Recommended Hardware

JunkInternetMail

JunkInternetMail

If you are a geek, gamer, casual PC user, or just someone who likes playing with technology, I have a recommendation for you.

Some of us have older systems which rely on the old IDE/PATA standards. Others of us have newer systems which use SATA or SATA II.

All of us have hardware from both eras -- why should we NOT use that shit?

I found this awesome device which is really inexpensive (think 1 less trip to McDonalds, 1 less dime bag, or a few less beers @ the bar): UNDER $20.00 USD shipped.

USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA/2.5"/3.5" Drive Adapter

This device can be seen here:

Why do I love this device so much? A few reasons:

1) Now without opening the case or trying to find new room or buying a new external enclosure or ANOTHER external enclosure/drive I can expand my storage capabilities.

2) I can use IDE drives in my SATA/SATA II motherboard systems.

3) I can use SATA/SATA II drives in my IDE/PATA motherboard systems.

4) I can test drives I buy used right on the spot with my laptop.

5) I can hook up *ANY laptop drives to ANY PC* using this device (yes -- even MACs).

6) Despite loss of speeds using USB 2.0 (which isn't really slow) I have complete and total flexibility without much hassle at all.

7) You can use more than 1 standard at a time, yes, hook up 1 SATA, 1 IDE, and 1 2.5" drive simultaneously!

What are the drawbacks?

1) Exposed drives.

2) Multi-step cabling assembly (power adapter, inserting drive to adapter, connecting USB to PC).

3) Multi part device which needs storage when not in use.

Obviously this device is worth it's price to me as a system builder/tester and repairman who has a few clients who are savvy and thifty side of the coin.

They LOVE buying used upgrade parts and now I can test these things in any public meeting place with electricity or even in my car (w/adapter for power).

Most interestingly, this device can remove the need for 2 other devices (which I happen to also have purchased recently for other reasons):

The first device is for converting standard laptop hard drives into usable 3.5 IDE formats.

The second device is for converting a either IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE -- it is TRUE bidirectional.

Both can be valuable in a situation where an external enclosure only supports 1 format or the other or in a case where you store the drive internally.

I KNOW there are cards out there for this, but these days PCI slots are limited and quickly being eaten up with MONSTER GRAPHICS CARDS!

*The final thing you might need to test a laptop's optical drive can be found here:*

This final adapter is for converting any laptop optical drive into usable IDE format.

If you are curious, it can be daisy chained with the adapters found above.

Insert the adapter seen above into the adapter this article features and viola...what CAN'T you test or use?

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived