Shock: AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012

rseiler

This isn't a fly-by-night author, either, he's been doing this for a very long time. Still, I've had bad enough experiences with AVG in the past that this news borders on the incredible.

Full article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391931,00.asp

Pros

Very good scores in PCMag's malware removal and malware blocking tests. High ratings from independent labs. Protection against phishing and exploits. Toolbar with safe search, Facebook access, and more. Fast scan.

Cons

Rootkit scan is separate from whole computer scan. Phishing and exploit protection less effective than antivirus.

Bottom Line

This free product scored better than the commercial competition in PCMag's hands-on antivirus tests, and it also gets high marks from the independent labs. It now integrates with other AVG products and includes useful bonus features. AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 is PCMag's new Editors' Choice for free antivirus.

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are only concentrating on detection rates. They left out the part about the bloated mess it makes on your computer, slowing it down worse than most viruses.

To be honest guys, I've tried avg 2012 internet sec. and it has NOT been a significant impact on system resources.

I am no fanboy of avg, and having tried avg 2011, I noticed what has been mentioned - it slowed down my computer immensely, even basic tasks like typing and opening folders were delayed for a couple of seconds.

However, comparitively, avg 2012 runs remarkably well!

Try it, you will be surprised!

The best way to check if a program deserves attention is to test it yourself.

like bizzare said... ;)

To be honest guys, I've tried avg 2012 internet sec. and it has NOT been a significant impact on system resources.

I am no fanboy of avg, and having tried avg 2011, I noticed what has been mentioned - it slowed down my computer immensely, even basic tasks like typing and opening folders were delayed for a couple of seconds.

However, comparitively, avg 2012 runs remarkably well!

Try it, you will be surprised!

i've had to remove it from customers computers. it seems that many AV makers forget that not everyone has quad core i7s with 4gb ram.

AVG 2012 is very fast doing on demand scans. From the 2011 version to the 2012 version it's obvious to me that significant under the hood changes were made to the scanning engine.

Being free it's good. And deserves the front page it occupies.

PC Mag is known for talking carp. I think they've always been fans of AVG, and I'd never trust there opinions on anything. I hope it's good as it would bring back memories of years ago when I used it :D Until I found Avast.

i've had to remove it from customers computers. it seems that many AV makers forget that not everyone has quad core i7s with 4gb ram.

Haha well... I HAVE been earning a little more... :rolleyes:

@Dkt

nice one ..... :D +1

one thing i have learnt on the net , say it as a kind of a rule ..

" what ever it is , what ever any one says , when ever anyone says , from where so ever any one says , all is immaterial .

stay away from AVG and McAfee ....!!! "

its simple , quick , efficient , and it really works . this rule rules ..! ;)

:P

@Dkt

nice one ..... :D +1

one thing i have learnt on the net , say it as a kind of a rule ..

" what ever it is , what ever any one says , when ever anyone says , from where so ever any one says , all is immaterial .

stay away from AVG and McAfee ....!!! "

its simple , quick , efficient , and it really works . this rule rules ..! ;)

:P

you should add Trend Micro to your list aswell ;)

Archived