Antivirus test requests

darko999

1607bc39.png

Av: Avast Internet Security 6

Performance: 8/10 No impact on system is felt "Light" low ram usage.

Installation: 8/10 Fast Installation but restart was needed

Scope of detection [web filter]: 0/15 from 15 links done

Scope of detection [Overall]: 6/10 10 of 15 files

Feature set: 9/10 Has almost every setting you may need, simple interface, easy exclusion system, advanced settings for each module

Update system: 9/10 Very fast and responsive updates

Scan speed: 9/10 average "41 MB/s" peak "84 MB/s"

Full Scan after test score: 5/10

My final score: 7/10 Recommended suite for an acceptable price.

There is no need to watch the video since the final scores are here but I post it anyway

465c889f.jpg

Test notes: We didn't disable "Select action automatically" it would give us a higher protection level, but we are testing for common usage, and as well as in avast test, we have set heuristics setting too high.

Av: Kaspersky Internet Security 12.0.0.374

Performance: 8/10 Good performance, medium ram usage.

Installation: 9/10 Very fast, less than 3 minutes but restart was recommended and Malwarebytes Anti Malware was unistalled during installation process.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 5/16 links done

Scope of detection [Overall] 8/10 [5 "Web filter" + 6 "Engine" 11/16]

Feature set: 10/10 Almost everything is customizable, skins, wav files for the "Detection sound", advanced settings, easy application restriction, cloud system, clean UI very good interface, useful gadget, etc.

Update System: 7/10 A 25 min update after Installation is a little bit annoying but updates after that one are fast & smart.

Scan Speed: Good, Average 29 MB/s Peak 42 MB/s

Full scan after test score:
9/10

My final score: 9/10
A very solid Security Suite, with powerful features that makes it very strong, powerful heuristics combined to a well updated cloud system, well built firewall, smart updates every 15-25 min, good performance, good detection rates, fully customizable. Very recommended.

Full scan after test

178452ab.png

15796f3c.png

Test notes: - We only touched Heuristics Scanning Level to Medium from "low which is default" as well as Manual scan, everything else was left as default.

- Yes, we deleted all files ran into sandbox and unknown files observed by Comodo before final scans.

Av: Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012 5.9.221665.2197

Performance: 9/10 Nice performance, low ram usage "About 12MB" Smooth desktop performance, no slowdown is felt.

Installation: 8/10 Fast installation with no restart required.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 0/16

Scope of detection [Overall]: 8/10 11/16 plus 3 files that were automatically ran into sandbox, we didn't count these 3 files in score since they weren't recognized as malware either by web filter or engine.

Feature set: 6.5/10 A simple interface similar to Windows Control Panel style with advanced settings for everything, Sandbox Technology incorporated. In the other hand it doesn't offer hints for advanced settings and there is no reset to default button so you have to back up your default settings before changing them, also some settings are not as clear as they should and you need to access to their web to understand more about them, also there is no progress bar shown on manual scans.

Update System: 7/10 First update is huge, not as huge as Kaspersky ones, it took about 10 minutes to finish but a restart was required, day to day updates are fast and small about every 45-60 minutes.

Scan Speed: 21 MB/s peak 37 MB/s We had to disable "Do not scan files larger than 40MB default setting" to test scan speed.

Full scan after test score: 9/10

My final score: 7.5/10 A great security suite, very light and responsive, built-in SandBox system, very strong against very new malware "Proactive Detection" first class firewall with behavior analysis and the best "Real time 24h support chat" that makes it very strong for people who likes awesome support but what have affected on our final score is the needed to manually delete infected files running under "Unknown files observed by Comodo" feature, which makes security a bit user dependent and its web filter is a little bit weak.

3e26b329.png

By the way in the picture Malwarebytes scan says 0 malware detected.

