Need help - problem with Card Reader

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I've got a problem with a card reader (an Alcor Micro USB card reader according to Driver Genius): I'm having "This device can't start (code 10.)" error message. So I did uninstall every driver and cleaned up registry, restarted the computer, installed drivers, and the problem follows. Any solution?

AQPmy.png

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure you have the right drivers?

This might be rather difficult to troubleshoot :(

How about leaving Windows to install a generic driver and not mess with Driver Genius, as it can complicate the situation for the worse.

If I let windows drivers, I got a yellow triangle with an "!" on Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader display at Devices administrator.

Alcor Micro, Corp. is IC/Semiconductor company, and we only sell IC components to OEM manufacture customers. All warranty & support issues are provided directly to OEM/manufacturer customers of Alcor Micro. End users of products incorporating Alcor IC's & components into a finished product with any support or technical questions about how to use the product should contact the Product mfg directly or the retail location where they bought the end product. Alcor Micro does not directly provide end-user/retail customer support.

That means that your device must have another name ie. is manufactured for example by Hewlett Packard with Alcor IC --> you need to find the OEM that produced it, and search/ask for drivers.

It don't has any name on it. Nothing to indentify the vendor.

LeetPirate

These card readers don't work properly unless you use the driver from the computer vendor. The card reader manufacturers don't release any drivers so you have to get them from the computer vendor. So for example if it's a dell pc then go to dell support page and download the driver for your model. Never install driver updates for the card reader from windows update, that almost always makes it stop working correctly.

This is one a friend of mine gifted me a day I did work in his market. It is connected to the mobo.

Thank you. But those drivers did not work.

Very annoying... You said that it is "connected to the mobo". What mobo? I don't really get it.

Got it :) Post a picture of the device or two, out of curiosity ?

Here you are

OUHWK.jpg

(YES! It is a bit dusty and messy in there :lmao: )

mp89W.jpg

(YES! There's a floppy in there [just for testing purpouses :lol: ])

The card reader cable is down the SATA one (is that black thin)

LeetPirate

I think the cable is inserted wrong sided, the side with the empty pin holes is most often on the right not the left. Try taking it out, spin 180 degrees, then reinsert.

Archived