react operating system

dock98

ReactOS® is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS has and will continue to incorporating features from newer versions and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware, a free operating system for everyone!

Website

post-3563-1195146343_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
your right unforunatelly for us nothing ,at the present time will.

will games work on it? or is this back to win 3.11

Did a quick install in a VirtualBox session, i think it looks really promising. Very shaky though, cant be used for anything atm.

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully they will continue development to a stable release :)

i agree with ya usr....im at work so i cant try right now, but im downloading as soon as i get home...i have a garbage pc i use to install OS's i wanna try out...i will re-post if it shows to be more stable on it,,what shaky issues were u having? maybe we can compare notes, and i truly believe that if they can make it more stable it will be good for the pc world, right now linux,windows and apple, however i think most would switch to freeware if things are more familiar....ive used apple and linux, and i know my way around computers very well...but i always return to windows...

had checked it long time back..

Not installed it though...

I wish the viruses and trojans didnt work on it...

With all those applications working well on it.. I think the above statement is just a wish :)

@myidisbb - Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, Enemy Territory, Halo, Quake III Arena .. a few that work on it..

i agree with ya usr....im at work so i cant try right now, but im downloading as soon as i get home...i have a garbage pc i use to install OS's i wanna try out...i will re-post if it shows to be more stable on it,,what shaky issues were u having? maybe we can compare notes, and i truly believe that if they can make it more stable it will be good for the pc world, right now linux,windows and apple, however i think most would switch to freeware if things are more familiar....ive used apple and linux, and i know my way around computers very well...but i always return to windows...

Well..the gui is very unstable, explorer windows dont refresh proper, most dialog boxes are missing/not added yet, properties dialogs for partitions etc are missing...its just not ready for any real use.

But i did try it just briefly as mentioned in a Vbox installation and its not really supported atm, so im looking foreward to your report :)

@Zeus

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4691&highlight=virus 
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4374&highlight=virus

Should give a pointer :P

well so far i havent been succesful in installing on a pc,vmware worked perfect though..was able to install firefox,surf to google,and nsane, however i didnt chnge the processor info on install screen, and it froze up and shut down. as far as independant pc is concernd, i ised an old compaq deskpro en, 700mhz celeron,onboard graphics,384 ram...6gb drive...cd/dvd drive...the hd(ide) was setup already as ntfs, when choosing default option to format and install, the install fails, i had to first delete the existing partition,recreate,then format, then install, install went fine, but aftr disc removal and reboot, the machine goes to driver loading screen, and then blank screen, rebooting and choosing "enable vga mode" doesnt seem to do anything, i reinstalled and chose lowest possible resolution,still no go, i put in a pci 64mb nvidia card still no luck , but according to website, they are aware of this issue, i am going to try few more things, if anyone still interestd i will post her.

quick info...the pc i am using has on board graphics, which apparently ROS doesnt support, the pci card i have also not supported, so for now i am at a stand still..boo hoo...have to wait for next release i guess...

Archived