Lost HD Space

csmdew

Downloaded about 10 gb of avi movies and converted them to dvd and then burned to disc and now have lost about 50 gb of space. Programs were set to delete after processing and all the avi were deleted and dumped from recycle bin but the space will not return. Ran ccleaner, defragged, and ran virus check but nothing shows where my hd space went, all ideas/suggestions will be gratly appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's in a temp folder. Check the preferences of your program where it stores its temp directory when it's converting a file.

You should try deleting the $RECYCLE.BIN folder and the Recycler Folder in your root directory.. This could remove any versions of deleted files it could be holding onto.. Also I would recommend what ck_kent stated.. I remember an Adobe Program that used to make huge files from processing MP3.. and the files would be left behind.. sometimes consuming 5 GB for one MP3 each.. Several things that may have happened...

What "programs"?

Convert x and virtualdub were the only 2 prgms used and I can't find any temp files that exist. Used windirstat and it shows c drive having about 67 gb not accounted for and d drive with about 86 ; around 150+ now missing. Very stange and I have never been able to not find lost space in the past.

Windirstat says c=129.2 gb (partitioned 198gb) and d=66.7 (partitioned 100gb); total drive= 195.9 (320 but always shown as 297)

How about checking in their preferences for the default project folder? They usually save stuff in Documents, like c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\APPNAME

How about checking in their preferences for the default project folder? They usually save stuff in Documents, like c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\APPNAME

Tried that and found less than 50 mb there. Also tried search for large files on both drives and nothing. This is really bugging me cause 100gb just can't disappear.

There is one side effect of differences in drives.. when you buy a 320 GB drive or a 500 GB .. the scale of measurement of GB is different as they use a different method.. I cannot remember it exactly right off.. but it is true of every drive I have .... or have ever seen... so only showing 297 GB is actually correct for the 320 GB on the package..

Are you using Drive Protection such as Shadow Copies and Restore Points?

I have always used Disk Space Fan to look for files... and see where the space is lost.. Whenever it didn't..I tried running GetDataBack for NTFS ( off of Hiren's Boot Disk ) and used the MFT Backup to verify the current MFT.. by merging I think it is... ( without recovering anything ) I have had this happen before when shredding the Recycle Bin.. and Emptying it... In some cases shredding the empty space on the disk after checking the MFT's usually got rid of the issue... I would make sure it is just not a refresh problem in Windows... some cases it make take awhile to see new space free up.... If it is in fact a file(s) which is taking up space but is not showing up in the MFT... it is best to merge.. then look for the files in question.. try deleting them and then shred the Free Space... if the compression or file were corrupt in some way or whatever.. or the process itself was circumvented by heavy usage or interruption while removing them .. this could cause the above problem... Just in what I have seen in the past..

There is one side effect of differences in drives.. when you buy a 320 GB drive or a 500 GB .. the scale of measurement of GB is different as they use a different method.. I cannot remember it exactly right off.. but it is true of every drive I have .... or have ever seen... so only showing 297 GB is actually correct for the 320 GB on the package..

Are you using Drive Protection such as Shadow Copies and Restore Points?

I have always used Disk Space Fan to look for files... and see where the space is lost.. Whenever it didn't..I tried running GetDataBack for NTFS ( off of Hiren's Boot Disk ) and used the MFT Backup to verify the current MFT.. by merging I think it is... ( without recovering anything ) I have had this happen before when shredding the Recycle Bin.. and Emptying it... In some cases shredding the empty space on the disk after checking the MFT's usually got rid of the issue... I would make sure it is just not a refresh problem in Windows... some cases it make take awhile to see new space free up.... If it is in fact a file(s) which is taking up space but is not showing up in the MFT... it is best to merge.. then look for the files in question.. try deleting them and then shred the Free Space... if the compression or file were corrupt in some way or whatever.. or the process itself was circumvented by heavy usage or interruption while removing them .. this could cause the above problem... Just in what I have seen in the past..

Disk Space Fan says I'm using 39.6 gb of total drive but computer shows I'm using just over 142 gb but I can't find/recover the lost space. Hate to have to format and start over.

I have been able to recover about 46 gb thru rollback defragging and deleting some snapshots but it says I have twice that much free space so still some still lost on hard drive. Will keep trying everone's suggestions and maybe find some more. So anyone else with suggestions keep them coming, thanks.

Yamicsoft Manager cleaner- select all parameters (sorry in a hurry, didn't read whole thread fully)

Best is to use some drive defragmenter tool that can show hidden files location when you click on drive map. If can't find a good1 then start using Perfectdisk?

Or try http://bit.ly/quick_clean that skips windows folder and deletes temporary files which ccleaner doesn't offer.

Best is to use some drive defragmenter tool that can show hidden files location when you click on drive map. If can't find a good1 then start using Perfectdisk?

Or try http://bit.ly/quick_clean that skips windows folder and deletes temporary files which ccleaner doesn't offer.

Will try this along with post above (Yamicsoft Manager cleaner) and see if anything works, thanks.

Archived