Attn all limewire fanboys

Vargas

Download and try Gnucleus v2.2.0.0 for a few hours/days

I bet a lot of limewire users would switch to Gnucleus and never look back.

Gnucleus was the beginning of a few open-source Gnutella related projects (GWebCache, GnucDNA, GnucNS). Gnucleus itself is a Windows application for accessing the Gnutella and G2 networks. One of the first released after the introduction of Gnutella in 2000 by Nullsoft. It is also the first client to fully support the G2 network, the future of open protocol P2P. Currently most of the development effort is going into the GnucDNA (the core of Gnucleus) rather than the Gnucleus interface itself.

Homepage

Downloads

Change_log.txt

• Replies 41
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SliverSamuel

What's so good about it? :)

Open source

Not written in Java

I thought Limewire was open source?

that's why he listed two reasons, bearshare is not open source and limewire is written in java ;) ;)

But wasnt Lite refering to SliverSamuel post rather than mine? He was asking why Gnucleus is better than Limewire........... I was just pointing out that bearShare sucks.

SacredCultivator

Hmmm I guess I'll give this a try... Since LimeWire starting to lose it's taste for me...

SliverSamuel

Limwire has useful features and better skins though... ;) not an eyesore.

blephcartoon.png

SacredCultivator

Agreed...

But sorry i am a nub when it comes to this but what exactly is the difference between Open-Source/ Java... I mean I sorta like this new program.. But yeah Limewire just has more appeal to it...

• Administrator

Limewire is open source, however they have a "pro" version. IMO this is not a true open source application.

Java is a programming langugage. It produces very slow applications, that use lots of resources. Gnucleas is not written in java.

SliverSamuel

U mean 16!!! ;)

SliverSamuel

HUH??? :lol:

SacredCultivator

I dont' like it for some reason... Whenever I start downloading stuff with it... My DSL Dies out... But when I shut it off and then reconnect my Connection it is all fine.. Don't know if it is the Program or what...

SacredCultivator

Oh...

@nsane: That could be it... But don't really know what the heck that means ><

@Vargas: I will have to reinstall and try those options

Since I did like how the Search keeps going and the results... Only thing I hate is how if you delete the Picture/file the Results don't show you that you still have it 'Downloaded' or anything... And so sometimes I end up having MANY duplicates...

But yeah I'll give it another try since I do like it.

Download and try Gnucleus v2.2.0.0 for a few hours/days

I bet a lot of limewire users would switch to Gnucleus and never look back.

Gnucleus was the beginning of a few open-source Gnutella related projects (GWebCache, GnucDNA, GnucNS). Gnucleus itself is a Windows application for accessing the Gnutella and G2 networks. One of the first released after the introduction of Gnutella in 2000 by Nullsoft. It is also the first client to fully support the G2 network, the future of open protocol P2P. Currently most of the development effort is going into the GnucDNA (the core of Gnucleus) rather than the Gnucleus interface itself.

Homepage

Downloads

Change_log.txt

question. would we be able to access the g2 from home then using slow dsl/cable internet? i understand that we wouldnt be getting the speed of g2. just curious.

so many new p2p toys to play with. on a side note, are we able to run two different p2p that are on the same network at the same time? ei limewire and this gnucleus on the gnutella network. i ususally just run one p2p and newsgroups at the same time. so i one have 1 p2p2 for a certain network. ei limwire for gnutella and emule morph for edonkey. i dont even know if we can install 2 p2p on the same network :P i try to keep things clean and simple. im guessing only 1 fasttrack install allowed. like klr or klite. or can you install both on a computer and run only 1 at a time? just curious. thanks for the inf

question.  would we be able to access the g2 from home then using slow dsl/cable internet?  i understand that we wouldnt be getting the speed of g2.  just curious.

G2 works on any connection, you can reduce the overhead bandwidth by not being an ultrapeer, or disconnecting from the network alltogether when you're not searching. you even get "more sources" when offline through client to client source exchange

are we able to run two different p2p that are on the same network at the same time?  ei limewire and this gnucleus on the gnutella network. 

sure, as long as they use different incoming listening ports. But why would you want to run 2 clients on the same network, at the same time is beyond me...

im guessing only 1 fasttrack install allowed.  like klr or klite.  or can you install both on a computer and run only 1 at a time?  just curious.  thanks for the inf

that's because both klite and regular kazaa (or grokster) use the same system task name.

U can install K-Lite and KLR on the same computer but you just cant run then at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
Its better than bearShare in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know whether Bearshare Lite really has no ad-ware, and it crashed with a C runtime error when I had used it for about 15 minutes. I am thinking about trying Gnucleus 2.2 if it would be more stable and faster than BS.

Guest turkeysalad

I dont know, its ok. I dont really like the windows thing, I like the tabs like in limewire. Maybe I'm just used to it that way. I downloaded the same file and it went about 4 times faster with limewire than with gnucleus. Overall its ok but I like limewire better.

Archived