[Guide] Web-sites + MBAM protection module

Kojootti

Okay,I was struggling with this myself for a while..

My problem was,none of the browsers installed on my machine wouldn't open certain web-sites..

I tracked down the culprit to be Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Protection module which auto-starts with my machine...

It had "Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts." clicked as ACTIVE.

Untick that,close the browser+internet connection,re-connect+open browser.. It works!

(You still may have to right-click on the MBAM system tray icon,and make sure "Website blocking" is unticked..)

If you still want to have that option being active,there should be in your system tray,

MBAM Tray Icon..right click on it,and it should bring up an menu,

where reads Add to Ignore list,where it then shows an list of IP's.

(I wonder why not the host names,would be easier to know which is being blocked,but

if you have "ShowIP" add-on installed in your Firefox,that will help to know the IP of the site,without external-tools..)

As simple as that.. I'm a total jack*ss for not figuring this out myself earlier.. :)

Hope this helps some,which may have similar problems I HAD.

In short: Sometimes the solution is right infront of your eyes.

(I must be blind, LOL.)

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

MBAM's IP protection has been problematic from the time it was introduced. There was a time people weren't able to access the FP or forums because of it.

Yeah,I'm 100% sure I had it turned off before the program update,which I think turned it back on,and I just didn't notice it. :P

Funny thing is,it thinks some of web-proxy sites are malicious sites,and it blocks them.

But,incase the exclusions list works, there shouldn't be a problem about it.

Never tried it,but gonna test it now.

I am unable to download anything from torrent because of its ip blocker.

Oh.. I am.. U sure it's not a firewall related issue?

If you can open the torrent site with a web-browser,then I'm sure MBAM is not the issue. :)

I am not talking about download .torrent file.

Talking about downloading through utorrent. Its ip blocker blocks ips of peers.

I am not talking about download .torrent file.

Talking about downloading through utorrent. Its ip blocker blocks ips of peers.

Yeah,and it bugs.

Just enabled it again and added sites on it's ignore list and it still won't open any of them sites.

Bottom line: Keep it disabled,doesn't work as it's suppose to.

• Administrator

I'm not sure if it matters now, but couple of years ago mara- had made a post about disabling it completely:

Registry Switches for Controlling IP-Blocking in MBAM 1.41

Create the indicated registry value (labeled as key | value) with the indicated data and reboot to enforce the policies below. All of the values are of type DWORD. In order to create a registry value, open the Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit), navigate to the key listed, and then right-click in the right-hand panel and choose New -> DWORD.

1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware | silentipmode

Description: With a DWORD value of 1, the protection module will block and log IPs silently.

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware | startipdisabled

Description: With a DWORD value of 1, IP blocking will start disabled on reboot, although it can be enabled subsequently.

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware | disableipblocking

Description: With a DWORD value of 1, IP blocking will be permanently disabled (cannot be toggled).

Note that, on 64-bit editions of Windows, the registry values that AdvancedSetup mentioned are located in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Cheers ;)

Because of this IP Blocker problem which caused problems even when disabled, I had stopped using the Pro version and only use the scanner now. So I don't know if these registry edits are required with new versions.

I'm not sure if it matters now, but couple of years ago mara- had made a post about disabling it completely:

Because of this IP Blocker problem which caused problems even when disabled, I had stopped using the Pro version and only use the scanner now. So I don't know if these registry edits are required with new versions.

I'm using the PRO version coz you can't use the flash scan on Free version.. (well,I have a legitimate license for this...)

It's enough,if you just untick "Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts." on "Protection" section of the GUI.

(atleast it works on me fine now..)

But if it updates to a newer program version,make sure to check the new version didn't enable it automatically.

Archived