Repairing Windows

elohelomg

Well, after scanning the computer for viruses (using a bootusb with avira), i restarted and hte computer began to crash. bsod, the 0x07b error message.

I tried using a restore cd to do a system restore back to an earlier day, but, that didn't work, and, i personally believe that one of the files I cleaned off was a necessary file. I was wondering, is there any cd that can repair windows (xp) system files? I know the repair disc can, but, quite honestly, i dont feel like looking around for it, and I use to have a boot cd that did just that, but cant seem to find that either.

Please help eh? <3 lol

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF for example you have killed a driver... you will more than likely have to do a complete reinstall.. SUX HORRIBLY.. and I would never give this advise except when its necessary.. any sys file or entry in the registry is basically unrepairable.. usually when t is a specific third party driver or file.. The registry area which has to be modified is not accessible by boot disc either while ALL other areas are.. which is supposed to be a protection.. The only way to do this is if you have a backup of those registry files.. and attempt a replacement o them .. Possibly.. the same type error I got awhile back when after trying everything I could.. I had to reinstall.. You can try to get more info on the BSOD error codes but thats probably going to be about it.. though XP is more fragile in some areas and more accessible to being fixed in a few others.. it simply will depend..

You can use a boot disc to try and run sfc scannow.. if its a system file.. and even then it may not work.. many considerations in this area that don't just hit you in face head on..

Can you boot into safe mode? Windows instalation disk can repair system files....when boot xp install cd at first screen dont press R (you dont wont to run recovery console) pres enter to setup windows xp,next is license agreement(F8) and now select winxp instalation and press R...if i remember this is repair xp installation procedure,maybe i miss something...

Well, i ended up repairing it via microsofts cd and now its wanting me to activate it. Blahr.

Any quick fixes on this?

probably becouse you use antiwpa before....why not and now :rolleyes:

yea, i forgot the name. xD

Downloaded it, fired it up, and BAM. magic. lol thanks

Uhmm..the installation disc will repair most problems... :huh: ( Meaning there is an option to repair instead of install....) Windows XP.. usually not so easy..

The 'recovery' disk and the installation disk are the same re: repairing W7 afaik. I haven't used windows system restore since XP. It's slow, not to mention how it can cause total havoc if it retains a backup thats somehow infected. A much much MUCH better alternative to sys restore is to use Acronis True Image. You can set it to do a full backup image of your boot drive followed by only 'incremental' backups which include only the changes from the previous backup image. The beauty of this is that you can schedule Acronis to do a daily backup by itself and during the backup session, you can go about your way doing whatever while the backup works it's magic in the back round with a 'less than normal' priority level...you can't even tell it's running unless you see the icon in the tray. And if needed you can convert an Acronis backup to a Windows backup with ease. With the PlusPack added, you can even restore to a totally different PC if needed! Tho there are several image backup apps around, Acronis is a tried and true solution used for years in business and enterprise environments. To sum it up, I would not (and do not) run a PC without it, full stop.

Oh...forgot to mention, unlike Windows, Acronis uses decent and adjustable compression to keep backup sizes down. You can also password protect and/or use AES 128 or 256 bit encryption to protect your data...for all backups from drive images to file/folder archives. In a nutshell Acronis = :notworthy:

Archived