AMD VS INTEL

dim505

AMD VS INTEL  

149 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT DO U CHOOSE??

actually 1100t does pull out in front of i5 in video editing only because it has 6 cores and the i5 has 4

Nope. The Intel CPU's power consumption is lower also.

Admittedly, we're splitting hairs at this point.

Here's several benchmarks:

Site: http://www.anandtech.com
Code: /bench/Product/288?vs=203

• Replies 41
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i choose intel because intel is well known and popular.. AMD is not that popular.. and there are rumors saying that their processor are bad, easily heat up... <_<

i choose intel because intel is well known and popular.. AMD is not that popular.. and there are rumors saying that their processor are bad, easily heat up... <_<

I think you are misinformed. Intel uses aggressive and underhand marketing that blocks AMD in many markets/countries. They have been doing this from inception because they have the capital to get it done. AMD does not waste money on aggressive marketing and it is part of their overall strategy to keep the cost down to make their processors more affordable. Trust me the profit margin on an Intel CPU is greater than 50%. Intel's prices are higher in general but it ties in with their marketing to make the customer feel egotistically superior by owning an Intel. Intel makes more money by blocking AMD today and paying them out from lawsuits later.

Intel's pricing is not really based on the cost of manufacturing the product but more about the amount they want your ego to be boosted and your level of satisfaction. Even on their own website they make you feel that you absolutely need an i7 cpu for gaming and an i3 or i5 is only good enough for checking emails. ISP's trick customers the same way to sell their higher end products, they tell you that you need the highest bandwidth package to play games when in fact online games are optimized for low bandwidth connections and latency plays a more important role than bandwidth.

All processors heat up easily, soon as you turn them on, it just so happens that at the current standing Intel cpu's use less power than AMD for the same TDP design. That could change at any time and it has in the past, Pentium 4 and Pentium D were epic failures due to their massive heat output and energy wastage. Not to mention first generation HyperThreading with its high voltage leak that added even more heat. In the early 90's and prior, AMD CPU did not come with thermal shutdown diode so they would burn out if they overheated however those things are in the past and all CPU's today come with thermal shutdown protection.

I think you are misinformed. Intel uses aggressive and underhand marketing that blocks AMD in many markets/countries. They have been doing this from inception because they have the capital to get it done. AMD does not waste money on aggressive marketing and it is part of their overall strategy to keep the cost down to make their processors more affordable. Trust me the profit margin on an Intel CPU is greater than 50%. Intel's prices are higher in general but it ties in with their marketing to make the customer feel egotistically superior by owning an Intel. Intel makes more money by blocking AMD today and paying them out from lawsuits later.

Intel's pricing is not really based on the cost of manufacturing the product but more about the amount they want your ego to be boosted and your level of satisfaction. Even on their own website they make you feel that you absolutely need an i7 cpu for gaming and an i3 or i5 is only good enough for checking emails. ISP's trick customers the same way to sell their higher end products, they tell you that you need the highest bandwidth package to play games when in fact online games are optimized for low bandwidth connections and latency plays a more important role than bandwidth.

All processors heat up easily, soon as you turn them on, it just so happens that at the current standing Intel cpu's use less power than AMD for the same TDP design. That could change at any time and it has in the past, Pentium 4 and Pentium D were epic failures due to their massive heat output and energy wastage. Not to mention first generation HyperThreading with its high voltage leak that added even more heat. In the early 90's and prior, AMD CPU did not come with thermal shutdown diode so they would burn out if they overheated however those things are in the past and all CPU's today come with thermal shutdown protection.

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

These days, there are a few reasons why anyone would upgrade to high-end gear (in order of most common):

1. Bragging!
  2. Because they WANT it, period.
  3. Because they THINK they need it.
  4. Just for kicks (loaded?).
  5. All of the above!
  6. Because they actually need it (rare breed).

to add to above- AMD is kinda underdog in political/greed wars- always will support them. BTW lately had poor luck- mainly I$tel's on my PC's :ph34r:

I don't have much money so I'll choose AMD!

I have had Intel's Quad but i was retired of it. I needed motherboard using USB 3.0 so i went to my PC shop, they told me an AMD based system is future secure :lol:

Having now Phenom II X4 955 ^_^

No probs so far.

JohnnyBravo41

I have always been a faithful AMD user, but have had a few Intels over the past 24 years.....

I recently built (2) custom gaming Rigs... the first was an AMD Phenom II 975 3.6 Ghz quadcore........ the second build was an Intel i7-2600K 3.4 Ghz quadcore

both have Top Shelf ASUS MB's

both have Thermaltake Level10 GT cases

both have Thermaltake 850w PSU's

both have Corsair CAFA70 CPU cooler with dual 120mm fans

both have same memory - 16 Gig's of Corsair Vengance 1600 Mhz DDR3

both have Win 7 Ult 64bit on a Crucial 128 Gig SATA III 6.0 Gbps SSD ( the M4 series )

both have ASUS BluRay Burner & LG BluRay-Rom/DVD-DL Burner 's

both have USB 3.0 on back I/O plate and on front Top panel ( case came with these )

AMD has XFX 6870 1gig VC, Intel has XFX 6950 2 Gig VC

AMD has SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro SC, Intel has ASUS Xonar SC

AMD has ASUS 27" WS Monitor, Intel has HannsG 27.5" WS Monitor

AMD has 2nd HD 450 Gig WD Velociraptor 6.0 Gbps SATA III, Intel has 2nd HD Hitachi 1.5 TB 6.0 Gbps SATA III

I seriously have found no gain on the Intel chip, being any faster ( and possibly slower in some aspects ) than my AMD 975 chip......

however the new firmware out for my M4 SSD's ver 009, has my read/write speeds performing even faster with read up in the 500 and write over 400

in the past Intel started performing and out pacing AMD during the Athlon Athlon II and dual core days ( sockets 754, 939, 940? ) Intel was running cooler and overclocking alot better.....

but here in the past Year or more AMD has closed the gap to almost none at all....... yet AMD still maintains their lower pricing structure......

JohnnyB

• 2 weeks later...

AMD provides the best dollar value

^ agree

AMD provides the best dollar value (for a low budge people)

Intel provides performance. (for ppl who are willing to spend $1200 US +, like me)

^ agree

AMD provides the best dollar value (for a low budge people)

Intel provides performance. (for ppl who are willing to spend $1200 US +, like me)

Had an AMD Athlon 64 which died in like 3 years..

On the other hand, my old P4 still works fine..

Currently, using an i7..

So I would say that Intel may be expensive, but is wayyy more reliable :sneaky:

AMD provides the best value, more bang for your buck I must be honest I have never bought an Intel not in 10 years

I have never had an AMD die on me but I can't comment on what I have never used (ie Intel)

I have even used Linux ??????????????? but with AMD

It all depends on your budget. If you want the greatest 'bang for buck' I would recommend AMD most of the time, but if you're looking to spend quite some money on a powerful system then Intel might be my preference.

He has a very good point!

• 1 month later...

i would go for amd, i have a phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz with 4gb ram ddr3 so far no prob.even through i heard bulldozer is a faillure so i would w8 to see what amd does next :)

INTEL!!!

amd is good if your processor is new...

intel last for a long time

intel use only 1 core if needed it use both

unlike AMD high performance starting at windows logon

intel is good

also saves energy.... i have 1 amd i have 8 intel + 1 intel atom

• 4 weeks later...

When I am splurging, it's Intel. When I get back to my senses, it's AMD. Seriously, I bought my Intel when I was loaded with dough. :D

Archived