Comodo and DefenseWall the best firewall protection

AlienForce1

Google Translate - link to original post on Anti-Malware.ru site : Test firewalls to protect against internal attacks (September 2011)

In the tests were used 22 popular programs (versions of products July 2011) for the integrated protection and working on the platform of Windows XP SP3:

Avast! Internet Security 6.0.1203.0

AVG Internet Security 2011 (10.0.0.1390)

Avira Premium Security Suite 10.0.0.132

BitDefender Internet Security 2011 (14.0.28.351)

Comodo Internet Security 2011 (5.5.64714.1383)

DefenseWall Personal Firewall 3.12

Dr.Web Security Space 6.0.1.08010

Eset Smart Security 4.2 (4.2.71.2)

F-Secure Internet Security 2011 (1.30.4220.0)

G DATA Internet Security 2012 (22.0.2.26)

Jetico Personal Firewall 2.1 (2.1.0.10)

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (12.0.0.374)

McAfee Internet Security 2011 (11.0.572)

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 + Windows Firewall (using a bunch of products)

Norton Internet Security 2011 (18.1.0.37)

Online Armor Premium Firewall 5.0.0.1097

Online Solutions Security Suite 1.5.15307.0

Outpost Security Suite Pro 7.5 (3720.574.1668.464)

Panda Internet Security 2011 (16.00.00)

PC Tools Internet Security 2011 (1.0.0.58)

Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2011 (3.0.0.1303)

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2010 (9.3.37.0)

Testing was performed on two types of settings: the standard recommended by the manufacturer (the default) and the maximum.

AOufl.jpg

Vrid2.jpg

Firewall_inside_results_2011_pb.xls

Finally a test that is closer to what we see and feel on our computers (as you see the results differ to Matousec`s tests)

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they say firewall they actually talk about the HIPS i think.

No , look again to my post , I edited and put the links to original russian post and link to Google translation

Anti-Malware.ru

From the perspective of ordinary users firewall, of course, is the second largest after the anti-virus protection component of a PC. Unfortunately, sources of information, according to which one could determine which of the firewalls on the market protects better, very little.

Let's first define some terminology and answer the question - what is a firewall? By definition, the Internet standard [RFC3511] (2003), a firewall - a system that implements the filtering of network packets according to specified rules in order to distinguish traffic between network segments.

But with the growth of malicious software and hacker attacks, the source of the problem of firewall is supplemented with new functional modules. Already virtually impossible to complete without a firewall module HIPS (system event monitoring, control, integrity, etc.).

The main task of a modern firewall - to block unauthorized network communication (the attacks), subdivided into internal and external. These include:

External attacks on secure firewall system:

initiated by hackers;

initiated by malicious code.

Unauthorized outgoing network connections:

initiated by untrusted applications (malware);

initiated applications whose network activity is expressly forbidden rules.

In addition, virtually disappeared from the market products that could be attributed to pure personal firewalls in the classical formulation in 2003. They were replaced by complex products protect PCs, without fail include faervolny component.

In view of the greatest relevance, we decided to start a comparative test of firewalls with studying the quality of protection against internal attacks that originate from within the system. The test was conducted in the following areas:

security check process from being completed;

protection from standard internal attacks;

testing of protection against leakage of non-standard;

testing of protection against the penetration of non-standard techniques in kernel mode.

More here : Test Methodology firewalls to protect against internal attacks (September 2011)

Ilya Shabanov, managing partner of Anti - Malware. Ru:

"With this test, we start a big project over firewalls in products for home computers. Today on the firewall offers much more than a few years ago. It should proactively detect malicious network activity and to be the last line of defense against leakage of personal data of users - even if other components of the defense did not work or were disabled. It is the existence of such possibilities in my view distinguishes a really cool modern firewall technology from the previous day.

This test assesses the capabilities of popular firewalls to protect from internal attacks. If from outside attacks, bad poor all have learned to defend himself, then with the internal things are different. The test results showed that in practice very few firewalls can protect it from the quality of internal attacks. I think that the results of this test will cause many to think that not all firewalls are equally good, and that very much depends on the correct settings for most products protection with standard settings turned out to be much weaker than the maximum.. "

I know what combination I am gonna use when my KIS license expires in the middle of April now. Nod32 (or maybe ESS with the firewall and HIPS disabled?) with Comodo Firewall (though I knew from the past experience it was good too, didn't know it's that good...)... :lol: But there's time to that...

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the share too :blush:

Archived