Heat sink doubt

mara-

Hi everybody,

I just purchased for relatively low price Intel E8400 CPU @3GHz. Now, when I was installing it, I noticed that heat sink which comes with it is much smaller (thinner) compared to which I had on my E4500 @2.2Ghz, maybe even for half thinner. So, I just restored mine heat sink and fan, from E4500 on this new CPU. What do you think here? In my opinion, bigger sink should cool better, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for any inputs.

Cheers ;)

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean the height? I think it's indeed smaller with the e8400. Use the old heatsink instead. But first run some testing :P to see how the temps will evolve.

The IntelBurnTest is perfect for torturing the CPU :lol:

Yeah, height. What do you think about fans? To use from E4500 or from E8400 on E4500 sink?

Cheers ;)

Not much, sorry, and pics on the web not help. But they should be exchangeable. If I were you, I'd use the newest one, or I'd test them both to see how they do under heat :)

It would be nice if the heatsink you'll be using will have that copper-ish core, not aluminium... if possible. Some Intel heatsinks were solid aluminium, without any copper core.

Well, I looked at some pictures, and I think none of these two sinks have cooper-ish core. And, tell me, which thermal paste would you recommend?

DSC_3167.jpg

You can see the difference here. Bigger looks better to me.

Cheers ;)

I've always recommended Arctic MX, now it reached MX-4. I bought maybe 2 years ago a MX-3 syringe with 9 USD or so and I think it will be at least 6-7 years until I will finish it. I change the paste a few times a year, as my case is open and I need to properly clean the heatsink from dust.

PS: clearly, bigger heatsink-->bigger heat transfer surface. Sadly, what's new is not always better...

I've always recommended Arctic MX, now it reached MX-4. I bought maybe 2 years ago a MX-3 syringe with 9 USD or so and I think it will be at least 6-7 years until I will finish it. I change the paste a few times a year, as my case is open and I need to properly clean the heatsink from dust.

PS: clearly, bigger heatsink-->bigger heat transfer surface. Sadly, what's new is not always better...

Sadly... OK, thanks. I can get MX-4. How do you recommend to apply. I think I read somewhere about this paste that you just need to put it on a centre and it will spread when heat sink is on place.

Is your fan blowing out or in to the chip?

Well, not sure. It should blow on the chip. I don't think this can be controlled. I plugged fan into the motherboard and it's designed that you can't plug it in wrong.

Cheers ;)

Clean very well the Intel goop (if the CPU is not clean) with isopropylic alcohol or acetone etc. Apply a small drop in the centre of the CPU (5-7 mm in diameter or something). Mount fan (best done in one move, if you nail it :P), slightly turn to left-right. The pressure will be enough for the MX to spread correctly.

Video about MX-2 (MX-4 is much improved when it comes to spreading):

My pleasure. Let us know how it went and what the temps are, if you have time :)

It's not the size that counts it's the way you use it. :P

Jokes aside... Bigger is better as toyo said.

@HX1 The fan should always blow into the heat sink, in the direction of the chip.

@mara- You can control the direction which it blows, you only have to attach the fan upside-down. :rolleyes:

(Don't do it thou.) :P

And you can use any thermal paste, the best ones contain metal. Aluminium or silver, silver has better conductivity but more expensive. Silicone based paste are not so good...

A good thermal paste is something everyone should have in their system. MX-4 is a good paste and I recommend it as well. :dance2:

• Administrator

My P4 had that big heatsink. And i5 has this smaller one. One thing I noticed, the smaller (i5) heatsink has copper below, the part that touches the CPU, on the other hand, the big (P4) one didn't. I dunno if copper helps.

I believe it blows the air away.

Not that I can test it anymore. Using heatpipe based Cooler Master Hyper TX-3 now. I don't have a quite environment here and there's a problem in the case hence it's buzzing. Otherwise TX-3 is very very quite. I remember you asking once mara-. :)

@toyo

I'll post my temps after I get this paste.

@DKT27

Yeah, one step at the time. I'll probably get myself better CPU cooler.

@Pedrito

Thanks for the input.

Cheers ;)

Well the reason I asked this was. I was thinking about the physics/science in use between the two... and they don't all blow in.. I have an old HP system, ( as an example ).. that has one intake fan ( large ) on the back of the box.. in which it sets in a mount.. then you clip on a channel... ( this is old tech but I have seen it in use in other places.. ) This channel or duct makes a 45 degree turn and lines up right on top of the heat sink and fan for the cpu.. with about a 1/2 - 1/4" of space in between.. NOW I tried this two ways because I was unsure of how this actually worked.. and kept noticing how hot the motherboard was.. which also had something to do with it overheating... The fan had been taken off before and cleaned.. it can be mounted in either direction...so looking closer at it.. I flipped the fan ( small ) over.. people say I am crazy.. :P this blew or pulled air off the heat sink.. and did not blow out onto the rest of the board with the aid of the fresh air.. from the duct.. NO.. instead ... because of the size differences and the way it was working... The fan circulated cool air.. and kept the air cooled pulling in the cool air which was getting past the sides f the fan.. on the out side.. then the fan blowing back into the duct.. was pulled in at the bottom of the heat sink.. cool at that point.. then pulled over the surface of the heat sink to be recooled again... Now this did not only help just stabilize the system and make it run cooler.. it also helped keep the temperature inside the box a little lower.. and the rest of the board did not remain hot.. and the air coming out of the duct that escaped or got past it also remained cool..Maybe it was a coincidence or accident viable because of fan speed and rpm's but it worked that way.. not for sure if it was even designed to work that way.. though it could be different from person to person.. THIS case or method could depend on the size of the heatsink as well..

