DKT27

• Administrator

@KotaXor: (Really) Glad to know that it's fixed. One more question, do you use K-Lite too? If yes, 32bit + 64bit? Just need it to confirm, as I'm considering to report the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never really paid attention to FPS. But I can tell you that CoreAVC + DXVA2 feels faster than libavcodec.

• Replies 33
  • Views 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never really paid attention to FPS. But I can tell you that CoreAVC + DXVA2 feels faster than libavcodec.

What's DXVA2 and what do you mean 'feels faster than libavcodec'? I'm just new to the codec thingy and don't understand much about them. I'd be grateful if you could help me out :)

• Administrator

What's DXVA2 and what do you mean 'feels faster than libavcodec'? I'm just new to the codec thingy and don't understand much about them. I'd be grateful if you could help me out :)

DXVA. Basically, if you enable/use DXVA (DXVA2 if your hardware supports it) of codecs, then all the decoding is done on on GPU (graphics processing unit - the processor on graphics card). Hence CPU is used next to none and all the decoding is done in GPU level, hence less slow downs. That's not it, you don't need an expensive card or CPU to do that, any modern day card will be able to do it efficiently. Not every codec runs on DXVA, but mp4 and mkv containers do.

Or if you have nVidia graphics card, you can even use CUDA (if the codec supports it). It's similar to DXVA, but I believe CUDA acceleration should be faster.

If you use CoreAVC than see the 4th pic on the first post to enable DXVA or CUDA.

Libavcodec is the default h.264 decoder in FFDShow.

DXVA. Basically, if you enable/use DXVA (DXVA2 if your hardware supports it) of codecs, then all the decoding is done on the hardware level and on GPU (graphics processing unit - the processor on graphics card). Hence CPU is used next to none and all the decoding is done in GPU level, hence less slow downs. That's not it, you don't need an expensive card or CPU to do that, any modern day card will be able to do it efficiently. Not every codec runs on DXVA, but mp4 and mkv containers do.

Or if you have nVidia graphics card, you can even use CUDA (if the codec supports it). It's similar to DXVA, but I believe CUDA acceleration should be faster.

If you use CoreAVC than see the 4th pic on the first post to enable DXVA or CUDA.

Libavcodec is the default h.264 decoder in FFDShow.

I knew what DXVA is but I didn't know what you meant by DXVA2 but thanks for the clarification. Sadly I don't possess a nVIdia card, so no CUDA for me. I don't use CoreAVC because it doesn't have much picture enhancement features as the K-Lite codec. I installed it long ago, but it weren't of much use to me. It'd be amazing if FFDShow and DXVA could be run simultaneously as on CUDA with CoreAVC.

• Administrator

I knew what DXVA is but I didn't know what you meant by DXVA2 but thanks for the clarification. Sadly I don't possess a nVIdia card, so no CUDA for me. I don't use CoreAVC because it doesn't have much picture enhancement features as the K-Lite codec. I installed it long ago, but it weren't of much use to me. It'd be amazing if FFDShow and DXVA could be run simultaneously as on CUDA with CoreAVC.

I see. DXVA2 is just enhanced version. Thing about CoreAVC is that it's already adjusted to give you the best picture + it's the fastest software decoder out there.

Even I don't have nVidia card, I have AMD, so I use DXVA. ;)

FFDShow does have DXVA version. It's always installed when you install K-Lite. Just disable H.264 in normal FFDShow video, then go in start menu, K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > FFDShow DXVA Video Decoder > Hardware Acceleration > DXVA codecs enabled > check H264. But the problem is same, not so many options in DXVA version. Honestly I don't think there's any DXVA based decoder is going to have many options.

I see. DXVA2 is just enhanced version. Thing about CoreAVC is that it's already adjusted to give you the best picture + it's the fastest software decoder out there.

Even I don't have nVidia card, I have AMD, so I use DXVA. ;)

FFDShow does have DXVA version. It's always installed when you install K-Lite. Just disable H.264 in normal FFDShow video, then go in start menu, K-Lite Codec Pack > Configuration > FFDShow DXVA Video Decoder > Hardware Acceleration > DXVA codecs enabled > check H264. But the problem is same, not so many options in DXVA version. Honestly I don't think there's any DXVA based decoder is going to have many options.

What features are unavailable when using simultaneously with FFDShow? I only use DXVA for shaders.

• Administrator

What features are unavailable when using simultaneously with FFDShow? I only use DXVA for shaders.

You cannot use FFDShow DXVA with FFDShow video normal, only one is used. DXVA version offers almost no options, blur, sharpen, resize, and many like that aren't available.

@KotaXor: (Really) Glad to know that it's fixed. One more question, do you use K-Lite too? If yes, 32bit + 64bit? Just need it to confirm, as I'm considering to report the problem. .

LOL...yes and Both

• Administrator

I see. Well, that means the problem is same as mine. CoreAVC is claiming that from version 2.x, they have stopped touching thumbnails and stopped Haali from doing so too. And says that it's the other codecs on the system that's messing up with CoreAVC and causing problems. They are saying this from a time now about them releasing a tool to solve this problem.

Archived