Which File compression/decompression software you use?

zeon22

159 members have voted

1. 1. Which File compression/decompression software you use?

• 7-Zip
    • ALZip
    • BitZipper
    • ExtractNow
    • Free RAR Extract Frog
    • IZArc
    • KGB Archiver
    • PeaZip
    • PowerArchiver
    • PowerZip
    • UltimateZip
    • Universal Extractor
    • Win7z
    • WinAce
    • WinArchiver
    • WinRar
    • WinZip
    • ZipGenius
    • use windows inbuilt zip utility/don't prefer any other
    • Other(please specify)

• Replies 51
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. And looks like everyone else uses the same applications! :P

I also used some command-line utilities back in the day, like arj, ace, arc, lha, I don't even know now if all these names are correct :P

Time flows so quickly :)

• Administrator

Same WinRAR and 7-Zip.

PowerArchiver is powerful too. But waiting for final to use it more.

I used WinRAR in the past, now I just use 7zip since it can do just about anything WinRAR can do and it is free.

Thanks. :D

I have all three winrar, 7zip and winzip installed. I pretty much use winrar 95% of the time. Winzip is good for compressing JPEGs. Their new zipx format uses special compression when it detects images and can compress better than the others.

In my opinion, WinRAR is the best one you can get out there ^_^.

Captain Blood

I use 7-zip and winrar. But PowerArchiver too because it claims highest decompression speed. Although I never benchmarked against the other two.

I also used some command-line utilities back in the day, like arj, ace, arc, lha, I don't even know now if all these names are correct :P

Time flows so quickly :)

You are talking like my grandpa(well sort of) :pope:

:hehe:

I use WinRAR and WinMount... WinMount is quite useful since it is able to mount ZIP and RAR files without extract them first. It is also introduced its own archive type named MOU which the developer says "MOU is a highly and fastly compressed format, it can be mounted to virtual disk without decompressing, all actions are taken in a virtual path, protect hard disk, save space."

I used to use UHARC using WinUHA in few years ago, UHARC gives very good compression ratio (I think it was the best), but now 7z and RAR are the only good archives type around nowadays...

Oh, I almost forgot that I also used Universal Extractor too, this program is quite useful to extract MSI or "install EXE" files type...

I use WinRar as my primary arhive viewing software, and WinZip for every other format that WinRar doesn't support.

On the other hand, when I create archives, I always use 7-Zip and LZMA2 compression algorithm.

As for images, UltraISO all the way.

Just like Toyo, I often use ARJ back then, especially when splitting to multiple 1.44MB floppy disks :P. Now, WinRar and 7-Zip.

Yup, arj was for a while synonymous with archiving; I'll always be nostalgic for these first steps in computing, glad I lived through those years :)

Archived