But anyway that is why I asked...usually I would go with the parts that came with it.. being that temperature can vary from chip to chip.. so on.. blah blah.. but I also think I would test with those considerations in mind as well as to how and which one worked the best..

Anyway response is a little late but.. :P

It's not late at all. I appreciate your opinion. I'm thinking that they made heat sink smaller because of 45nm technology which should be cooler then 65nm I had. And this sink might come at handy, because I had my E4500 @2.20 Ghz overclocked to 2.60Ghz and temp never went over 60C. So, when I get this thermal paste, I'll see to overclock this, E8400, to 3.40Ghz or even to 3.60Ghz.

Cheers ;)

You could do a 3.5 GHz on stock cooler if it's not a very hot ambient. Core 2 Duo were the shit for their time...

But if you add a aftermarket cheepo cooler, you could go 4 GHz pretty easy. Used to be a cool number. Now every Sandy Bridge does 4 GHz, it doesn't look that impressive any more :s

Why do you think Core 2 Duo is so bad? Anyway, I couldn't afford new motherboard that would support for example i5, then comes DDR3. I could only keep my GPU and HDD's.

Cheers ;)

I have a Core2Duo myself, a E7200 I keep at 3.16 GHz usually. The Nehalem and Sandy are just in another class, even the dual-core designs. Yes you can do mostly everything you need on a Core2Duo, but latest games need a quad... just try one if you can with your 460, see the framerate going up radically... and yeah, today's computers are judged on their gaming ability :P When you can't play any more, you need another...

Gone are the days when games needed just a fast dual core... and gone are the days when 3 GHz was fast...

AlienForce1

And, tell me, which thermal paste would you recommend?

I knew that the best is arctic silver 5 - correct me if I`m wrong .

Here is a review side-by-side MX4 vs AS5 and look at the results :

w0o2v.jpg

toyo Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Look at their site that MX-4 has ``Limited Warranty 6 years``

PS : Here is an extensive review 80 Thermal Pastes Tested

Well, I already got MX-4. Silver 5 is not available here. Didn't apply it yet, will do soon.

Cheers ;)

Late reply but the reason the fan is smaller is because the E8400 is a 45nm CPU that is more energy efficient than the E4500 which is 65nm cpu and runs hotter.

I would always recommend using the larger heatsink but do note that if you intend to use the older E4500 cpu then you will be left with a smaller heatsink that is not able to cool the cpu enough and it would force clock throttling and make the cpu always run at a slower speed.

Arctic Cooling MX-2, MX-3, MX-4 is the best to use, there is no curing time and they are not electrically conductive.

The actual CPU chip under the metal casing is dead center so yes all you really need to do is put a dot of paste in the middle of the metal case of the cpu and install the heatsink. Note that this is true even for multicore CPU, some people think that quad core CPUs have 4 chips under the metal casing and they do all kinds of shit when it comes to putting thermal paste. All the cores of multicore cpu are on a single die that is in the middle of the pcb. The only minor exceptions are for the very old Pentium-D which is 2 separate chips under the metal case, and for first generation Core i-series that have the built-in GPU which is also a separate chip. In the case of a first gen Core i-series the cpu and gpu dies are close together in the middle so just put a bigger dot of thermal paste to cover a larger radius. I have not had the time to check the design of the 2nd gen Core i-series but I think if anything they would probably merge the cpu and gpu on a single die in the middle so that won't affect thermal paste placement.

• Administrator

@Leet: As I've mentioned before, Arctic Cooling is not available in India, so suppose if I get a thermal paste in future, what other brand do you recommend?

@Leet: As I've mentioned before, Arctic Cooling is not available in India, so suppose if I get a thermal paste in future, what other brand do you recommend?

Better if you list what brands you can get and then we make a choice based on your available options. I always prefer non-electrically conductive ones without lengthy curing times though. It makes it safer and easier to use them for not only desktop cpu but also for laptop cpu, northbridges etc. that come without the metal casing around them.

• Administrator

Well looking at it again, my options are really really limited. :doh: :(

I guess Cooler Master is the only thing I can get at current moment. But some hints that, that would change in a year. :)

Archived