nod32 3.0.621 & Thunderbird Webmail

Xenoth

Is it possible to configurate ESS to check my email in thunderbird? I've put the POP3 ports in right spot in ESS, checked Mozilla Thunderbird for email program and... i dunno is it working... But there are no signs of scanning when receiving a mail, and "number of scanned messages" in ESS "Antivirus and antispyware" section shows 0.

Sry for my english :dance2:

Cheers.

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please carefully read http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190312

It seems that if you will configure ESS it will scan the mail you receive through Thunderbird, but the Anti-Spam module will not work, yet.

I'm sure others that know more about Eset stuff will answer you with more details soon, as I use Kaspersky, but till then, read that forum as it is maybe the best security forum around.

It seems that if you will configure ESS it will scan the mail you receive through Thunderbird

Thing is - i don't know how to do this. I should get a tag messages to every received and scanned mail but i'm not getting it :dance2:

And about anti-spam module - i know it only works with M$ outlook.

bearoninternet
Is it possible to configurate ESS to check my email in thunderbird? I've put the POP3 ports in right spot in ESS, checked Mozilla Thunderbird for email program and... i dunno is it working... But there are no signs of scaning when receiving a mail, and "number of scanned messages" in ESS "Antivirus and antispyware" section shows 0.

Sry for my english :rolleyes:

Cheers.

ESS should check your mail automatically, to check so;

First switch to advanced mode.

Go to -> protectection status - > antivirus and spyware

Look at number of scanned messages

Send yourself a new mail to verify.

BTW; why do you use the suite? The spamfilter doesnt support thunderbird yet and the firewall is not all that good imo.

There is no special mozilla / thunderbird setup in the advanced setup tree to configure you're email.

You could try tif things work out by running eicar test

Good luck.

Like i said the number of scanned messages shows 0, and i've received a 20ish mails since ESS install.

It didn't detect it. So it doesn't work.

Well that is irritating...

BTW; why do you use the suite? The spamfilter doesn't support thunderbird yet and the firewall is not all that good imo.

I really liked NOD32 for its light form and efficiency. I thought that it's either NOD32 v3.0 and COMODO or ESS.

Than i realized that within last 2 or 3 years I've came across 0 virus or attack threats so i don't see the point of slowing my system down with Norton360 or Kaspersky constantly for nothing... So i chose ESS.

But now with that email problem...

If i don't find a solution for this soon I'll probably switch to something again. What do you suggest ? Layer-based security (eg. NOD32 and COMODO +spybot or something like this) or security suite like Kaspesky, Bitdefender or Norton360(NIS 2008?)? If so, which one?

I always prefer loading a single service at startup instead of 3. So I'm with the suite thing - if it's done right. Install which components you need from it. Many here will suggest Eset, and it's a very good product. My needs are best covered by Kaspersky though, and I find (to my amazement) that the new 7.0.1.321 ver is even quicker on my system and even as I'm making a full scan (which was not very nice in 7.0.0.125) I can work perfectly well in Photoshop. Well, it shares better resources I think. Get ready though for the Eset supporters :dance2:

I've just checked and it did scanned my mail in Outlook express but ESS did nothing with the mail from the eicar test... Weird but that mail didn't have any attachments...

bearoninternet

Like i said the number of scanned messages shows 0, and i've received a 20ish mails since ESS install.

It didn't detect it. So it doesn't work.

Well that is irritating...

Are you sure you installed ess AFTER installing thunderbird? I've never heard of this problem before.

Perhaps you can try to uninstall and install just nod av (not the suite) or reinstall the whole thingy.

If that doesnt work out i'd switch av, probably kaspersky.

Btw, what os are you on?

Get ready though for the Eset supporters ;)

:innocent:

I've just checked and it did scanned my mail in Outlook express but ESS did nothing with the mail from the eicar test... Weird but that mail didn't have any attachments...

I think i might be ablle to help you. Did you also check the box of Mozilla Thunderbird as an Email client? This might help.

And there used to be an option 'Scan plain text' there's not anymore(i checked). But they might just not scan plain text. So try sending an email with an attachment.

bearoninternet

I think i might be ablle to help you. Did you also check the box of Mozilla Thunderbird as an Email client? This might help.

What box? Could you make a screenshot?

I did and i mentioned it:

checked Mozilla Thunderbird for email program and

I just installed Outlook 2007 and it works as well.

And i did install ESS AFTER installing thunderbird.

I did and i mentioned it:

checked Mozilla Thunderbird for email program and

Whoops sorry, hadn't read that carefully enough.

Well i guess i won't be able to help you after all:(

Well it's still not working with Thunderbird

But i will give an outlook 2007 a try.

Its just a pity cause i like Mozilla products so much ;) ( M$ not-so-much) and I support them as much as i can.

And firefox & thunderbirds icons looked nice next to each other :innocent:

@bearoninternet - im running XP sp2.

If you choose to use Opera, you will have mail client/browser/one icon in the tray. There's no point in 2 installations. Kaspersky will scan POP traffic regardless of the client, and it has special plugins for Outlook/The Bat clients.

Opera feature: Don't forget about the RSS reader also, very handy ;)

I had this same problem... Try going into account settings and removing your current email account and then re-add it.

I have been using MozBackup (currently v1.47) for some time now, but for some odd reason the last backup I made had some error in the account profile and doing the above fixed it for me.

I am using:

ESS 3.x.621

Thunderbird 2.0.0.9

FireFox 2.0.0.11

I had this same problem... Try going into account settings and removing your current email account and then re-add it.

I have been using MozBackup (currently v1.47) for some time now, but for some odd reason the last backup I made had some error in the account profile and doing the above fixed it for me.

I am using:

ESS 3.x.621

Thunderbird 2.0.0.9

FireFox 2.0.0.11

I was just wondering if this worked for anyone else??

Not sure if anyone here has any ideas, but I've been trying to find an answer as to why the thunderbird webmail extension will not work with the latest version of nod32.

This has only seemed to be a problem beginning with 621. With this version installed, I can't retrieve any email via the webmail extension (which allows you to download webmail services such as yahoo, hotmail, etc...) in Thunderbird. It attempts to connect to the services via localhost. I'm thinking that there must be some conflict over the use of that port between nod32 and thunderbird webmail.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've tried disabling almost everything in NOD32 to no avail. The only thing that will get my email working again is by uninstalling 3.0.621. If I reinstall any version up to 566 I have no problems.

Thanks for any help.

Archived