Memory Issue in Windows 7 x64

Tweety.Abd

Hello,

I've got 4 G.B. RAM on my laptop, but it's only showing 3.87 G.B. usable of the 4 G.B. I'm using Windows 7 x64 and I should be able to get all 4 G.B. right? I have a graphics card, but it has it's on own dedicated memory of 1 G.B. (Mobility HD 4650) I'm not sure why I'm being denied the total 4 G.B. I'd be really glad if anyone could help me about it.

Regards,

-Tag

• Replies 14
  • Views 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go into MSCONFIG/BOOT/ADVANCED OPTIONS/ and see what Max Memory is set on.

Probably your GPU is allowed to use that ram to save power and have more memory, some write that updating bios might allow to set the allocated size.

Microsoft describes it this way: "Hardware Reserved Memory that is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals".

There is an option in the bios to allow the full use of 4gig 8 gig or even higher...

EDIT

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Unfortunately, not in all cases. I know of a particular Gigabyte board when coupled with a Core i3 that absolutely will not give you the full 4GB no matter what you do, so there must be other cases too.

There is an option in the bios to allow the full use of 4gig 8 gig or even higher...

EDIT

Unfortunately, not in all cases. I know of a particular Gigabyte board when coupled with a Core i3 that absolutely will not give you the full 4GB no matter what you do, so there must be other cases too.

Yup its trial and error :-( - Must do research before you rush out and buy things.

EDIT

Thank you so much for your response. I don't think my laptop supports the memory re-mapping feature, so it doesn't work for me, but thanks for your help either ways :)

Go into MSCONFIG/BOOT/ADVANCED OPTIONS/ and see what Max Memory is set on.

It disabled, however if I enable it says "4096 M.B." but I haven't applied it yet.

Is your CPU Intel, possibly it allocated some memory for its integrated graphics?

<br />Is your CPU Intel, possibly it allocated some memory for its integrated graphics?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, my processor is from Intel Crop. but I have AMD Mobility Graphics Card, as I've mentioned before.

We don't know what you have inside the laptop but newer Intel CPU have tiny GPU integrated inside the processor, good to have when your dedicated get's broken. You need to try updating your bios if there's any newer one that would allow to change your GPU default settings. When you turn on your laptop you need to keep pressing F2 fast at the very beginning to see options. Some laptops don't have much options and best is to contact the manufacturer to make new bios if it's possible. Manufacturers should know what hardware is allowed to reserve ram.

We don't know what you have inside the laptop but newer Intel CPU have tiny GPU integrated inside the processor, good to have when your dedicated get's broken. You need to try updating your bios if there's any newer one that would allow to change your GPU default settings. When you turn on your laptop you need to keep pressing F2 fast at the very beginning to see options. Some laptops don't have much options and best is to contact the manufacturer to make new bios if it's possible. Manufacturers should know what hardware is allowed to reserve ram.

I have Intel's 1st generation i processor, so it does not have any integrated GPU. I'll try updating my BIOS, it doesn't offer much options though. Thanks for your response.

Google for "windows 7 x64 3.87 ram". It seems to be a issue for specific chipsets. A BIOS update might help.

This is off subject but while you are in msconfig allow all your processors to work. Just check number of processor and use the drop down button to click on how many processors you have. Also go ahead and use the memory amount shown as you maximum memory. Then go to your properties page and see what your usable memory is.

This is off subject but while you are in msconfig allow all your processors to work. Just check number of processor and use the drop down button to click on how many processors you have. Also go ahead and use the memory amount shown as you maximum memory. Then go to your properties page and see what your usable memory is.

I tried out your resolution, only that it made it reduced my memory more, but thanks for your help.

Archived