Did you try windows 8?

tysroby

134 members have voted

1. 1. Did you try windows 8?

Just wondering, did any of you download and intsall the developer preview of Windows 8? And if so, what's your opinion of the new OS?

• Replies 36
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is still on my secondary partition.

Once you install in initially, it goes dog slow because it configures itself for optimal performance. After it is done, I can boot up to Win 8 from the dual boot screen in 12 seconds. That is running a single core AMD sempron 2.2 gig processor with built in nvidia 6150 video card, 3 gig of memory and a 5200 rpm drive.

It does have its quirks, a couple of the programs (weather) is a memory hog and has to be closed via task manager (looks so much nicer). The metro version of IE does not support java so a couple of my facebook games does not work in metro IE. I didn't see too much different in IE 10 vs. IE 9.

There is no "start menu" per say in the developers preview, the start button goes back to the metro desktop.

But all and all for now, it runs pretty well.

No, i never download Beta`s or Milestone`s or Previews from operating systems

or e.g. Office. It`s a waste of time and bandwidth (in my opinion). And most of the

time the changes between those to the final versions are too severely. ;)

I`ll let myself be surprised every time a new big release comes out. :lol:

The release version is clearly named "developer preview" - so, unless you are a curious developer, "have nothing to do" Windows user, or a beta tester, in my opinion, it is not worth to try...

Tried it for about an hour and got rid of it. Boots super fast which was great, but it's just missing too many features for it to be usable at this point... which is why it's only a preview. The two main things I didn't like (which will hopefully change in the beta and final) was the no functioning start menu thing, and that EVERYthing had to be closed via Task Manager.

I have it and it's great it's so much faster and lighter than windows 7 all my apps run more smoothly on Win8 than Win 7 and the metro look is nice . but there are some things that i really didn't like for example the Metro IE is S*** it looks nice but it has nothing even the IE10 in desktop view has problems with JAVA and FLASH and some other things like there's no start menu they moved all of it to metro view which will take longer to get access to them. all in all it's perfect and if the final release can run Xbox games man it wold be GREAT I WOULD GET REALLLLLYY HAPPY

installed it the day it was released & uninstalled it the day after, not into the metro look at all

if this is the way forward then it can move there without me :dance2:

Yes, and currently using it. (When I'm not booting into Ubuntu)

The metro touch thing sucks when you do not have a touchscreen.

But it's easy to disable everything "Metro", and then it's just like Win7, haha.

jimbojet2011

Just wondering, did any of you download and intsall the developer preview of Windows 8? And if so, what's your opinion of the new OS?

Yes I did,

I installed it in multi boot and it F**ed up my Installed Windows 7

I must say that it is ok for mobiles or laptops but when you have a strong and fast computer than I would not think about it.

Everything what will follow after W7 it will be only for the money.

Windows 7 Ultimate does a very good job and if i have the choice i probably just stick with W7

;-)

Greetings Jim

The flying dutchman

Seems like I'm one of the few who actually like the thing. Yes, I'm using Windows 8 currently, and also for most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 8 developer preview, but I downloaded and install all of them have not tried

Tried the Server version and liked it alot. Much faster all around than 7 or even 2008 R2. The Metro could be replaced with a start menue easily. Just had problems with my NIC driver and had to let it go. But all in all I liked it a bunch.

Yes, i tried it in my tablet. It still needs a lot of polishing. its really odd to navigate and the freezing of apps is annoying. well it is still in developers preview.

I haven't yet. I will when it matures further though since I had a great experience with Windows 7 testing. From what I've gathered the metro UI can be disabled easily.

Archived