Lulzsec calls it quits, ends hacking spree after 50 days

toyo

Over the past 50 days Lulzsec has been drawing a lot of attention as they hacked many websites and released sensitive information to the Internet. In a posting today, Lulzsec said that they are stopping their antics and that the spree of hacking has come to an end.

In a posting on Pastebin, the group states that while they are ending the pillaging by Lulzsec, this does not mean the end of the their actions. Fundamentally, the group is a big supporter of the antisec (anti-security) movement as they state, "we truly believe in the AntiSec movement. We believe in it so strongly that we brought it back, much to the dismay of those looking for more anarchic lulz."

The individuals behind Lulzsec will most likely continue on individually under other names as they state that they are not tied to this identity. While this may be a bit of relief for Sony and the many other groups attacked by Lulzsec, they did manage to show the lack of security across many different corporations and government agencies.

While it is up for argument if the group is quitting because of increased pressure from the police or if they are ending on their own accord, as it stands now, the group has yet to be caught. One supposed member of the group was arrested but Lulzsec quickly shot that down by saying that he was only hosting the IRC channel and had no affiliation with the group.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Who will give us lulz now? :(

/s

Well, they justifiably hoped (in the PasteBin text) for the lulz they started to go on. Reading comments to LulzSec articles on some sites one can see they enraged many people, a few idiots even asked for death penalty (I bet they remained a few days without their precious online games and started having seizures).

It was interesting to watch while it lasted. I hope they'll manage to stay safe in the future and avoid the real "bad guys" out there...

From what I read earlier it seemed more like it was 'Under new management'. Either because they'd been arrested :P or being taken over by another group. Maybe they are calling themselves something else as their identities were posted all over the net.

If they don't carry on others will I expect. I just hope they do things for a good reason and not just to annoy innocent people. I mean Minecraft :angry: why? Because they can? Pointless. At least expose corrupt government and such.

The creepers will get them all ^_^

If they haven't been arrested, they will emerge yet again under a different name, or if they are smart, they will be less prideful and do things with more purpose and less randomness.

I think some of them just disappeared, and others are working (or just returned to) Anonymous now.

Archived