ESET problem with a DOC

ns870152

Please help me, my CPU usage is at 100% (ESET service: ekrn.exe 100%) when opening this word document:

http://www.mediafire.com/
sharecode: ?2nn5bv32zbz97d4

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Views 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all for the rest of you .. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THAT FILE..

Second.. The first ignorant thing about this document is that it is almost 2 MB in size.. which is absolutely ridiculous.. unless your doing a PDF.. if it is images still WAY too big.. if not .. the code and characters contained inside trigger the scanning and advanced heuristics of ESET in a way that it continues to scan the contents as soon as your system comes across the files.. Possible code or text structure inside this document is such that can and will create a memory leak in the protection in question or inhibits its proper function.. Keep in mind this could simply be a FLUKE .. or even a bug in ESET.. BUT this usually isn't something you want to keep playing around with or leave yourself open to.. If your trying to not create a problem..

To stop it you have to shred all instances of the file on your system and reboot your system which is characteristic of the desired triggered activity of several infections out there..

MY ADVICE.. shred it.. move on.. get another copy or notify the owner/creator of the document's incompatibility and possible infection... and it may not necessarily be nothing more than an attempt to put the necessary exploit code into Memory.. so it can do its dirty work.. You never know.. and something like this should be ignored and eradicated.. especially if those responsible cannot find a more efficient and trouble-free method of doing whatever it is this document is supposed to be about or do.. I have run across this issue with a few files in the past.. usually not a good sign.. but is a sign that something is definitely wrong somewhere.. if not simple being a corrupt file.. with way too much in the way of contents..

Thank you very much. How can I re-save as a normal word document, please ?

Install Word in a Virtual Machine, then open this document and enable editing/saving (the doc opens in Protected Mode since it's considered dangerous by Word). You don't need to install a antivirus in the VM. Save your file as a text only version, and close the VM without saving or return to a safe snapshot.

thank you :wub: . Let me try...

I tried opening with Windows Live Hotmail Skydrive Cloud Based Office and it sayd :

The document you are trying to view cannot be opened as it may contain malicious content. You can try to open this document in Microsoft Word.

Error Id: cf221b31-e115-479c-a5be-2d66cd646af6, 20110708142210

Microsoft essentials didn't say it's a threat and Google online doc doesn't allow to upload larger than 1mb unfortunately.

Can't you disable internet to still be protected from internet attacks and then disable virus protection and then try?

Where did you got such weird file? Can't re-do-it in different format?

Can't you disable internet to still be protected from internet attacks and then disable virus protection and then try?

That's a pretty bad advice; if malicious and executed out of Protected Mode/without AV, the file will run some exploit code that will have unknown consequences on the OS. After reconnection to the web, that resident code could connect to whatever server and download even more crap and the PC would soon turn in some zombie-bot spamming machine or worse. Just keep suspect code out of your main OS, there's no playing with this stuff, even if you escape a few times, you'll get burned in the end.

I openned it, then scanned with malwarebytes and hitman pro, my system was clean

dang people why you still messing around with a possible nasty. its like giong to bed with a person that just gotten over a std

Archived