Appending Avi Files

csmdew

I have 2 avi files that are 2 parts to a movie, after I merged them the file was 77,9 gb but 1 was only 700 mb and the other 1 was 699mb. I used virtualdub to add avi-b to avi-b. Anyone with some exp on how to append avi files together could you plrase provide some assistance or tell me a better program to do this function, thanks

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use mediacoder if you know how to use it or use xilisoft.

I use xmediarecode

don't increase bitrate and resolution

You need to encode the 77.9 GB file :)

If you have Adobe CS5 installed then you will find a "Adobe Media Encoder".

MediaCoder (|I think) and some other apps have CUDA hardware acceleration implemented, if you own a Nvidia card. It will dramatically speed up the process, research it ;)

Downloaded mediacoder but don't see how it will append file 2 to file 1. Also about transcoding the 77,9 gb file, my question was more to why the file size of 2 avi file at 699mb and 700mb could get to the 77.9gb and if it was right. Also in convert x I see a line under menu for appending a file but it never becomes availlable (always greyed out). Converting files are no problem, I just need help with putting 2 or more avi's together.

Grab a copy of Boilsft Joiner. Does good job if bitrates are same. Also CONvertX if you want to make DVD from .avi's. CONvertX dosen't care about bit rates and will merge to make DVD.

Do a search for Free video joiners, there are a few on the net. If they do the job for you at least they are free.

The big size is probably because the files are not compressed/encoded, so you have "raw" video/audio data. You want to do this properly? Get Adobe Premiere CS5, or even better, get the whole suite, the tools in it might come handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a better set of instructions for virtualdub and it worked out just fine, thanks all for the help

Using Allok Video Joiner and/or Boilsoft here without any such issue.

You can even use ReComp to compress it further.

Which of the 2 do u prefer or is easiest to use, thanks

Which of the 2 do u prefer or is easiest to use, thanks

Both are equally easy to use, in fact, both UI is about the same.

Fast AVI MPEG Joiner (there's even a portable version)

I think i've used Boilsoft Video Joiner, Easy Video Joiner and AVI-MPEG-RM-WMV Joiner, but i prefer the one from above.

I will give boilsoft a try but now I have another problem; the files is supposed to have the subtitles hardcode but they do not show up and if I try to add the subtitle using virtualdub I still can't get them to show up. Need some help from someone who works with movie files, thanks.

You need to give detailed information about what exactly you are trying to do, and all the media files involved in the process. What application did you settle on? If you have Premiere/other Adobe projects, I might be able to help if you upload them somewhere.

Fast AVI MPEG Joiner (there's even a portable version)

I think i've used Boilsoft Video Joiner, Easy Video Joiner and AVI-MPEG-RM-WMV Joiner, but i prefer the one from above.

Don't mind giving Fast AVI MPEG Joiner a go here.:fear:

You need to give detailed information about what exactly you are trying to do, and all the media files involved in the process. What application did you settle on? If you have Premiere/other Adobe projects, I might be able to help if you upload them somewhere.

Files are too big to upload and would take me a week to do anyways, but what I did was download a movie that was supposed to be hard coded with the subtitles but none showed up on media player eventhough I had it indicated to show. So I guessed that the file did not have the subs so I downloaded a .ssa file for the movie and tried using virtualdub to input them and it did not work either so still get no subs for the movie. I don't what many movies with subs but would like to be able to when required or learn how to add them to a movie file (avi). I don't use adobe for anything but are using srt to ssa and subtitler 2.4 along with virtualdub to try to make this happen and followed instructions to the letter. Thanks

Archived