Custom PC Build Questions

elohelomg

I know getting a custom built computer is always cheaper, but my question is, how much cheaper is it, when the people do it for you online?

Some websites ask you to select what you want, and all you do, is pay em, but that usually results varied price difference (which scares me).

I can do the assembly myself, which isn't an issue, but, to be honest, if its a oh 200 dollar difference, shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, im trying to build a computer, most likely some time soon.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200 USD is a big deal for putting the pieces together. Where I live, people/businesses are so happy to sell you the components, they put together the computer for free. If you buy a PC (in components), you shouldn't pay 1 cent for anything else - including transport to your home.

hm.

Well then, how much would a liquid cooled, intel i7 extreme over clocked to 3.43ghz, with 12 gigs of ram, and a reallly powerful video card cost? Roughly

Prices differ very much from country to country. Use newegg for some reference.

Prices differ very much from country to country. Use newegg for some reference.

newegg has good prices, tigerdirect.com has good prices too in my opinion. but be-careful on what you buy there on tiger-direct cuz i bought a power supply there and it was nonfunctional from hell. id rather go with newegg personally. hope you find what your looking for. good luck!

What about thermal paste?

I messed around a bit, and it seems artic 5 is the way to go. I usually (if my customers aren't cheap, which, they always are), apply regular thermal paste, the non silver kind. The last trip i made to the electronics store, i saw a bundle of thermal paste, maybe 20-25 of em' in a box, for some kinda sale. I know, they're not the best, but, im sure they do the job just fine. However, someone also told me that i could get high performance paste, for a few bucks more, but in a bundle.

Where is this magical gift of thermal paste located, because i sure as hell couldn't find it. lol

I use Arctic MX-3. I bought a syringe a while ago and it still has a lot of the paste inside. Before MX-3 was launched, I used MX-2 (it's a lot cheaper, and you only lose a degree or so...).

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you buy a MX-4 paste? It's even better than MX-3 in load conditions and only a few USD. This type of investments are very well rewarded.

Why don't you buy a MX-4 paste? It's even better than MX-3 in load conditions and only a few USD. This type of investments are very well rewarded.

I was looking into the tx-3 paste, and it seems to be a tad better. Especially at load. Check it out here

Yeah I heard Tuniq are OK. As for myself, I still have lots of MX-3 and Arctic will most probably release MX-8 until I'm done with the tube :P

Yeah I heard Tuniq are OK. As for myself, I still have lots of MX-3 and Arctic will most probably release MX-8 until I'm done with the tube :P

So, you're sticking with the mx-3 eh? Know any place they might be on sale?

Have no idea. Where I live, buying things from the web is a rarity, and buying things from US is usually stupid, because of the taxes/transport... Additionally, very few people have Internet shopping - enabled cards.

Tweety.Abd

Have no idea. Where I live, buying things from the web is a rarity, and buying things from US is usually stupid, because of the taxes/transport... Additionally, very few people have Internet shopping - enabled cards.

But buying from the internet is relatively cheaper than the prices on market where I live, but online transactions are a rarity here too.

• Administrator

LOL. Arctic Cooling thermal compound is a rarity here. :P

Archived