windows media player

myidisbb

i updates my windows media player to 9 about a year ago. i have the latest mega codex. there are some wmv/wma files and one avi (video clip) that comes up mess up colorfully viewing. is this because it was done in wmp 10 encoding? i tested those files on another computer with an older mega codex and wmp 8 on it. they where totally junk. also tested them on my kids computer that has wmp 10 and they show up fine.

im pretty sure i never had this problem before that i can remember. i just d/l this files. i look at other files on my 2 internal eide h/ds and found 3 wmv files that did that too, 2 that is i used mp classic it work fine.

i have looked and thought of everything i can with this. im tkaing its a wmp10 encoding thing then.

have others had such problems? and is there anything i need to watch out or change in wmp10 if i install it? do you prefer wmp9 or 10? and would wmp10 fix some of those drm updates that a file asks for?

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg, i didn't know that was still in XP thanx. i loved my win98 media player (nice and simple) :lol:

bsplayer is another good alternative btw :D

omg, i didn't know that was still in XP thanx.

then i guess it's safe to assume you didn't know XP also has v5.1 (MPLAY32.EXE)

:D

decide to say !@#$ and just update to wmp10 on this computer. most of the wmv/wma was showing up mess up. and on the comptuer with wmp8 also but could use classic to see it. i dont know want cause it. oh well. everything is fine now.

is there anything i need to be aware, shut off or fix in wmp10? or crack? like wmp8 with mp3 crack.

since i don't have it installed i can't tell if it's an option or where to disable it BUT...

you should disable "update media from the net" as that edits the ID3 tags and changes files hash and may even let MS delete/disable your files (read the EULA)

since i don't have it installed i can't tell if it's an option or where to disable it BUT...

you should disable "update media from the net" as that edits the ID3 tags and changes files hash and may even let MS delete/disable your files (read the EULA)

i got the "send unique playe ID" off. i remember reading tha tyou could 0000zero it out and then it just send a blank ID on some hack/tweat

"update media from the net" is that the same as "update music files by retrieving media infom from the internet"?

"retrieve additional information from the internet" is off.

i got the "download codecs automatically" off

"update media from the net"  is that the same as "update music files by retrieving media infom from the internet"?

that sounds like the one

that sounds like the one

microsoft keeps giving us nicer and more interesting stuff that we of course like and then find out its got newer and badder drm and other crap. then if we dont bite we are force too later on to install or no more security patches.

Archived