[Solved] Video Card Question

csmdew

I have a video card that is pci-e 16x 2.0 but is only runnibg at 1.1 and MB is 2.0 capable, so how do I get the card running at its appropiate speed, thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a video card that is pci-e 16x 2.0 but is only runnibg at 1.1 and MB is 2.0 capable, so how do I get the card running at its appropiate speed, thanks.

do you have the card in the correct slot?

What Exact Motherboard and Video Card are you using ???

As stated above make sure the Video Card is installed in a PCI-E 2.0 16x Slot.

Check your BIOS and make sure evrything is setup correctly to utilize the PCI-E 16x speeds.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card and chipset.

• Administrator

From above posts.

Few things that need to be checked.

1. BIOS is not limiting it.

2. Windows Power Options. I remember mine was also running on a slower speed, then I checked the power options was limiting the power to PCI-E, hence it was somehow running on PCI-E 1.x.

3. Some software may or can also be doing this. Any graphics card related software you're running?

Guess I should have entered more of the info: 1 pci-e slot, card fully inserted and has latest drivers; I have the latest bios flashed for this gigabyte board (GA-MA770) which is 2.0 compatible. The power option I am not sure of since I'm not really sure what u are talking about, win pwr options? Should I configure this to high performance, right now its at balanced. Don't have any other software that might interfere with it that I can think of. Will go back into bios and see if there's anything I missed. Been like this for last 2 cards but really paid no attention but would really like to know more now. Thanks

• Administrator

@csmdew: Do this:

Open Control Panel, go to Power Options, click on "Change plan settings" of the plan you are using > Change advanced power settings > PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Change the Setting to "Off". OK it and restart the computer (important). Then check it again in GPU-Z.

That had solved my problem. :rolleyes:

That could really be the problem. But actually it's not a problem. I just checked, and I have same situation. But as soon as I start some game, I can see gpu-z shows card running on 2.0. Just minimize game and you can see it changed to 2.0. I would keep the settings to save energy.

Cheers ;)

I think that's what mine is doing, just sitting until the needed and then going to 2.0, I will try other solution just to see if it works and then put back as u suggest to save power, thanks.

• Administrator

That could really be the problem. But actually it's not a problem. I just checked, and I have same situation. But as soon as I start some game, I can see gpu-z shows card running on 2.0. Just minimize game and you can see it changed to 2.0. I would keep the settings to save energy.

Cheers ;)

Ah. I should have known that. I was all blazing when this happened to me. But the max power my graphics card takes is 22W (5W when idle) so don't really have to worry. :P I guess, I can change it back to moderate and maximum again. :D

I think that's what mine is doing, just sitting until the needed and then going to 2.0, I will try other solution just to see if it works and then put back as u suggest to save power, thanks.

Glad to hear it worked. :)

Cheers ;)

Ah. I should have known that. I was all blazing when this happened to me. But the max power my graphics card takes is 22W (5W when idle) so don't really have to worry. :P I guess, I can change it back to moderate and maximum again. :D

Glad to hear it worked. :)

Thanks all for the help; u can close this now.

• Administrator

Thanks all for the help; u can close this now.

You're welcome. I've marked the thread as [solved] instead. :)

Archived