speed up windows vista

dock98

Windows Vista is the most notorious operating system in the world at this time,

but this doesn’t mean it’s also the fastest.

While I can’t help you solve those well known driver problems or hardware compatibility issues,

I will try to give you some quick hints on how to improve the speed of this operating system.

Windows Vista Ultimate Box

No matter if your computer is a low-end one or a “space ship”,

if you optimize your Windows Vista, things are going to improve for sure,

but it’s also obvious that people using low and mid-range systems are going to enjoy this more than the happy ones

having Quad Core CPUs and 4GB of memory or more

full article

post-3563-1194001899_thumb.png

• Replies 15
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe then you would like to try Linux for even more speed improvement, like I did? (I'm dual-booting Ubuntu and XP)

been there done that.no thanks. too grubby.pardon my pun

1st one is a known one

2nd point "disable Remote Differential Compression" need to check that...

3rd point Known

4th point.. simply disable Aero.. whats the point in purchsing Ultimate ?

5th point Duh!!

1st one is a known one

3rd point Known

5th point Duh!!

i agree.i just got a new laptop with vista home premium and it has almost the same features as ultimate without the features you designated.i cant wait to put wxp pro on it.that will make it even faster than any vista.

1st one is a known one

3rd point Known

5th point Duh!!

i agree.i just got a new laptop with vista home premium and it has almost the same features as ultimate without the features you designated.i cant wait to put wxp pro on it.that will make it even faster than any vista.

Personally I may not be able to stand the full version as well

I prefer vLiting the Vista edition to around ~600Mb

It works wonderfully fine.

have had no issues .. been using it for almost a year.

It has been very stable.. have not taxed it much.. but failry fine

Got BSODs a few times but most were drivers related.. or improper shutdown...

:P the only real problem i've found with vista is the file transfer speed it's so much slower than xp but otherwise i cant say i've had any other problems with it,i guess i've been lucky although i think i'll have a look at ready boost to see if it makes a noticable difference,i got 4gig of flash on order so i'll find out in a few days :P

:P the only real problem i've found with vista is the file transfer speed it's so much slower than xp but otherwise i cant say i've had any other problems with it,i guess i've been lucky although i think i'll have a look at ready boost to see if it makes a noticable difference,i got 4gig of flash on order so i'll find out in a few days :P

Actually its faster than XP after applying a patch

The data rate which is around 330Kbps on all the XP units gives me ~500Kbps on Vista.. after applying the performance patch

Here's the Link - KB938979

:angry: well thank you very much Zeus_Hunt will give the patch a go and hopefully get the same results as you got. :)

:sneaky: thanks very much mate its much appreciated.. :D

:angry: the only real problem i've found with vista is the file transfer speed it's so much slower than xp but otherwise i cant say i've had any other problems with it,i guess i've been lucky although i think i'll have a look at ready boost to see if it makes a noticable difference,i got 4gig of flash on order so i'll find out in a few days :)

The data rate which is around 330Kbps on all the XP units gives me ~500Kbps on Vista.. after applying the performance patch

And it's a big diffrens when on Linux filesystem and on Windows filesystem.

Microsoft should have used that new filesystem that they said they would some time ago then it maybe could even compete a bit with the filesystems that are useable with Linux: Ext2, Ext3, XFS, ReiserFS and some more.

1 think is for sure,if your a gamer then stay on XP,but anyway i don't recommend Vista because of the drivers issues and of course the high system requierments.Better stay on XP some more time.

:angry: the only real problem i've found with vista is the file transfer speed it's so much slower than xp but otherwise i cant say i've had any other problems with it,i guess i've been lucky although i think i'll have a look at ready boost to see if it makes a noticable difference,i got 4gig of flash on order so i'll find out in a few days :)

thanks z, i will give this a try on my laptop b4 i install wxp.

:) the only real problem i've found with vista is the file transfer speed it's so much slower than xp but otherwise i cant say i've had any other problems with it,i guess i've been lucky although i think i'll have a look at ready boost to see if it makes a noticable difference,i got 4gig of flash on order so i'll find out in a few days :)

yeah the file transfer is one of the biggest bs vista crap i have even seen. im guessing this is one of the patches that vista sp1 will have if they ever release it. will have to try it later when i get off work today

Thanks for the update.. There's lots of tweak tools for vista ultimate that are great. Yea it's a CPU hog but Ram saver pro 7 fixes that . I run Xp Pro black with vmware workstation and dont think it's any faster.

Archived