Hard drive question

zer0buRn

Hi,

Recently I bought a 300GB hard drive and when I installed it Windows is only reading it at 127GB. Does anyone know why this is? I can't figure this out its driving me insane.

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh that problem. Believe me, it's not an uncommon problem. It's the way Windows recognises large hard drives. There is a way to fix this... and mind I'm only going on what I can remember. If this doesn't work I'm sure I can find the fix easily. Before I begin, please ensure that you're running the latest Service Pack (2). This was due to correct this very issue or though it still appears from time to time on other people's PC's with SP2 installed.

Basically click on Start > Run > Type "compmgmt.msc" > Click on "Ok".

As the Computer Management loads up, you'll see a thread title "Storage" on the left pane > with "Disk Management" underneath it. Click on Disk Management.

Now depending on whether you've actually used the HDD just yet or if anything vital is stored on it you will have 2 options.

The first would be to totally format the drive, using NTFS. This may take some time because of the size of the hard drive, but once it's done it should be fine. Afterwards reboot. Go back into the Computer Management again and see if it's being recognised as the larger HDD.

If there are already files stored on it which you don't want to lose, or have the time to backup, the best way to sort this out would be to extend volume if that option is available. You'll probably notice the colour of the remaining space being black and unused and unformatted. Simply select extend volume. You may or may not need to format it though. Technically you shouldn't as it was already done when you first did this. If you don't have that option, then all is not lost. With such a huge amount being on another partition, why not use this for your downloads?

You never mentioned if this is your primary or secondary HDD so you'll have to let me know but definately try the first method IF you are using SP2 AND it's not your main HDD with Windows installed on it.

Worked perfectly!

I went to compmgmt.msc as mentioned doubled click on my disks and it was reading the 300GB (127 used / 151 unused) so what I did was right clicked on the main partition and selected Extend Volume and was able to merge the rest of my drive!

Brilliant thanks so much guys easy as pie (thanks to your help, lol)

win xp sp1 which was suppose to solve everything is the main problem. btw if you dont have sp2 you need to find 2 sp2 fixest for large harddrive problems also. (hiberation problem even if you dont use it)

I'm on Vista now, like I said in post #4 I was able to get it to work. So this issue is solved.

Thanks again.

Archived