NewsLeecher 3.9 Beta 10

Marik

NewsLeecher.gifNewsLeecher is a tool made for fetching and managing articles from the Usenet. It downloads Usenet articles in a snap, and uses it's inline engine to assemble and decode all the downloads. The powerful featureset and state-of-the-art user interface makes it an application "you simply can't live without" if you are a serious Usenet user.

Thanks to Shought for the update.

Download

• Replies 9
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I noticed this earlier as well. I'm guessing they're looking to release 3.9 Final before Christmas comes up.

I'm still using 3.8 Final and some of the new changes and additions look amazing.

yeah same here can't wait for it's final non-beta release :P

Its the Azurues of the newsreaders - I'll pass.

What do you use out of interest? The only other capable client I'd go with aside from NewsLeecher is Alt.Binz.

Its the Azurues of the newsreaders - I'll pass.

What do you use out of interest? The only other capable client I'd go with aside from NewsLeecher is Alt.Binz.

NL 3.8 final was very stable and okay. (poor vista 64 user) i found that the winrar file only work with 3.8 final and not the 3.9 beta 9 addon. also had to keep the uac (i think thats the right word) off to get the expiration date to work right with the winrar.

now with 3.9 final is a good stable one will it be compatable to the scribe newsgroups and gotten headers of 3.8 final?

GrabIt.

I would say 'capable' is quite contradictory due to the technicalities of simply downloading the .rar files and simply unpacking them. Anything else in a client is novetly. Hense µTorrent.

I gather NewsLeecher might 'check' files ect yet 99.9% of the time a person doesn't need to due to files with a premium UseNet service being fine.

...Each to their own, though.

Well IMO, GrabIt was a wonderful client a couple of years ago... but due to the fact that it's no longer being developed, it still has some serious flaws in the application with both downloading binaries AND headers it's really not worth promoting any further.

In all honesty there are better clients available, and that does include FREE ones. As I mentioned earlier, Alt.Binz is free and it more than puts GrabIt in the shade when it comes to resources used, problems downloading and overall functionality.

When I originally wrote the Newsgroup guide over 2 years ago, I was using GrabIt... and even went so far as to include it (with screenshots) and giving information on setup etc... However I've tried quite a few now, and I'm sticking by my guns by saying that GrabIt is obsolete. There is no support anymore, the developer just up and left. Even people that were close to him on the forums didn't know why he suddenly stopped because he hadn't told them. He refused to allow the program Open Source so that the development could continue, and it was only until May this year that 2 updates to the program were released. The first was severly crippled, while the second fixed some issues but left others untouched. It's been 6 months since then, and again... not a word as to what's been happening behind the scenes.

The NewsLeecher team have released a new Beta once a month, every month for as long as I can remember. If (and this has happened twice if I can recall) a Beta release has been found to be wanting, a fix normally gets released within a matter of days. The same can be said by the Alt.Binz crew.

I'm happy that you find GrabIt a capable NewsReader, but without regular updates... it's just sinking deeper and deeper into the mud. There are dozens of bugs within the software, some of them pretty serious. Without these getting fixed, it's no wonder there are other clients out there (both paid and unpaid) which are getting the recommendations they truly deserve.

On a last note, if you do not want to try NewsLeecher... definately give Alt.Binz a spin and let me know what you think of it. Obviously, you'll need to get used to it for a little while... but if you do try it out, come back to me in a week and let me know how you found it.

Thanks for the update 1+1=FG!

D/L beta11

I get this for a changelog:

* Enabled the Repair'n'Extract option which allows permanently deletion of used set files, when the set has been extracted. The option can be turned on from the 'Setup -> Repair'n' Extract Tab'

* Further optimized the code used for fetching headers. Uses a bit less CPU and disk resources now

* Fixed bug introduced in the previous beta, where Repair'n' Extract was unable to extract sets if the 'Time & Date Prefix Subfolder' option was turned on

* Fixed bug where Repair'n'Extract would go into a loop if all the files in a Repair'n'Extract set were triggered by the user customizable ignore filter

* Fixed bug where Repair'n'Extract would hang if it tried to unpack a fileset to a folder containing more than 256 characters

* Fixed bug introduced in v3.9 beta 6, where article sizes and parts count would be exagerated in the articles listview, if headers were fetched from more than a single server

* Fixed bug where the 'z' character could not be used in 'tray restore' security passwords

* Fixed bug where the splash screen would get stuck under certain circumstances

* (re)Fixed bug where NewsLeecher would always steal window focus when importing NZB files, even if setup not to do so

* The 'Notify on new Release' option didn't work in the last few betas. This has been fixed

* Removed the 'Verify' option from the Repair'n'Extract toolbar. Verification will now always be performed, if the Repair'n'Extract feature is enable

Archived