New to Winamp

SliverSamuel

SliverSamuel

In the past, i have been using itunes to compress music to mp3 at 128kps, but i switched to Winamp, as my friends had told me it is better than itunes. After switching, i realized that is is true, but i could not find the option for compressing a 164kps music to a mp3, 128kps bitrate for my mp3 player. Can anyone help??? :D :D

• Replies 19
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the diskwriter one only ouputs to wav

there is also the LAME output plugin, but that has a tendency to hang

SliverSamuel

There is all those Hz choices for those compressors 8000Hz, 11025Hz, 12000Hz, 16000Hz, 22050Hz, 24000Hz, 32000Hz, or 48000Hz? :thumbsup:

44100Hz would be my choice, or whatever the originals are

as far a batch, yeah make sure you have loop and shuffle disabled, set your output folder, it will do all the files in the playlist.

don't forget to switch it back to directsound output when youre done.

BTW it's kinda cpu intensive when converting so you may want to stop other tasks while converting

i just wanna note, you can find the original frequency range (or Khz/Hz) of the original by the display on the main winamp panel (44Khz = 44100Hz). or by right clicking the file in the playlist and looking at it's details, it'll be listed as Hz in there :thumbsup:

SliverSamuel

So should i use 48000Hz? btw, how long does a coversion take for a music 3min long?

So should i use 48000Hz?

thats entirely up to you, as long as your player supports it.

i would use what the original is, most mp3s are 44100Hz though, that i've looked at the details anyway...

btw, how long does a coversion take for a music 3min long?

That depends on your cpu, but i just did a 3:19 one in under 20 seconds

EDIT: i'll give you a walk through in an attempt to answer any questions you might have:

create a new folder on your desktop called "converted" or whatever

in winamp, with it stopped, and loop and shuffle disabled, press [ctrl]-[p]

then navigate down to output plugin and select out_mp3.dll

click on the configure button at the bottom and select your new output folder from the directory tree

select OK

then in the format select "128kBit/s 44,100 Hz CBR stereo

select OK, close the configure window

put all the files you want to convert into the playlist, then double click the first one to start converting

when it's done hit [ctrl]-[p] and switch back to the directsound output plugin

good luck

SliverSamuel

Oh i see, but is there any "free" mp3 converter/compresser that is solely used for converting/compressing? It might be a bit easy to use, that's all. :P

no he means a converter, but it seems FreeRIP does do that

# Converts existing audio files from WAV/MP3/OGG to MP3, WAV and OGG Vorbis format, and let you change their properties (stereo<->mono, bitrate,...)

dBpowerAMP also has a converter that includes Windows Explorer Integration - "right click>Convert To" and it's FREE

but once you know how, winamp is the shizzle (imnsho)

SliverSamuel

Thanks, Vargas! :D

Guest tensegg

dbpoweramp does a far better job than winamp, imo, I would def use it. Any Winamp rips or conversions I've done have been pretty poor quality wise. Also if you can, use a higher bitrate than 128, 128 is pretty damn poor, and you've virtually lost half of the recording with it, fine if you dont mind that empty tin can sound, but no good otherwise.. Try for at least 192. space permitting of course. :D

EDIT: oh yeah, 44100Hz is what you want. I would ignore the other options.

i personally just use LAME for en/re-coding :D

a good LAME VBR command line for use on CD rips (only works with PCM/WAV inputs)...

lame --replaygain-accurate --v -V 2 -q 0 --vbr-new -b 32 -B 320 --resample 44 *.wav

for mp3 recodes use this...

lame --v -V 2 -q 0 --vbr-new -b 32 -B --resample *.wav

a good tip for lame, use batch files (.BAT), saves having to cd all the way to the folder in the command box. also, if you use EAC for CDs you can just add the parameters from above to the 'additional parameters' box of the encoder/compresser selection dialog...nice and simple :P

won't work with other formats tho, since lame only supports WAV & MPEG inputs. so you'll still need to use winamp or something...

SliverSamuel
dbpoweramp does a far better job than winamp, imo, I would def use it.  Any Winamp rips or conversions I've done have been pretty poor quality wise.    Also if you can, use a higher bitrate than 128, 128 is pretty damn poor, and you've virtually lost half of the recording with it, fine if you dont mind that empty tin can sound, but no good otherwise..  Try for at least 192. space permitting of course. :P

EDIT: oh yeah, 44100Hz is what you want. I would ignore the other options.

Erm... the recommended speed for a MP3 player (Creative etc.) is 128kps stereo, the sound is darn good, and ur battery life will last longer. :D

Archived