68a3ea73.gif

Test notes: - We have enabled "Advanced Heuristics", "Detection of possible unwanted applications" and "Detection of possible unsafe applications" everything else left as default

- Since everything else was left as default, performance score is affected by the feature "Scan on system startup" and "Advanced Heuristics"

Av: Eset Smart Security 5.0.95.0

Performance: 8/10 Very good performance, Ram usage = average 32MB max 72MB [Ekrn.exe + Egui.exe]

Performance with default Heuristic and disabled "Scan during system startup": 10/10

Installation: 10/10 One of the best I have seen so far, fast, useful settings over installation process, less than 3 minutes, no restart required, ESET started working immediately after installation.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 7/15

Scope of detection [Overall]: 8.5/10 [Web filter + engine] 13/15

Feature set: 8/10: Improved interface from ESET v4, easy to understand settings, HIPS available, Eset live grid "Early Warning System", running process information and popularity feature, game mode "No pop-ups", interface starts as fast as possible.

Update System: 7/10 First update 18.900KB, and only took a few minutes to be completely downloaded with no restart required, day to day updates are not very often "Every 3-5 hours" Since ESET its based on its heuristics.

Scan Speed: Very fast, 41MB/s peak 54MB/s

Full scan after test score: 8/10

My final score: 8.5/10 A very recommended Av. Amazing detection rate and a good web filter, light as hell, solid heuristic system, clear and easy to understand settings and interface, fast to install, the only thing that many people may not love is that ESET is 80%+ based on its heuristic, there is no real time updates like Kaspersky or NIS but if you trust on Heuristic system, then you would love ESET.

6176e3f4.png

68040dba.png

Av: Vipre Internet Security 2012

Performance: 8.5/10 Very good performance, Ram usage = lowest 11MB max 25MB [sBANsvc.exe + SBANtray.exe]

Installation: 7/10 Not as expected, a 10mb install that download files for more than 10 min, no settings during installation process, a 70MB update is also downloaded while installing, restart required.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 6/14

Scope of detection [Overall]: 8.5/10 [Web filter + Engine] 12/14

Feature set: 5/10: One of the most simple interfaces I have seen so far, but there is only advanced settings for mail protection... there is no custom settings for heuristic/firewall, no behavior shield tab or settings, just basic settings.

Update System: 8.5/10 Updates are small and very often every 1 hour, and whats great, is the support for manual updating, which is very easy.

Scan Speed: Not tested.

Full scan after test score: 7.5/10

My final score: 7.5/10 A great Antivirus product with good performance and detection rates, easy interface, free tech support service, good web filter and virus database but not the best av when talking about feature set, no advanced settings, behavior shield a little bit weak, no progress bar on scans, a smart choise for non advanced users.

c7035909.png

0b9ead86.png

Av: Macfee Total Protection 2012

Performance: 7/10 Average performance, little impact on system performance, medium ram usage 10MB-72MB [McSvHost.exe + mfevtps.exe + mfefire.exe + McPvTray.exe]

Installation: 5/10 Slow install, a friendly 4 MB install file that download more than 192MB during installation process for 5 minutes and 5 more minutes for installing, no custom settings during installation, you have to remove Malwarebytes Antimalware and restart your computer or you may get a blue screen when installing.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 5/17

Scope of detection [Overall]: 6/10 [Web filter + Engine] 11/17

Feature set: 5/10: The interface is a classic one, not as simple as today antivirus's interfaces, it has some advanced settings for firewall, but there is no real customization for real time protection, no heuristic or detection settings, only files which have to be scanned, etc.

Update System: 7/10 Smart updates every 1-2 hours

Scan Speed: Not tested.

Full scan after test score: 1/10

My final score: 4/10 Scope of detection [Overall] wasn't that bad a 11/17 isn't really a fatal score, but the full scan after score was the worst so far in our tests, for a common use of your computer I may recommend Macfee but if you download files often, music, games, cracks, patches, etc, I WON'T RECOMMEND MACFEE, it has a very poor behavior shield "If it exists..." no protection for critical registry keys, it seems like it only blocks well-known malware.

ec18511b.png

8c42d123.gif

Test Notes: Settings left as default since max security level is default for "Real time monitoring"

We didn't count the flash player and java installer as threat since they were clean plus one dead link = 17 total malware links.

