ESET Smart Security Or Antivirus?

boogie

I've been wondering lately, what's the difference between the 2? all I know is that SS has firewall, anti-spyware and spam module along with the AV.

Since I didn't tried the Antivirus yet, care to lighten me up a bit about the 2?

oh and btw, Im a moderate gamer, I surf the net while im playing(think of afk mode xD) and doing some mp3's and of course leeching and seeding torrents.

Can you guys recommend me between the 2? My friends say that I really don't need a firewall, but sometimes I get some trojan from time to time, and lastly, im in a network with lost of computers, 50-60 units, so any advice are welcome :).

Thanks in advance and cheers, ;)

• Replies 16
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's really no difference between the antivirus that eset smart security has and the one the standard eset nod32 antivirus has...

...only that smart security has:

Anvi-Virus

Personal Firewall

AntiSpam

AntiSpyware

so imo it's better to go with smart security if protection is what you really want...and if your just looking for an anti-virus stick with the standard anti-virus version :)

i myself use ESET Antivirus +Windows Firewall :) ..windows firewall isn't bad at all and it also get's updates from microsoft.

If your behind a router then yes you're right, but if your not and you want to share files it is a big pile of crap!

Yes windowsXP firewall is crap (vista firewall is better btw) , if you have XP you should use sygate firewall. Still the best there is :welcome:

i myself use ESET Antivirus +Windows Firewall :D ..windows firewall isn't bad at all and it also get's updates from microsoft.

If your behind a router then yes you're right, but if your not and you want to share files it is a big pile of crap!

iam not behind a router therefore,i don't share files most of the time.and i think a good protection from trojans is all that one needs.

Windows Firewall is definitely utter crap.. I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall too atm, but I'm considering to switch to ESS when nsane's fix comes out.. :)

i myself use ESET Antivirus +Windows Firewall :thumbsup: ..windows firewall isn't bad at all and it also get's updates from microsoft.

erf :wacko:

Windows Firewall isn't very efficient (asking to user are too seldom !).

If you've got WinXP, i recommend you to use Kaspersky.Anti-Hacker.1.8.180 plus Nod32 as anti-virus plus Webroot SpySweeper tand you will be ready to go on Undergroud sex pages :welcome:

If you've got WinVista, i recommend you to use Eset Smart security plus Webroot SpySweepe.

GL :P

Okay, to wipe clean some misunderstandings:

1: Windows (XP) Firewall is utter crap noone should even dare to use. Just disable that service imho.

2: Windows (Vista) Firewall is not a whole lot better, for more details: google is your friend.

3: If you are behind a router that has a firewall enabled you *do not* need a extra firewall on your PC. Just a waste of resources.

Knowing this, I'd only go for the SS if you do not have an router.

3: If you are behind a router that has a firewall enabled you *do not* need a extra firewall on your PC. Just a waste of resources.

Sorry, but you DO!

Outbond traffic, appz phoning home....

Sorry, but you DO!

Outbond traffic, appz phoning home....

Well, you can always choose to use the HOSTS for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info, we are all using crack versions, right? Then use separate firewall and AV, in case one of them does not update or get banned, you still at least have the other one working for you! I use Outpost firewall and nod32 v2.7, in case nod32 does not update, firewall still protecting, so I am still quite safe!

If you use a paid for version, then it is cheaper to use ESS, any problems, eset will help you to solve it!

:dance2: :D :dance2:

bearoninternet

I tried the suite first.

Uninstalled it lately because;

1. spamfilter doesnt support thunderbird :D

2. firewall slowed down msn & p2p (no tweak) :dance2:

3. resources

I am surprised to see that nod32 av now also demands quite some more mem (30 mb) than previous versions but i quess with 2 gb i'd should be able to live by that.

Tried kaspersky because lately there are some threads about nod latest security-issues.

Didnt work for me though; hung op my system and i am used to the interface of nod for all those years.

I am just curious what got better from nod 2.7, havent found that out yet. Anybody?

Dont mention the new interface, yes its easy, but the old one wasnt so bad..

I tried the suite first.

Uninstalled it lately because;

1. spamfilter doesnt support thunderbird :D

2. firewall slowed down msn & p2p (no tweak) :dance2:

3. resources

I am surprised to see that nod32 av now also demands quite some more mem (30 mb) than previous versions but i quess with 2 gb i'd should be able to live by that.

Tried kaspersky because lately there are some threads about nod latest security-issues.

Didnt work for me though; hung op my system and i am used to the interface of nod for all those years.

I am just curious what got better from nod 2.7, havent found that out yet. Anybody?

Dont mention the new interface, yes its easy, but the old one wasnt so bad..

It actually monitor your downloading, it will stop your downloading upon suspect "virus"! as such slightly more bandwidth is being use by Nod32 v3. But what is bandwidth considering the safety net by Nod32 v3. I would rather decide for myself what I want to download and not let an AV decide for me!

Archived