What HDD and RAM for my laptop (macbook pro).

Nemesis

i found this one at NCIX (good representation) and I was just wondering what people thought. a 1TB would be nice but cant find one slim enough for the thin body. its for my Macbook Pro and the one I have dosent have adequate room for windows and mac OS. I do have an external for all my backups/installers/"special tools" and such but i want room for my softwares on both sides and TV shows/movies i am currently watching.

no point having a laptop if you cant carry it around and have everything you want on it.

EDIT: on a related topic (same laptop) i was looking at upgrading the ram at the same time, same site

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some I have seen a few complaints... but I have been happy with the Fujitsu I have in mine.. Thing is I think.. Seagate bought them out.. on HD's but I cannot be sure.. I mean really.. EVERY single drive out there WILL fail eventually... You simply cannot get around that.. its the media they are built on/with...

Mine is only a 60 GB drive and I like the drive small.. good RPMs.. with only programs and OS installed on it.. Mine has always been quick, reliable.. bounces back when it comes to strange problems.. Like MFT and so on... has never had an issue.. is on 24 hours a day... on going since 2004/5 when it was purchased... Lots of downloading and off-loading, testing of programs... All I have done is use a shredder program on the drive to keep it clean... and UD... not one bad sector on the drive...

The other system I have used has had two HD's in that time frame with less use one Maxtor and one Western Digital.. BOTH of which are 80GB and have bad sectors.. failing sectors/block or w/e in the Maxtor which makes it impossible to use as it slows the whole thing down.. and occasionally crashed even with the block allocated out..

Some I have seen a few complaints... but I have been happy with the Fujitsu I have in mine.. Thing is I think.. Seagate bought them out.. on HD's but I cannot be sure.. I mean really.. EVERY single drive out there WILL fail eventually... You simply cannot get around that.. its the media they are built on/with...

Mine is only a 60 GB drive and I like the drive small.. good RPMs.. with only programs and OS installed on it.. Mine has always been quick, reliable.. bounces back when it comes to strange problems.. Like MFT and so on... has never had an issue.. is on 24 hours a day... on going since 2004/5 when it was purchased... Lots of downloading and off-loading, testing of programs... All I have done is use a shredder program on the drive to keep it clean... and UD... not one bad sector on the drive...

The other system I have used has had two HD's in that time frame with less use one Maxtor and one Western Digital.. BOTH of which are 80GB and have bad sectors.. failing sectors/block or w/e in the Maxtor which makes it impossible to use as it slows the whole thing down.. and occasionally crashed even with the block allocated out..

i think lemons are unavoidable no matter what you buy. just luck of the draw. i just dont want to blindly buy stuff without asking people i think i can trust, and know more than me on such topics.

Hello,

What is your brand of laptop?

About the H.D.D. you have already chosen the best, in my opinion Western Digital is the best brand out there, I have used it's products for many years, from Desktops to Networks and Servers; I highly suggest you to keep on WD.

About the RAM, I suggest you in first place, Crucial and then Corsiar, both of them are very professional company and make the very best RAMs.

If you need more info, just tell me; you first choose the brand and some basic details (i.e Memory size) and amout of money you want to spend.

Thanks,

Nima

Hello,

About the H.D.D. you have already chosen the best, in my opinion Western Digital is the best brand out there, I have used it's products for many years, from Desktops to Networks and Servers; I highly suggest you to keep on WD.

About the RAM, I suggest you in first place, Crucial and then Corsiar, both of them are very professional company and make the very best RAMs.

If you need more info, just tell me; you first choose the brand and some basic details (i.e Memory size) and amout of money you want to spend.

Thanks,

Nima

my laptop is a MacBook Pro 15" i7 processor 2.66 GHz 1066 mhz ram speed. Corsair dosent have my laptop configuration on their page...

EDIT: crucial has it, but same specs as the mushkin that i posted/same price too

Hello,

Thanks,

Nima

my laptop is a MacBook Pro 15" i7 processor 2.66 GHz 1066 mhz ram speed. Corsair dosent have my laptop configuration on their page...

Good,

I have found two model compatible with your laptop.

1. Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)

Specs: DDR3 PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066MHz) • CL=7

2. The same as above but 1 single 4GB module.

First price is $89.99 second one is $49.99.

Specs is only a part of story, try to search for benchmarks and test results.

bought the HDD today, im looking forward to installing it later on in the week

Congratulations!

Which brand did you buy? Western Digital?

Congratulations!

Which brand did you buy? Western Digital?

yupp, same one posted above. WD scorpio black 750GB 7200 RPM :)

Happy macbook core2duo owner here (running windows only :P)

I have removed my optical drive and trew in a $15 caddy from ebay, and installed an ssd in my optical bay

Kinda radical, but i never used the optical anyway, and now its blazing fast and still has 500 gigs of hdd space available

Also: if you remove the optical, it seems impossible to install windows from an usb drive (even external dvd drives are a no-go)

Happy macbook core2duo owner here (running windows only :P)

I have removed my optical drive and trew in a $15 caddy from ebay, and installed an ssd in my optical bay

Kinda radical, but i never used the optical anyway, and now its blazing fast and still has 500 gigs of hdd space available

Also: if you remove the optical, it seems impossible to install windows from an usb drive (even external dvd drives are a no-go)

i thought about doing that, however i use my dvd drive alot for burning movies so id rather keep it for now. maybe when I build i tower i wont need it anymore, and when SSD's go down in price

Archived