Printing Problem

csmdew

Working on a printing problem for a friend and was unable to solve it so I am asking for any help I can get. While trying to rund and large print job after about the first 100 pages the print will change from 12pt to about 40pt or it will become jibberish that's not readable. I reinstalled the printer and tried to find a new driver but all I have is a driver from 2003. The printer is a Samsung ml84p and is connected to a machine running win 2000 (os cannot be upgraded). Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Print 100 pages at a time.. This issue is most likely with the printer itself... either with spooling the data or with an onboard chip or RAM... Possibly even with the OS itself.. not being able to hold on to the memory or spool correctly.. ( which seems as though t could be down to stipulations f the OS or maybe a registry entry or cache management..depending on how this area operates )

What about the compatibility of the program being used?

I recon its nothing to do with printer/software, all to do with messed up M$ O settings, have a look at preferences there

Not printing from ms and the program is perfectly compatible and has been working fine the past three or four years and actually it's about 350 pages at a time. I agree with the premise that it's probably the printer itself having to do with the spooling or lost dll. Have informed the people to try another printer to see if that is the problem, but still searching for other suggestion in case it's not the printer, thanks.

What type of document are you trying to print?

They are individual monthly statements; after we get thru about the first 100 people the statements get gibberish or font changes to around 40pt or larger.

What format? xls(x), doc(x), rtf, pdf?

I assume that all the pages look nice and perfect on the computer, and they become messed up only on paper because of the printing?

If you send me a PM with a copy of the file, I'll take a look at it.

Are they printing from an accounting software hence the monthly statements?

1. Do they have another computer with that same software in which you can install that printer and test/observe if it produces the same result? If it does, then it must be the printer. If there's an additional memory installed in the printer try to see if you can remove it and clean it. Maybe there's a defect in the memory.

2. If it prints all pages fine then the problem is with the other computer. You said that it was working fine before so I'll assume it could be the OS. You already said that you've tried re-installing the printer/driver again. Given the situation, as a last resort, I'd do a fresh install of the OS (if possible) or install it to another HDD (again, if possible) to isolate if the problem lies in the OS. I know it's time consuming but it's what I usually do given the situation if I really want to isolate the problem.

3. Looking at the manual I've searched, I see that the printer is using a parallel interface. I would also check the BIOS and see if the LPT1 settings had been changed. Try to load the default setting.

4. Have you tried using another parallel cable? Or maybe, there's a defect in the parallel interface of the motherboard if all else fail.

These are just suggestions you could look into.

Good luck! :)

Are they printing from an accounting software hence the monthly statements?

1. Do they have another computer with that same software in which you can install that printer and test/observe if it produces the same result? If it does, then it must be the printer. If there's an additional memory installed in the printer try to see if you can remove it and clean it. Maybe there's a defect in the memory.

No

2. If it prints all pages fine then the problem is with the other computer. You said that it was working fine before so I'll assume it could be the OS. You already said that you've tried re-installing the printer/driver again. Given the situation, as a last resort, I'd do a fresh install of the OS (if possible) or install it to another HDD (again, if possible) to isolate if the problem lies in the OS. I know it's time consuming but it's what I usually do given the situation if I really want to isolate the problem.

not possible... have a clone disk I can try(forgot about it)

3. Looking at the manual I've searched, I see that the printer is using a parallel interface. I would also check the BIOS and see if the LPT1 settings had been changed. Try to load the default setting.

checked all

4. Have you tried using another parallel cable? Or maybe, there's a defect in the parallel interface of the motherboard if all else fail.

will try new cable

These are just suggestions you could look into.

Good luck! :)

thanks

What format? xls(x), doc(x), rtf, pdf?

I assume that all the pages look nice and perfect on the computer, and they become messed up only on paper because of the printing?

If you send me a PM with a copy of the file, I'll take a look at it.

can't really do that; privacy issues....I'm gonna have to solve this the hard way, ostep at a time

Archived