Windows 7 partitions

bigjohn

G'day

I have installed W7 in two different HDDs, (one is a spare drive) in one there are two partition, one 100MB and the other the rest of the dksk. Both partitions have data. The other HDD has two partitions as well but the 100MB one ia empty and unallocated.

For the two installations I used the same installation disk. I tried to fix it by pasting the data from the other 100MB partition and the PC would not boot. I deleted the partition and the PC booted fine.

Would that be the reason I cannot do System Restore, nor restore Acronis images?

Please see the pictures. Pictures of the spare drive not posted.

post-1109-0-55615000-1307200317_thumb.jp

post-1109-0-41941400-1307200337_thumb.jp

• Replies 3
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeetPirate

That 100MB partition is automatically created by Windows 7. I'm not sure what exactly is stored in there but I think it's some boot related data and for BitLocker feature to work. It is made by default when you format the drive from Windows installation. Most likely the second 100MB partition is empty because all the data is usually stored in the 100MB system reserved partition on the first physically connected drive.

I don't really know about the Acronis thing, never used it.

well the 100 meg pertation contains files to boot in recovery mode new to windows 7 (most think its bitlocker but its not)

now only way to get red of it is to trick windows 7 install when your installing it

Thanks guys. I'll look into it next time I do a clean install.

Archived