Set&forget security tool?

elohelomg

Is there any tool thats a sort of "set and go", that you can install, and it'll do everything for you? I would like to teach someone how to launch virus scans, but, they're computer illiterate, and, teaching them the "regular" way is near impossible.

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlienForce1

- kis 11.0.2.556 and (latest) kis 12.0.374 have the option in Settings -> Protection Center -> General Settings -> Select action automatically

(that`s the default option when you install it)

and for automatic scan - go to Settings -> Scan -> General Settings -> check the two options `Perform Iddle Scan` and `Perform regular rootkit scan` ;

- then go to Settings -> Scan -> General Settings -> Full Scan - here you can set Kaspersky to scan the computer `Every week` (click also `Run skipped tasks`)

- then go to Settings -> Scan -> General Settings -> Critical Areas Scan - here you can set Kaspersky to scan the comp. `At application startup`

- nod32 , Norton , BitDefender , avast! , AVG , Avira and I think all other modern Internet Security Suites also have options to set and forget (just look in the settings) .

(at least nod32, Norton and avast! I have used them and have these options)

I would like to teach someone how to launch virus scans, but, they're computer illiterate, and, teaching them the "regular" way is near impossible.

You can do yourself and your friend a big favor! ...Suggest them to buy a Mac... :P

AlienForce1

I would like to teach someone how to launch virus scans, but, they're computer illiterate, and, teaching them the "regular" way is near impossible.

You can do yourself and your friend a big favor! ...Suggest them to buy a Mac... :P

Following this line - you can also learn to use Linux ... :sneaky: ... you`re suggestion should be taken as a joke :P

( but I would stick with Windows - it`s easier to use... )

:lmao: :rofl: OMFG .. yeah.. right... :lmao: Really there is no substitute for true knowledge on these situations and what they may face..

Okay if you say .. set something up for them and go from there.. you still have to have the knowledge needed to be able to make decisions on some things.. especially with HIDS/HIPS and Firewalls.. So.. I would run through some basics with them on the different types of threats.. Show them how to use a search engine and look for them.. and ways for repair.. and the areas in which may be effected..They will overflow with questions at that point but it is one of those things where.. you need not sell the software but get them in loop on the only real way out here.. and that is to become informed and expand that knowledge with a way to find proper resources for it..

Personally I like ESET for this purpose as you can import most firewall exceptions and configurations.. two seconds and your done with a few small tweaks, really its important to teach them.. mainly though the different types of vulnerabilities.. how to properly read the protection and dialog windows.. and understand them.. and how to run the basic maintenance.. without those tasks... You might as well be asking for long drawn out issues in the future some of which they might not even understand..

I was able to help someone like this awhile back.. by using PeerBlock.. ESET, and some basic maintenance programs.. and teaching them some of the simple ways in which adware and spyware seems to make it into people' systems.. I also hooked them up with Hitman Pro... and made them promise me to explore the programs and learn how to use them.. to also use a search engine to assist them with questions they have and to always look in several places before accepting an answer and what sources to stay away from.. They haven't had a problem since.. not one infection... or problem...

They said the friend was computer illiterate, not rich and gullible!! :D

Norton Internet Security 2011 or Norton 360 5 would the best set & forget security tool. Kaspersky will still inquire if you trust a program, etc. and it might get complex at times. Norton is the best and I strongly recommend it.

If your around a bit to administer, you can run Comodo with a password only you know. Then it will auto scan whenever you set it to. It will only run things it knows as good, and require the password for anything it doesn't. They can't get into trouble this way (thats the theory)

Then you can check every so often to see if it's ok to use the stuff not run before. Languy has a video on the tube setting it up this way.

But set and forget I don't know.

How you not mentioned the architeture, I imagine is a x86 machine, so:

Install Bufferzone Pro (now free) ( http://anonymz.com/?http://www.trustware.com/BufferZone-Pro-Features/ )

Set everything to high - and configure some others options to isolate the most you can automatically.

Tell that everything he/she wanna maintain, just right click and remove from bufferzone protection and to after ending a browse session, empty the sandbox.

Tell about the Privacy zone feature to use when doing important stuff.

Install Avast or Avira free and schedule updates/scans, and to move to chest/delete automatically and tell to use the right click scan before recover something from Bufferzone.

If you wanna, can install Hitman Pro (free version) to automatically scan at start up. The trial period only start to run when you use it to clean up.

That's It.

Norton Internet Security 2011 or Norton 360 5 would the best set & forget security tool. Kaspersky will still inquire if you trust a program, etc. and it might get complex at times. Norton is the best and I strongly recommend it.

I second that.

i use bufferzone. and from time to time a scan with hitman pro.that`s all i use

Tweety.Abd

I second that.

I'd like to know the reasons why you second that. Perhaps I may learn about something better than Norton, but I still do recommend Norton as the best "Set & Forget" security tool, and will continue to do so, unless proved otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have had old people (believe it or not) successfully use linux. Granted the only thing they did was hop on the interwebs, and maybe skype up their friends (old people have friends?), but they were doing it without my assistance. I dont know why people think linux is so hard, been using arch/debian based distros for a while, and, once you get to the performance on a shitty machine, going back to windows makes you feel like your stuck in some black hole that refuses to let you go.

Other than that, i was hoping for something like avert, not the one from mcaffee, but the one that has command line scanners set, all you have to do is update, and click start, and avert takes care of the rest for you.

I think most people can figure out the basics.. it when you have to remember twelve different commands and know them by heart to install and run something that is as easy as clicking an exe on Windows that gets most people.. AND lets not forget that in some cases,You have to install new packages and try to find failing or old documentation to help you..

The prerequisite for some to get the desired functionality out of Linux consist of modification which take tons of commands.. and mods that just keep going and going.. The more time you spend with it the more you get used to it .. But you can waste days trying to get something right.. Its like starting all over again with being self taught and trying to learn a foreign language at the same time.. Less comfortable with the command line.. or ( w/e the other name is for it ) and less successful if your running another UI out of the box that may have a different configuration or depend upon modules that must be installed which can in some cases break the OS.. or be Dependant on several others.. and even at that you may still have mysterious other things that must be done to get it to work.. BEFORE you ever get anywhere..

On the surface... just the normal Chrome-running individual who is going to chat up their friends and listen to stuff online... basic stuff.. it should do, BUT god forbid you want to change anything.....until you have run a few thousand lines of code.. But thats just from my point of view.. ad some of the aggravation I have had in the past with Linux.. You see an awesome setup.. try to get the mods.. install and run Conky and learn how to use it or try to expand the programs and capabilities.. ( It can get to be a nightmare a mess and when your done how to undo all of this stuff you can't see..) install all of the little goodies and addons .. Like you would do for a normal system.. You look up and you have been there for quite sometime..Things run differently I think is the big thing.. some of us simply want it all and look for it...expect it to be happening.. then after you find it doesn't work.. well you should have been using a different distribution.. Which is funny because most linux guys will tell you the problem is that your running Windows.. yet when you switch over to Linux they tell you its the wrong distribution... and you start to wonder exactly which one needs to be run to have full capabilities and program support.. or if EVEN that is possible.. :P

OH and did I mention that something that in depth is hard to get help with? How many people would actually set down even to help..

ON TASK: I would say that Linux can be just as much in danger as anything else.. AND I have always run it behind Windows and its security anyway..

Archived