Av: Gdata Total Care 2012

Performance: 6/10 Good perofrmance for a dual engine based antivirus "Bitdefender and Avast engines", But a high RAM usage which is normal when using two av engines at the same time and boot time peformance was noticiable affected.

Installation: 6/10 A non friendly 390 MB file size, after installing there are two huge updates for both engines and a third program update also restart was required.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 11/17 Best web filter so far!

Scope of detection [Overall]: 8/10 12/17

Feature set: 8/10: Clear and fast interface, advanced settings for firewall and real time protection, white list updates very often, easy add to white list system, system performance tune up, system security tune up, scan for malware when system is idle, behavior shield, two av engines.

Update System: 8/10 Smart updates every 1 hour for both engines.

Scan Speed: 29.8 MB/s

My final score: 8.5/10 It may take a while to install, but worth it by getting a very powerful security suite, solid web filter, two different well known av engines working together makes it a very recommended av suite with high detection rates.

829b7715.png

627d535f.png

Test Notes: Every setting left as default.

Av: Emsisoft Interne Security "Emsisoft Anti Malware plus Online Armor [Firewall]"

Performance: 9/10 Very good performance, windows boot time as usual, no impact on system mis felt, low ram usage

Installation: 8/10 A non monster 132MB file size with fast two installation, one is Emsisoft Anti Malware and the another is Online armor which is installed right after Anti Malware, less than 3 minutes for both, restart required for online armor, useful settings during installation process.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 1/17

Scope of detection [Overall]: 10/10 [17/17 16 plus 1 web filter] Best detection rate so far.

Feature set: 8/10: A well-built interface, many options for everything, one of the best behavior shield "Mamutu", a cloud based system to help user when taking actions on malware detection, Host intrusion prevention, Keylogger detection, detection of false positive files in quarantine with every update, powerful heuristic.

Update System: 9/10 Smart and fast updates every 30-50 min

Scan Speed: Not tested

My final score: 9/10 A powerful and recommended av suite, light, full of features, one of the best detection rates so far, one of the best behavior shield modules out there, solid firewall with cloud system, the only thing wasn't the best is that as well as in Comodo Emsisoft is a bit user dependent, under default settings there are many pops ups and the false positves are kind of high but thats why quarantine items are checked with every update to find false positives.

f8294cd5.png

5ac51020.jpg

Test Notes:

- Heuristic set to High

- Threat categories chosen = all selected but games and unusual runtime compression.

Av: Avira Internet Security 2012

Performance: 8/10 Very good performance, windows boot time as usual, no impact on system mis felt, medium ram usage.

Installation: 9/10 A not huge 79.4MB file size, less than 2 minutes to install but restart required, very fast installation with some useful settings.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 8/18

Scope of detection [Overall]: 7/10 [ 13/18 [8 Web filter + 5 Engine] ]

Feature set: 7/10: Friendly and improved interface from Avira v10, advanced settings for each module, automatic and manual backup, solid heuristics, but there is no cloud system or file popularity info, interface hasn't change that much since v10, firewall pops-up for well-known secure application on default settings a bit annoying.

Update System: 9/10 A 34MB update is downloaded after installation with a slow speed of 140 kbps of my 15MB connection [2MB/s download speed] for 4 minutes, kind of slow but happy to know that updates after that are often "15-45min" and they take just seconds to be downloaded, which is great.

Scan Speed: 34MB/s

Full scan after test score: 6/10

My final score: 7.5/10 A good antivirus well-known all over the world, a good detection rage, light on system resources, very often updates, backup system, good overall protection, in the other hand I was waiting for some radical changes since v10, it seems like Avira doesn't like adding new radical features, interface could be way better, cloud system still waiting, poor behavior shield.

61126ccc.png

14721270.jpg

Av: Norton Internet Security 2012

Performance: 8.5/10 Very light, boot time not affected, ram usage = average [CCSVCHST.EXE X2 = 70.000kKB+]

Installation: 9/10 A kind of big 104MB file size, less than 2 minutes to install but restart required after updating. Very fast installation.

