Upgrading my specs

boogie

Hey guys I have an this system:

Athlon64 X2 4000+, and a Mushkin 1GB 800Mhz DDR2 ram and of course a crappy onboard video card(GeForce 6100, and this sucks(literally) some of my ram) xD

what will I consider to upgrade? should I go buy 1GB more additional ram? as my mobo can handle 4 modules OR should I buy a Grahpics Card?

lastly my proc is somewhat mainstream, should I upgrade to a 6000+ X2? but my primary concern is basically the above post.

thanks for the time. ;)

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah you may go change/upgrade your vc first, say gf8600 or gf8800 if you prefer nvidia

and add xtra 1gb ddr2 of ram if necessary

Hey guys I have an this system:

Athlon64 X2 4000+, and a Mushkin 1GB 800Mhz DDR2 ram and of course a crappy onboard video card(GeForce 6100, and this sucks(literally) some of my ram) xD

what will I consider to upgrade? should I go buy 1GB more additional ram? as my mobo can handle 4 modules OR should I buy a Grahpics Card?

lastly my proc is somewhat mainstream, should I upgrade to a 6000+ X2? but my primary concern is basically the above post.

thanks for the time. ;)

your onboard graphics chip should be able to do T & L 1.1 see if it can do T & L 2.0. if it does extra ram may be all you really need.

if you have 16xpci get it for your graphics card. if agp then go with that. worst case a normal pci card.

xp or vista?

2 gb. make sure it will actually work with your motherbaord. go to their web site. !@#$ intel ah baord i had allowed 4 1gb ram but you had to get the slower 333 vresion and not 400 ones that 512mb would run.

• Administrator

You will most likely see the biggest improvement in speed with additional RAM. Try to choose matched pairs (ie the same speed/ company as your other)

Your next point of call should be your graphics card (and most likely you will need to replace your motherboard) (Depending on of course what you actually do with your computer, if its just surfing/ word processing don't bother with this part and stick to just the RAM upgrade)

i agree.it has been my experience that an upgrade in ram solves most sloooow problems.it is the least expensive way to upgrade your computer.

your onboard graphics chip should be able to do T & L 1.1 see if it can do T & L 2.0. if it does extra ram may be all you really need.

if you have 16xpci get it for your graphics card. if agp then go with that. worst case a normal pci card.

xp or vista?

2 gb. make sure it will actually work with your motherbaord. go to their web site. !@#$ intel ah baord i had allowed 4 1gb ram but you had to get the slower 333 vresion and not 400 ones that 512mb would run.

Yep, it can do 2.0 and I have 16x PCI-E, I have XP SP2 btw... already checked the website and my mobo allows 800Mhz of ram.. its DDR2 btw :welcome:

You will most likely see the biggest improvement in speed with additional RAM. Try to choose matched pairs (ie the same speed/ company as your other)

Your next point of call should be your graphics card (and most likely you will need to replace your motherboard) (Depending on of course what you actually do with your computer, if its just surfing/ word processing don't bother with this part and stick to just the RAM upgrade)

Yep, tried added with my friend some 512Mb ram and IT DID do a boost, seems that my onboard sips 128Mb on the ram

i agree.it has been my experience that an upgrade in ram solves most sloooow problems.it is the least expensive way to upgrade your computer.

hehe yeah it bogs down some of my programs and my onboard graphics can pretty handle games like RainbowSix, Doom3, Farcry, Hitman: Bloodmoney, Medieval 2 and other newer games, but the onboard has its limitations :welcome:

new comp

Are you serious or joking? because its not funny to me =/ :P

I was joking of course. On other hands when you ll buy a new desktop get a mobo without onboard VC, disabled hardware are sometimes sources of conflict. Seems that you getting more confident playing inside the hood now since you added ram and stuff. Roam a bit over the net and see hardware forum for compatibility and performance. Since you spoke about games i assume you re a gamer and not using your comp only for surfin, im afraid that you ll need to change both VC and Ram. As Lite suggest look for matched pair of ram (corsair) (check the spec of your mobo for RAM compatibility)Your wallet will dictate how far you can go crazy with new hardware. Benchmark your stuff before and after changing hardware.

BTW whats your mobo?

Yep, it can do 2.0 and I have 16x PCI-E, I have XP SP2 btw... already checked the website and my mobo allows 800Mhz of ram.. its DDR2 btw :welcome:

16 x pci that is free. hmmm this is a no brainer.

thanks so far on the reply guys :)

basically I've narrow down to 2 cards(don't hate me because of my budget xD) the X1900XT and GeForce 8600GT, the 2 are on the same pricing. What im asking is; the 1900 is faster in terms of performance but the 8600GT is DX10 capable and a new generation card. Im looking for longer lasting card, about 1-2 years. Also I've heard that the 2600XT is slower than 8600GT?

cheers,

Archived