AV Comparatives Performance Test anti-virus december 2011

maia

• Replies 28
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally a test that shows what all of us already know ... ESET is the lightest :)

I would like to see it also as good to remove malware (for the moment Kaspersky is better)

Finally a test that shows what all of us already know ... ESET is the lightest :)

I would like to see it also as good to remove malware (for the moment Kaspersky is better)

I think eset is not that bad at removing the bad guys from a PC...the lightness of Eset for everyday use + Malwarebyte once in a while or in case of infection (wich never happened here for years) and you're good to go.

Kaspersky is good also of course , but it really slows the pc down a bit.

I agree with what they mention...if your AV is noticeably slowing down your system then it's probably time to upgrade or maybe switch to an SSD for your system drive. ;)

I think eset is not that bad at removing the bad guys from a PC...the lightness of Eset for everyday use + Malwarebyte once in a while or in case of infection (wich never happened here for years) and you're good to go.

ESET is really good, but the only bad thing is that it's firewall isn't at the same standard's as Kaspersky and Symantec.

ESET is really good, but the only bad thing is that it's firewall isn't at the same standard's as Kaspersky and Symantec.

I always read that about ESET's firewall but as long as it asks me to allow or forbid the applications asking to connect to Internet (and it does it pretty well) , I have nothing to say against that firewall...

I always read that about ESET's firewall but as long as it asks me to allow or forbid the applications asking to connect to Internet (and it does it pretty well) , I have nothing to say against that firewall...

It does a good job at controling programs, etc. but doesn't do well at leak tests, exploits, etc. But ESET isn't that bad, but Kaspersky and Symantec are better.

I just run eset nod 32 + comodo firewall... and actually have been thinking of ditching eset entirely, using comodo firewall + hitman pro / malware bytes.

Find it disappointing almost NO tests etc are done using Comodo... it is unbelievably light.

It does a good job at controling programs, etc. but doesn't do well at leak tests, exploits, etc. But ESET isn't that bad, but Kaspersky and Symantec are better.

Maybe , but those leaktest I mean what is the chance to encounter stuff like that in "real life" browsing? If you surf the internet safely , don't download crack from bad places (for my part they come exclusively from here) , I don't think there is a point to have a "Firewallhipsmultilayersandbox" on your system...

Maybe , but those leaktest I mean what is the chance to encounter stuff like that in "real life" browsing? If you surf the internet safely , don't download crack from bad places (for my part they come exclusively from here) , I don't think there is a point to have a "Firewallhipsmultilayersandbox" on your system...

I agree, but it's always good to have a strong protection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Find it disappointing almost NO tests etc are done using Comodo... it is unbelievably light.

Read this. Not mentioning this cause you are saying about Comodo, but a reason why Comodo isn't included.

@Tweety.Abd: ESET firewall is great in protection, the protection marks you see is not for firewall, it's for HIPS. The firewall itself is quite fine (if you exclude some bugs in ESET 5). I'm saying this after testing for few months, otherwise I was one of the biggest critic of ESET firewall in previous versions.

Read this. Not mentioning this cause you are saying about Comodo, but a reason why Comodo isn't included.

@Tweety.Abd: ESET firewall is great in protection, the protection marks you see is not for firewall, it's for HIPS. The firewall itself is quite fine (if you exclude some bugs in ESET 5). I'm saying this after testing for few months, otherwise I was one of the biggest critic of ESET firewall in previous versions.

Thanks for the response :) I believe Symantec's Norton has better firewall which is fully automated and while automated, it creates program rules, unlike ESET, if you set it at Automatic, it doesn't create any program rules. But I'm a bit skeptical about Norton at the moment, my USB drive is almost always infected and when I plug it in my computer, it does delete the virus, but after a few moments, my hidden files and extensions and operating system files are left exposed. And this has happened like 5 times now, and the virus is called Win32.SillyFDC. It changes the folder option settings and I have to reset it again. I believe I need to contact with Symantec before I switch product. My settings are all set at maximum.

Comodo doing a years subscription for $4.99 for 3 PC's at the moment. Couldn't resist buying it at that price - will see if it's any good!

Comodo doing a years subscription for $4.99 for 3 PC's at the moment. Couldn't resist buying it at that price - will see if it's any good!

Let us know about it :) I've never used Comodo, and I don't think I ever will, but I'd like to know about the pros and cons about it.

Let us know about it :) I've never used Comodo, and I don't think I ever will, but I'd like to know about the pros and cons about it.

may be you should then check the video http://www.youtube.c...d&v=PIIRz3flDbE

i feel safe using my comodo internet security suite

xCKPH.png

As far as I knew, isn't comodo free?

On their forums you can see that their free versions are in no way limited compared to the paid, all you get extra is the virus free guarantee and the tech support...

Woah - never realised the whole "underworld" surrounding these tests... but I'm not really surprised, its a big business and these "awards" mean a lot when people go to buy such products...

However, I was more focussed on the PERFORMANCE aspects- AV companies provide ZERO information as to how the suite affects the computer - I mean, they don't even record resource usage over time etc, or effects on boot time and so on, apart from preaching that their new version is "faster and lighter than ever before"

Wish companies took such aspects of their products in mind when relating to information a consumer wants when choosing from the myriad of products available.

you get extra is the virus free guarantee and the tech support...

I'm amazed they charge for the antivirus component which happens (IMO) to be the weakest module in the package. Have no experience with their tech support, though.

you get extra is the virus free guarantee and the tech support...

I'm amazed they charge for the antivirus component which happens (IMO) to be the weakest module in the package. Have no experience with their tech support, though.

I'm pretty sure the AV component is free too. I'm running CIS premium, and it has AV, firewall, and defense+ (their HIPS).

• Administrator

@niharjhatn: Good point. AV vendors do work on improving startup and such, but nothing's transparent enough.

True, Comodo AV + Firewall + Defense+ is totally free. The paid version just offers extra services, etc.

Archived