Is Ad Muncher really effective?

x3r0

I've never used any Ads blocker software before... not even ever switch on my Kaspersky integrated Ads Blocker...

What I'm curious about is how effective these kind of programs on daily surfing using any web browser?

I've read the "introduction" of Ad Muncher on its website, it's very interesting, promising... But I mean can this software really makes Internet surfing much faster? Considered I'm too lazy to install and try this program for a trial use...

I surf the Internet using Opera (with some tweaks like block all popups - except that I really know this is a popup that I want, turn off images - yes it's makes surfing a lot faster, if I need to see some images, just right click on the images spot and choose reload images, and switch on "Enable plug-ins only on demand" - TA DA!!!, anything web content based on Flash or Silverlight (ads too) won't even load up unless I click on them). I also never used any "Ads-ware" program...

Do you think Ad Muncher can help me gain more speed surfing on the Internet? Please share your experience/opinion if you're using Ad Muncher. Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Ad Muncher, and I have to say it does a great job on blocking ads. As for your questions whether it makes the surfing faster; it certainly makes the surfing faster by blocking the ads and unwanted contents, but besides that I don't know if it makes the website load any faster, but it does save your bandwith :) and about the faster downloads and all, I'm not sure if they are true, I've tested it, but I didn't notice any difference. I hope I were able to help.

Do you have limited bandwidth or a very slow connection? I'm curious why did you take all those torturous steps on Opera.

You're using KIS? You mentioned its ad blocker, I assume you're talking about AntiBanner. Switch it on as it provides great functionality, even better if you're using it with Firefox/Chrome/IE (AntiBanner extension, right click on ad/banner, add it to block list, data is shared with the KSN cloud). It's much better than just relying on Opera. I hope there will be a KIS extension to Opera also, a hack to make the right-click "Add to AntiBanner" visible was available, but does not work well.

Have never tried Ad Mucher but I have tried various other 3rd party ad blocker apps and I always find myself running back to the Adblock firefox/mozilla addon. It's very versatile and extremely effective...it's also very light weight and easy on resorces. If you haven't tried it yet, you should before installing an entirely separate app.;)

I use Ad Muncher, and I have to say it does a great job on blocking ads. As for your questions whether it makes the surfing faster; it certainly makes the surfing faster by blocking the ads and unwanted contents, but besides that I don't know if it makes the website load any faster, but it does save your bandwith :) and about the faster downloads and all, I'm not sure if they are true, I've tested it, but I didn't notice any difference. I hope I were able to help.

tagtail072293, thanks for sharing your experiences ...

Do you have limited bandwidth or a very slow connection? I'm curious why did you take all those torturous steps on Opera.

You're using KIS? You mentioned its ad blocker, I assume you're talking about AntiBanner. Switch it on as it provides great functionality, even better if you're using it with Firefox/Chrome/IE (AntiBanner extension, right click on ad/banner, add it to block list, data is shared with the KSN cloud). It's much better than just relying on Opera. I hope there will be a KIS extension to Opera also, a hack to make the right-click "Add to AntiBanner" visible was available, but does not work well.

Yes, my internet both connection speed is slow and have limited bandwidth from my ISP...

Have never tried Ad Mucher but I have tried various other 3rd party ad blocker apps and I always find myself running back to the Adblock firefox/mozilla addon. It's very versatile and extremely effective...it's also very light weight and easy on resorces. If you haven't tried it yet, you should before installing an entirely separate app.;)

I only seldom use FIrefox since it must be installed many extensions only to get simple things done quickly, and they make Firefox loads slower... But thanks for sharing your experiences...

yes, ad muncher can block something that adblock can't

like some flash video site, the default filter will just block it.

with adblock, don't know how to do that..

adblock is enough for me.. tried admuncher but you sometimes get things blocked you dont want to have blocked.. + its not free (always problems with activation)

@x3r0:

You won't notice any additional speed unless you're on dial-up.

Ad Muncher just removes ads, which in turn preserves the aesthetics of a site.

I have just tried AdMuncher recently and uninstalled it after some hours.

I was not satisfied with it for these reason:

1. Activation was a bit long and exhusting.

2. Updating filters and blocklists is not very easy (need to have Polish IP).

3. Does not block "all ads" as it were told by the company.

4. There is some useless and white spaces from removing the ads (mostly Google ads).

5. Page loading slowed a bit according to some cache setting of program.

The reasons why I switched back to AdBlock Plus:

1. It is free.

2. Updating filters is very easy and almost does not need any user action.

3. With adding Fanboy's list + Easylist your borwser will not miss any ads (as far as I have seen).

4. It removes spaces and white space created by removing ads (like google ads).

5. Did not affect page loading speed, even made it faster.

6. It installs on your Firefox and work with it and not separately, AdMuncher uses more resources and works separately and may cause system performance affects.

**Note: I myself use AdBlock Plus with these filters:

- EasyPrivacy+EasyList Combo

- Fanboy's List (English)

- Fanboy's Tracking/Stats Blocking

- Fanboy's International Tracking/Stats Blocking

You may add Advertisy filters but it will make some pages unsorted and corrupt.

I also use, Ghostery (blocking web-bugs, AdMuncher extra feature) + BetterPrivacy + NoScript (you also can use user-agent switcher addons to hid your user-agent).

So, I see no benefits of using AdMuncher.

Thanks for topic,

Nima

6. It installs on your Firefox and work with it and not separately, AdMuncher uses more resources and works separately and may cause system performance affects.

This IMO is its biggest drawback - another process to run @ startup, along with AV, Comodo firewall, oc'ing tool, throttling tool....

I use abplus, but I have installed simple adblock for ie9 as well, when the mood strikes me to use ie... :rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
stylemessiah

I was not satisfied with it for these reason:

1. Activation was a bit long and exhusting.

2. Updating filters and blocklists is not very easy (need to have Polish IP).

ROFL

1. Activation is only long if you dont PAY FOR IT

2. Updating is easy if you PAY FOR IT

I PAY FOR IT, and it works brilliantly.

Before posting such drivel please preface your post with, i am using a PIRATE COPY

Archived