Registry Cleaners

zombiegod

I've always been a fan of Registry Cleaners. There are a wealth of them to choose from out there, some good, some bad... Or are they all bad.

I've been having a rethink as I was never stuck on any one particular registry cleaner for more than a few months at a time. I would try another one with a different UI that picked up more registry errors than the previous one, so I would change etc, etc.

But it got to a stage where after a dozen or so changes of different Reg Cleaners, I would try the first one again, and once again it would pick up more errors than the new one ;)

To top it all off I usually do a full reformat every 10-12 months. This is because the software I use either loses its appeal and sits there unused, I end up clogging it with stuff I won't listen to/watch or my wife goes on a game spree which involves installing/uninstalling 10-20 games a week.

Maybe if I never started using Reg Cleaners in the first place I wouldn't need to reformat as much?

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong- if fiddle with the soft- in a couple of moth you'd not be able to use your pc (or it would be as slow as nothing else)

Regarding which and so on, my moto test few things and stay loyal to ones that you like ( Mine CCLeaner, Ace Utilities, WinXpManager)

Nr of games tested... youd'd, better get game jackal?

I'm acctually only using Nod32 AV, SpySweeper and TuneUp 2008. Furthermore just lightweight apps.

Me too except for the TuneUp.

I'm acctually only using Nod32 AV, SpySweeper and TuneUp 2008. Furthermore just lightweight apps.

Me too except for the TuneUp.

I'd recommend TuneUp Utilities, it has a convenient interface and does it's job quite well. I think that CCleaner does it better though, don't know why... But TuneUp has alot more features so i just use both ;)

I've always been a fan of Registry Cleaners. There are a wealth of them to choose from out there, some good, some bad... Or are they all bad.

I've been having a rethink as I was never stuck on any one particular registry cleaner for more than a few months at a time. I would try another one with a different UI that picked up more registry errors than the previous one, so I would change etc, etc.

But it got to a stage where after a dozen or so changes of different Reg Cleaners, I would try the first one again, and once again it would pick up more errors than the new one ;)

To top it all off I usually do a full reformat every 10-12 months. This is because the software I use either loses its appeal and sits there unused, I end up clogging it with stuff I won't listen to/watch or my wife goes on a game spree which involves installing/uninstalling 10-20 games a week.

Maybe if I never started using Reg Cleaners in the first place I wouldn't need to reformat as much?

i would also vote for tune up utilities and ccleaner.the latter is free with frequent updates and the former is readily availabe on the front page(most of the time)or like i did you may purchase it.

I'm going to go cold turkey and see how long I can last before doing a Registry clean.

In the past I've used :

• CCleaner
  • Reg Mechanic
  • Reg Cure
  • Tuneup Utilities
  • Windows Doctor
  • Ace Utilities

To name a few.

'IF' I do need to use any I'm going to start again with something 'light', like CCleaner, which has always been a fave.

;)

It is not smart to use more then one 1 registry cleaner ...

ccleaner is the fastest and easiest, and it's more then enough;

This is a program who defragments the registry; http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ntregopt.html

ccleaner and NTREGOPT and ESET antivirus are enought to keep you computer clean

*edit;*

i forgot one program; DEFRAGGLER

It's smart to try out a few of them and then pick the best.

Using CCleaner with TuneUp isn't a problem at all. I even think using them at the same time won't hurt(won't do any good too). But most of the time i just use CCleaner for it's purposes(cleaning and registry cleaning) and use TuneUp for other tasks, for defragmenting i would recommend everyone Ultimatedefrag, if you read their guide(will take just 5-15 mins) and use his/her/their advice your computer will benefit allot from it.

I read registry cleaners as a whole were basically useless.

If you frequently install applications on your pc, a registry cleaner is a must have. Every install/uninstall brings allot of changes with it within the registry, and almost every install/uninstall does something wrong in there. So if you wait long enough you will get errors, slow performance and a way too big registry which has it's consequences.

bearoninternet
I read registry cleaners as a whole were basically useless.

If you frequently install applications on your pc, a registry cleaner is a must have. Every install/uninstall brings allot of changes with it within the registry, and almost every install/uninstall does something wrong in there. So if you wait long enough you will get errors, slow performance and a way too big registry which has it's consequences.

I use Your Uninstaller for uninstalling (duh), registry cleaning; ccleaner and jv16 powertools (agressive mode).

Compacting the registry (jv16) helps alot as well (especially for startupspeed).

Compacting the registry (jv16) helps alot as well (especially for startupspeed).

Yes, but TuneUp is able to compact the registry too and does a great job at that.

I can understand compacting the registry, I do that too. But I never really saw a difference in computer performance when using registry cleaners, and some people say it might even cause damage if used too often. If I see my computer is getting too slow for no reason or getting too many errors, I just reinstall windows.

bearoninternet
I can understand compacting the registry, I do that too. But I never really saw a difference in computer performance when using registry cleaners, and some people say it might even cause damage if used too often. If I see my computer is getting too slow for no reason or getting too many errors, I just reinstall windows.

When you're getting errors, it's too late anyway. Sounds like pre-xp :rolleyes:

One more great tool for the aim of clean'ish pc once testing stuff is Your Uninstaller! good help indeed!

SacredCultivator

I use both CCleaner + TuneUp Utilities '08 to clean up my files and whatnot, uses TuneUp First then CCleaner.

I do use Your Uninstaller '08 for Uninstalling and that's it, don't really touch the other features (Cleaning Files).

As for the Compacting of Registry, is the one that is included in TuneUp Utilities any good? I mean I honestly don't see much of a difference.. and compared to the one dumble suggested, NTRegOpt, is it any better?

But yeah I like to use as minimal of programs as possible just to not have too many icons on my Desktop.

At the end of the day, no matter what, I still think a re-format once every 12-24 months is the best thing to do.

If I steer clear of Reg Cleaners (except maybe CCleaner) it'll probably be for the better.

Archived