. If you browse the web and use Sandboxie or similar along with a good firewall/w execution control, is an addon like noscript or ghostery even needed? I would love to hear what you think cuz I honestly dont know....thanks

If you want to remain that anonymous and block the unwanted stuff... just use ad block plus and Privacy Suite from Albine.

taco and DNT are the best.

If you want to remain that anonymous and block the unwanted stuff... just use ad block plus and Privacy Suite from Albine.

taco and DNT are the best.

I like Beef Taco.

Too many sites still will not function with Noscript in the "Temporarily Allow All This Site" mode. I actually have to go into the addons and disable it, restart firefox, then enable it again followed with another restart! This fact is well known by the author even the global "Allow All" mode has the same result. If I decide to allow all scripts then why will it still block a websites scripts? Avast 7 has a script shield for all browsers built in, Ghostery blocks tracking, AdMuncher cleans everything else. I want to believe in NoScript, the Author has to work on his off switch. If he can't get this one feature right, even after countless user complaints, what other features are working improperly that we trust & believe in?

Archived