Software Removal Help

Ramrod

Im not to sure if i posted in the right place?

We had a program called Cybersitter installed on our computer because we have little kids in our house. Anyways It was a pretty crappy program and never seemed to work properly, so yesterday I went to go remove it. I logged into the menu on the program, and followed the uninstall procedure that you need to do in order to remove the program. It confirmed that it was removed, and then rebooted the machine. Now that its booted up, I have a world of problems.

- My computer, Control Panel, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, Registry Editor, All Internet and MSN are blocked. When you try to access them, an error message pops up claiming that I don’t have administrative rights, and that I need to contact my computer administrator.

- The computer takes 20 minutes from the time that you log in, to the time that the desktop fully loads.

- My TrendMicro Internet security has been blocked and disabled.

I have tried to reinstall the program in hopes to disable all the parental features and then uninstall the program. It appears to install correctly but never loads or is fully functional. I have tried Safe mode and the machine runs normally. Oh and I am logged into an Administrative account on XP. Is there a program that I can run that will force the removal of the Cybersitter program? Any help is greatly appreciated; at this time I feel reformatting is the only solution.

• Replies 2
  • Views 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id suggest Total Uninstall, later versions have an installed applications module that lets you uninstall unmonitored installations(in previous versions you have to monitor the installation with total uninstall for it to be able to uninstall proper).

Or/and you could install the offending software via Total Uninstalls installation routine, then let it uninstall it completely.

You could also use the installation log from TU to determine what registry entries, services etc thats been added during install, so you could if all else fails remove them manually.

However im guessing that kind of software includes some pretty nasty hooks and injections so a word of caution is called for with both manual or automated removal

Or contact the software makers and have them give you cleaning instructions.

;)

You should have an internal "Uninstall" function found on the "Tools" page, if you still have your 2nd installment. Also, they have email support. If all is not working, I suggest you clean the registry and then clean it by hand, deleting all keys that have cybersitter in them. This is a risky procedure if you are not sure of what are you doing so backup your data. There's other methods also, but try these 1st.

Archived