Scope of detection [web filter]: 0/18

Scope of detection [Overall]: 10/10 [ 18/18 "15 plus 3 files detected as safe by Norton". ]

Feature set: 10/10 A simple and useful interface with instant access to major features like scan now, update, and settings. Norton Insight feature with application ratings is very useful and powerful, back up system is supported, there is a startup manager and advanced settings for each module, rules for firewall are updated automatically, easy exclusion panel, performance watcher which alert us from high usage of cpu, etc. Norton also has its own behavior shield called sonar plus heuristic, cloud system.

Update System: 10/10 A 86,57MB update is downloaded after installation with a very fast speed of 1.8MB/s from my [2MB/s download speed] updates after that are very often "5-10 min".

Scan Speed: 31MB/s

Full scan after test score: 10/10

My final score: 10/10 One of the most solid secuirity suite over here and the first one in scoring a perfect 10 in detection rate and full scan after test, it has almost everything you need to protect your computer, low user dependent protection, low on system resources, back up system, behavior shield, cloud system, heuristic, advanced settings for everything, real time updates. Our only little critic is that Norton has put a lot of its security based on "Norton Insight" which is a reputaton-cloud system to recognize uknown malware when downloading files. Anyway Norton still havbing heuristic and behavior shield so it may not be a critical issue from this point of view. There are also people who complain about false positive from Norton Insight, we tested 20 well known safe applications with no false positive, if they exists they are a few ones.

4e046a55.png

Tests in queue:

- Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 = done

- Comodo Internet Security = done

- Eset Smart Security 5 = done

- Vipre Antivirus Premium = done

- Mcafee Total protection = done

- Gdata 2012 Total Protection = done

- Emsisoft = done

- Avira Internet Security 2012 = done

- Norton Internet Security 2012 = done

- AVG Internet Security 2012

- Quick Heal

- Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2012

- MBAM

- Bitdefender 2012

Latest samples used: http://www.mediafire...dj2o2w626og0o5r

After finish all test, we are going to choose the 3 top Av ;) so after all these test you will have to vote! and for that 3 Avs I'll make a FULL FULL review for them, because a test isn't enough :D

PD: I had to remove some pictures, I guess I reached the max allowed.

• Replies 45
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Test Kaspersky!

Test incoming

test comodo internet security suite..

Right after Kaspersky I'll do it !

Waiting for your tests.

Just a little bit!

• Administrator

Is there a way to change the title of this post thread? Thank you in advance!

Edit -> Use Full Editor. ;)

Is there a way to change the title of this post thread? Thank you in advance!

Edit -> Use Full Editor. ;)

You are the man! thank you :3!

Test Kaspersky!

Nice, I will do it in a few hours, you can request any av you want!

Thank you very much! Great and informative test.

I'm pretty sure McAfee will get a low, if not the lowest rating of all in your tests.

NIS 2012 added to queue and some grammar correction applied.

As I expected, McAfee got a poor rating. Either ways, would it be possible for me to get your malware samples, I'd like to test them. For me, McAfee has never failed to deliver, it's caught most of the malwares (posted by morteza) than any other vendor, and I've tested McAfee in other ways and it performed the best. So I'd like to test your samples, if it is possible.

Thank you.

As I expected, McAfee got a poor rating. Either ways, would it be possible for me to get your malware samples, I'd like to test them. For me, McAfee has never failed to deliver, it's caught most of the malwares (posted by morteza) than any other vendor, and I've tested McAfee in other ways and it performed the best. So I'd like to test your samples, if it is possible.

Thank you.

Yes, I can submit you the same samples used to Macfee which may be now detected by Macfee since updates help in that way or I can submit you the next 20 samples that are going to use in the next test.

Thank you.

Yes, I can submit you the same samples used to Macfee which may be now detected by Macfee since updates help in that way or I can submit you the next 20 samples that are going to use in the next test.

I'd appreciate if you'd send me both :) Thank you :)

Thank you.

Thank you.

Yeah.Even I took it for a spin with malware black list and malc0de and it caught each and every one.It even rivalled Norton once in my testing

Archived